Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
7 years ago I used a TracFone for a very brief period. The call quality was somewhat poor on the inexpensive TracFone. That seems not to be a problem any longer on the inexpensive phones? Has the call quality improved? I would suspect it has improved. It doesn't matter, if the phone will mostly be used just in emergencies.

I haven’t had any quality-of-sound issues on my Tracfone, either at home, & I live rural, or traveling. My husband had some sound issues with an earlier model, but it was replaced at no extra charge. Maybe it depends on where you live. All I can say is, we once got stuck way out in the woods & called a friend, who was about 50 miles away, to help us. We had a clear signal & reached our friend, thank goodness..because we were really out there.

My only complaint is,at least in our area, you need to answer by the 4th ring or it goes to voicemail...but it doesn’t do that in other areas, so maybe it’s the cell towers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 PM

I just looked at your links for prepaid phones, & yes, that is what you are looking for...Tracfone is just one example. Remember, you have to buy a minute card, too...that is why it is “prepaid”.

One poster said that Tracfone does not always double your minutes on a card...that has not been the case with myself & spouse...the minutes have always been doubled.

One more thing...I would not buy an Alcatel brand flip phone...I did, &, in my experience, it was garbage...terrible sound, difficult to text with. I took it back to Walmart the same day & they exchanged for an LG, no charge.

Spouse & I had a Verizon contract that we were slaves to for years. Our daughter gave spouse an IPhone 5 as a gift, but he dropped it in the washing machine at about the same time that the Verizon contract ended. The Tracfones were supposed to be a temporary solution until we figured out what we wanted to do. Like you, we don’t *** on the phone that much, except with a couple of family & friends, & they know to call the landline.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-23-2017 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 PM

Well, someone was right about ***. I just used the word in the above post...it is a domesticated, wild ox used as a pack animal & native to Tibet.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Well, someone was right about ***. I just used the word in the above post...it is a domesticated, wild ox used as a pack animal & native to Tibet.
And that is why it is a forbidden word?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I have no clue! Do you?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:58 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I believe it is because one of the mods has that as a user name and at one time, it became a problem.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,533 times
****One poster said that Tracfone does not always double your minutes on a card...that has not been the case with myself & spouse...the minutes have always been doubled.****

I believe you may be referring to something I posted. I don't doubt that you get double minutes every time you purchase a card but the point is you probably have phones that included that bonus when you bought them. I have the same thing. However, not all phones that you buy have this bonus included. Some phones offer double some offer triple and some don't offer any extra minutes. In that case you only get the number on the card you purchase.

If you want to purchase a Tracfone just try to find one that offers double or triple minutes. It is definitely worth it.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
If I could only get a simple decent phone for when my landphone MAY go out and even a card with less minutes....as I said I don't "kay" a lot meaning I don't talk a lot period on any phone.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemencia53 View Post
what is it
y a k

Old 10-24-2017, 11:16 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
Whats the problem with cards. The card just has a number on it that you use to enter the time you purchased into your phone. There are other ways to add time to the phone that do not involve a card. You can do it online or on the phone. You don't have to leave the house.
I would suggest if you get a Tracfone that you seek out a phone that does not double or triple the minutes. That way you can still have the cheapest phone with fewer minutes. It makes no sense, but it gets you the fewer minutes you want.

Still, a Skype account may be all you need if you still have internet when your phone goes out.

We've had the land line phone go out several times while the DSL internet on the same line continues to work.

Last edited by johnd393; 10-24-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement