Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
DH is 69, I am 70 ----- OP where do YOU think that should put our thought processes????

This morning I:

Fed and groomed both horses. Re packed the front hooves on the foundered horse, sent them out the barn door to have a great day.

I cleaned stalls, then took the manure cart to my dump spot "somewhere on our 24 acres" and hand pulled 17 CuFt of manure off the cart into the manure pile --- just like I do the other 364 days-----

Then I took my handsaw and cut some rogue limbs over the fence where DH was already hard at it bushhogging.

What has DH done today?

Took the big truck and went after a pallet of stall shavings as soon as he knew the Co-Op was open --- I was getting the horses ready for turnout.

He came home with shavings and a dozen donuts from the Korean do-nut shoppe.

He unloaded/stacked the shavings in the barn.

He started bushhogging and will be bushhogging, no -stop, Until dark.

What will we be remembered for? I hope we are remembered for being excellent stewards of this land and all the animals I have rescued when DH says "you can't save everyone" as I bring another critter home.

That said, It's too bad people have to worry about their legacy ---- seems rather lofty and arrogant to me ----- .

But what do I know. I was raised on a dairy farm that sold milk, eggs and meat to the old time small town grocery stores, where people bought supplies and were just as clueless then, as they are today about where their food comes from------------; all they know is that it is sitting in a cooler with a dollar amount on it----
I didn't take the above post as negative at all. And certainly not 'shaming' of the OP. I take the post above as very normal descriptions of a day in the life of horse owners, and then very normal feelings and belief that worrying about a legacy can be "rather lofty and arrogant." I share that feeling and belief. I would add the word grandiose. But I can also see the opposite point of view and I do value what talented people contribute and leave behind of value such as creations of art and music, advances in medicine and in every body of knowledge, promotion of literacy, knowledge, and every good cause etc. But most people are quite average and leave no particular legacy of note, just like billions of other people who have died before them.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-21-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
FWIW, I read all the posts. I just have to sit back and have a good cackle at all of the "mature citizens" getting so perturbed by me being here.
I don't see anyone getting perturbed. Where? Except very mildly at post #2.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you expect them to be a little wiser and more experienced than chubby old me out of Kingsport? They just love to berate me!

And honestly, the conversation has become about me, personally. I post a topic of honest discussion. I get lots of toxic complainers. I don't want to be the object of the conversation at a personal level. If people want to gossip about me, form your own threads about what you think about Mr. SC.
"a lot of toxic complainers"? I don't see any. A lot? where? I see maybe one. Or possibly two at the most.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you expect them to be a little wiser and more experienced than chubby old me out of Kingsport? They just love to berate me!
I think people can gain experience and knowledge, but it doesn't necessarily equate to wisdom. Wisdom takes understanding too, something some people never really reach.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:21 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
I'm 64 and I think about this from time to time. We never know what tomorrow will bring. I am always thankful for waking up to be honest with you. When you have a lot of health issues it's like "WOW I survived another day" Woo Hoo. LOL Let me do a happy dance (smile)

I hope I am remembered as someone who was a renegade - who really did not care what people thought of me. I march to my own drum - shared my stories - experiences in hopes of helping others. It's not popular to share I guess but I do it because I do not want to see young girls go through what I went through.

I guess I have been through a lot in the last 64 yrs - I never thought I was pretty or thought highly of myself until I got into therapy in the early 80's. I learned to like who I was as a person. People do not know how to take me and that's ok but respect me. Respect me for me. For wanting to SHINE a light on Domestic Violence or Addiction. My brother suffered for years - died at age 55 and I went through a lot with him. I helped him get into rehab- detox. In the end, his body gave out.

I am not a martyr - I want people to understand there are illnesses we cannot see. Just because we fix our hair- put makeup on does not mean we are not sick. I have been dealing with physical illness since 2004 and I am thrilled when I wake up in the morning. That's the truth.

I will leave behind all of that as well as my daughter who has been through so much. Things I am not comfortable in speaking about - they are her stories to share. What I can say is I raised a wonderful young woman who has been a caregiver to her own child who is now an adult and has a brain injury. My daughter has not always had it easy and I think she is a wonderful mother by far. This is not to say she and I have not had issues because we have. I have spoken about that here. Sometimes we take things out on the people we love the most. Not always the right thing to do but it happens.

I will always be glad of the woman I turned out to be - all in the face of adversity. I know I am a good friend and loyal but will not tolerate gossip or talking ill of others especially good friends. I will leave behind my writings...:-)

Old 10-21-2017, 11:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It isn't the post it is the poster. He is 30 years old. He has no past life or regrets he cannot change. His opportunities are still in front of him.

That is why people that know about him post the way they do.
This is so ageist, it's ridiculous.

He is a human being with a brain. He has lived "x" number of years. Of course, if he is a thinking, moral person he can have regrets . . .

Maybe he's a sociologist or anthropologist.

Why can't he be interested in philosophical questions about aging?

Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
For myself it will not matter. Our only child is passed, and when my elder brothers are gone, too, I will be the last remaining one in my family. My favorite nephew, who may inherit our house, may remember me as his "favorite aunt", but I really think that's about as far as it goes. And, really, I am fine with that. I won't be around to care.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:35 AM

498 posts, read 571,763 times
My legacy: I hope I opened the eyes and hopefully the world to one little girl (whom I did not know) when I showed and explained to her a small spider egg sack hanging from a twig. Maybe she will learn to love nature as much as I have. I agree with nobodysbusines: I am a human being on planet Earth and certainly am no more important than the spider.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
I'm not sure what the answer will be for the OP question, but I work in law office that does estate planning and administration. I highly advise everyone create a will to prevent your state from deciding how to divide any assets. A lot of people don't want to think about death, but just think about how you will allow the younger generation to go farther than you instead of thinking of death. A will is a blessing and not a curse.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Good grief, where do you get your doomsday scenario ideas about aging? At 69 and 66, DH & I consider these the best years of our lives.
Agree. All the concerns about irrelevant stuff, one quits worrying about. When did being in your 60's become old! Hubs family lives a LOOONG time. 85 to 90 is old, when you can no longer travel etc. I have a friend who is 82 and travels the world. She is gone from her home base about 4 months of the year.

But who really cares? I have never thought about this. I'm the last one left in my family, I never had kids.

Why does one care if people who you never meet hear about you. What does it matter.

Now someone who contributed something positive to this world, like a cure for polio. Those we should and do remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement