Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Whenever I get new glasses, I keep the old ones as a backup. May not be my exact prescription but are good enough in an emergency.

I wear bifocals (with the line) and once had frames that were rimless on the bottom; the top had a frame. There was a nearly invisible "string" that went around the bottom edge of the lens to keep it in place.

My mother used to say she liked wearing glasses in her older years because they hid the circles under her eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Going to look into Zenni, thanks for all the reply's!

Old 10-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Whenever I get new glasses, I keep the old ones as a backup. May not be my exact prescription but are good enough in an emergency.

I wear bifocals (with the line) and once had frames that were rimless on the bottom; the top had a frame. There was a nearly invisible "string" that went around the bottom edge of the lens to keep it in place.

My mother used to say she liked wearing glasses in her older years because they hid the circles under her eyes.
Your mother....a very wise women

Old 10-19-2017, 05:18 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I got a pair of bifocals with clip on shades from Zenni for about $35. They are very light, and I worried they would be flimsy. BUT they have held up quite well. I mostly use them for watching TV, if not on my face, they're in a case.

I ordered single-vision clear and sunglasses from goggles4u; $22 for both pairs. I use them just for driving; they live in my car, in a case. The frame of the shades broke in just a few weeks; the vendor replaced them with a more expensive frame, which has held up well, but they don't "perch" on top of my head, so I find them slipping off when I go inside a store.
The clear ones lost a screw after about a year, but have otherwise held up well (I use them only when driving at night, so rarely).

Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You CAN get rimless with progressive lenses (no line bifocals). I own them. I have no idea why that wouldn't work with bifocals. Trifocals? Yeah, maybe not. . .

PS Try Costco. WAY better and less expensive than anyplace else we've found. And online? Yeah, cheaper and good quality IF YOU WEAR SINGLE VISION LENSES. Notoriously inaccurate for progressives. I have no experience with bifocals.
I have had very good luck with an online company called Coastal Lenses....super easy walk through on how to order them, fit perfectly, loved them. First pair free

https://www.coastal.com/eyewear?iv_=..._brand&src=bbs

Also, I've bought my new glasses at Walmart 2x the last couple of years and no problems. Dirt cheap frames to fashionable frames were available.

Last edited by JanND; 10-20-2017 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have had very good luck with an online company called Coastal Lenses....super easy walk through on how to order them, fit perfectly, loved them. First pair free

https://www.coastal.com/eyewear?iv_=..._brand&src=bbs

Also, I've bought my new glasses at Walmart 2x the last couple of years and no problems. Dirt cheap frames to fashionable frames were available.
Thanks Jan!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Got computer glasses from Zenni to cut down on the blue rays in the screen and helps with eye fatigue. Also got reading glasses from Zenni to read books. And my third pair are progressive transitional (photo grays) from Zenni that I wear every day. Also bought a spare pair of those for when I lose the originals in the house. I should own part of Zenni by now. LOL

Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post

I would love smaller frameless glasses, but I guess I can not have them because of the bifocal and transitional lens
I've had frameless very small glasses with progressive bifocals. And i have very tiny wire frame glasses with progressive bifocals.

I've also seen smaller wire frame glasses with regular bifocals (nor progressive bifocals)

So if you want small, even somewhat tiny, glasses with bifocals, they are definitely available. Mine - both the very small frameless glasses and the tiny wire frame glasses - have worked great with progressive bifocals.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-20-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 AM

64 posts, read 62,416 times
My glasses are a small, lightweight wire frame with standard bi-focal lenses (my eyes would not adjust to progressives) and transition lenses.
Just so you are aware they now make transition lenses that will transition in the car.
They have a 10% tint from the factory but do not get as dark as regular sunglasses but I have had absolutely no issues with mine as far as being in the sun and driving.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:40 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
If you have a strong prescription, high index lenses are like a miracle, they are so thin and light weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement