Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many people age with many regrets.
Life is a chain of personal choices on an uneven playing field. You choose your friends, your mate, your work, your life, your values. Sometimes things intrude that you cannot control -- you get drafted, your company shuts down, disease or death of a family member. You make the best choices you can at the time (as you perceive them) and move forward knowing that something out of your control could change everything in an instant. Opportunities come and go. You can regret choices but can't go back to 'fix' it -- you do better next time. At the end of the day you are what you are....the product of your choices. Hindsight is most helpful if you will face the same choices under the same circumstances again... that doesn't happen. You learn what you can and move on. Why be regretful?

Reminds me of Brando's character, Terry Malloy, who had that famous line from On the Waterfront: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it." Given his opportunities, could Terry Malloy have "been somebody" if he made other choices? Maybe. He was at the end of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Life is a chain of personal choices on an uneven playing field. You choose your friends, your mate, your work, your life, your values. Sometimes things intrude that you cannot control -- you get drafted, your company shuts down, disease or death of a family member. You make the best choices you can at the time (as you perceive them) and move forward knowing that something out of your control could change everything in an instant. Opportunities come and go. You can regret choices but can't go back to 'fix' it -- you do better next time. At the end of the day you are what you are....the product of your choices. Hindsight is most helpful if you will face the same choices under the same circumstances again... that doesn't happen. You learn what you can and move on. Why be regretful?

Reminds me of Brando's character, Terry Malloy, who had that famous line from On the Waterfront: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it." Given his opportunities, could Terry Malloy have "been somebody" if he made other choices? Maybe. He was at the end of the story.
Very wise words.

"Coulda, woulda, shoulda" are words that don't amount to anything yet they crop up all the time in people's lives.

Also there's the saying that defines the difference between the types of friends and family, "There is the family you are born into and the friends who are the family you choose to keep."

You make the choices you are able to make and try to make the best of those that are made for you.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
And I believe that Terry Malloy was only a has-been because he decided he was, he decided he was at the end of his story. I suppose it was to late for that particular dream -- and I'm unlikely to be an Olympic gymnast no matter how hard I try from here but he could have decided on a new dream, a new story. Instead he choice to forever look back and dwell on the tide that never came in. I choose to turn and look ahead. Plenty of time, plenty to do. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement