Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Seems to be no shortage of low-income senior housing in Texas.

She could start, here:

https://www.lowincomehousing.us/TX/fort_worth.html - income limit is shown as $25k.

https://www.senioradvisor.com/fort-w...senior-housing - page states $24,300 of "adjusted income." No idea what "adjusted" means.

https://www.elderoptionsoftexas.com/...or-housing.htm

We do have waiting lists around here - about two years, on average. So, as mentioned above, that needs to be factored in as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
From someone who has been there, done that: move as soon as you can while you are still able to do it reasonably easily. Ten years ago I realized that my large rural horse property was becoming too much to manage by myself and I couldn't afford to hire enough help to ease the burden. I have back and hip issues along with fibromyalgia and could imagine what the future holds. I feared that if I waited too long I wouldn't be able to easily prepare it for market and that there could be deferred maintenance that could be a problem.

So I got the place market-ready as fast as I could and got the process started. It took seven months to sell - rural properties like that are a niche market. But sell it did. I've never looked back and wish I'd done it a lot sooner.

I moved back to civilization and while at first it was a culture shock, I did adjust and have learned to appreciate having easy access to everything.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I live in an income based handicapped apartment. I didn't realize until I moved here what a difference it makes. Shelves in the closets are lower, there are a lot of grab bars in the bathroom, & essentially it is set up to accommodate a wheelchair.

I'm not to that point yet but do use my walker quite a bit. For me, this is the perfect set up.
I think you need to start a new thread and tell us all about your new place and how you finally decided to move. And you picked the right time. Months of perfect weather now! You won't be missing the snow shoveling!

Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I was going to say somewhere in the Midcities - HEB area but agreed FTW would be an affordable option.

Yes OP you need to get rid of the mobile home and get back to civilization.
Really agree; and look for towns that provide senior recreation centers and other services. Many of them provide pickup and drop off, lunch, fun etc. City of Irving has nice senior services as an example. DART provides doorstep public transit for the qualified. Do some research.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:16 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Yes, you are correct and I am nowhere near needing an ALF. It is possible for my mobility issues to be resolved, but that is another post. Thanks for your input - I appreciate it much.
Hunter Plaza apartments are in downtown Fort Worth. You would have a wonderful opportunity to get out and be social. Can you walk 6-8 blocks? If so, these apartments provide some subsidy based on income level, as does the Hillside Apartments immediately east (three blocks from Sundance Square) but they always have a waiting list...these are like little houses. I've lived there many times and sorely miss this little community. Husband wants to live in a house until one of us falters.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Thank you all for such wise and wonderful insight and suggestions. I know I have a decision to make -- I love my beautiful Magnolia Cottage (my name for my home LOL), but reality is beginning to set in and I am hearing you guys loud and clear.

I'm really glad I posted this - experience is a wise teacher and you guys have been so helpful. Thanks again! I will follow up at some point in the future when things change and I land somewhere new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement