Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:59 AM

106,532 posts, read 108,647,625 times

Advertisements

that is just what we did , every account has a beneficiary .

however not all brokerages allow beneficiaries on a joint account . vanguard dropped that ability and i dropped vanguard because of it . not only that but they never notified us they were doing away with our listed beneficiaries .

they wanted us to either use trusts or split the joint account in to two individual accounts which can accept beneficiaries .why bother , we pulled our shares out , transferred it to chase and got private client status along with lots of perks . today common deaths happen a whole lot more and vanguards reasoning for no longer not allowing it because it is rare is no reason in my book .

my sons best friends in-laws were killed a few months ago when a drunk plowed in to them . look At vegas or any other terrorist act-it happens .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-21-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,898,576 times
Frankly, we have put off forming a trust because we also can't decide on a trustee. Our siblings are our age or older. We have no children. Our 13 nieces/nephews are aged 19 to 29, none of them married or really settled down; none own homes, many are in early stages of careers where they are "finding themselves" and doing some job-hopping, trying out different parts of the country and world. We are not close to any of them, geographically or otherwise.

We think now that we will simply do POD's on our US bank and brokerage accounts to a local charity and change our house deeds so that they also go to local charities, one in the US and one in MX. Just going to skip the trust/will issue altogether. All of our siblings have done well, on my husband's side they inherited quite a bit and are capable of taking care of their own children, we feel.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,238,538 times
So it sounds like I’m good with the brokerage accounts, as they have beneficiaries.

And I believe the will and subsequent probate are the way to go with the real estate. There is no way in hell I am giving some trust 2% of what is probably 4M in real estate to simply change the name on the deeds, per my wishes.

To the person who mentioned changing the deed while I’m alive...... I don’t share any financial decisions with anyone, and never have my whole life. So I don’t think I could ever be comfortable with that, but I understand it’s a great idea for most.

Are there any tax implications I may be overlooking?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM

as long as it is not a joint account all brokerages should let you add beneficiaries .

so far i only ran in to vanguard who wouldn't let us keep them on a joint account . makes you wonder their real plan as they have been promoting their trust dept a lot

Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
So it sounds like I’m good with the brokerage accounts, as they have beneficiaries.

And I believe the will and subsequent probate are the way to go with the real estate. There is no way in hell I am giving some trust 2% of what is probably 4M in real estate to simply change the name on the deeds, per my wishes.

To the person who mentioned changing the deed while I’m alive...... I don’t share any financial decisions with anyone, and never have my whole life. So I don’t think I could ever be comfortable with that, but I understand it’s a great idea for most.

Are there any tax implications I may be overlooking?
shouldn't be . only issue is if asset protection as part of medicaid planning was in the cards your home in the trust becomes an un-protected asset if revocable during your lifetime . but other than that no issues other than pertaining to defects in the paperwork if it comes up .

Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is just what we did , every account has a beneficiary .

however not all brokerages allow beneficiaries on a joint account . vanguard dropped that ability and i dropped vanguard because of it . not only that but they never notified us they were doing away with our listed beneficiaries .

they wanted us to either use trusts or split the joint account in to two individual accounts which can accept beneficiaries .why bother , we pulled our shares out , transferred it to chase and got private client status along with lots of perks . today common deaths happen a whole lot more and vanguards reasoning for no longer not allowing it because it is rare is no reason in my book .

my sons best friends in-laws were killed a few months ago when a drunk plowed in to them . look At vegas or any other terrorist act-it happens .
What have you done for any real estate you own?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:21 AM

it is in an LLC partnership with other people and willed . it is a business and will be probated .

Old 10-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Frankly, we have put off forming a trust because we also can't decide on a trustee. Our siblings are our age or older. We have no children. Our 13 nieces/nephews are aged 19 to 29, none of them married or really settled down; none own homes, many are in early stages of careers where they are "finding themselves" and doing some job-hopping, trying out different parts of the country and world. We are not close to any of them, geographically or otherwise.

We think now that we will simply do POD's on our US bank and brokerage accounts to a local charity and change our house deeds so that they also go to local charities, one in the US and one in MX. Just going to skip the trust/will issue altogether. All of our siblings have done well, on my husband's side they inherited quite a bit and are capable of taking care of their own children, we feel.
How are you changing the deed on property such that you will not need a will?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:24 AM

the property is held in the name of our LLC . it is actually shares in the business that get willed to the kids . kind of like share's in a private equity fund . the property is owned by the llc which still goes on , it just gets different partners . same as when we bought in . there is no deed in our name . our llc holds title and that was there long before we were partners ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-21-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is in an LLC partnership with other people and willed . it is a business and will be probated .
Okay, very different from mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement