Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,050,099 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone here has retired to an over 55 community in the Hilton Head area? Making a trip soon, to check out some Del Web communities. Love to hear your thoughts. Yes I have checked out the SC board, not as many post there as here Thanks!
Also looking for a good realtor

Last edited by Charlie&Rose; 10-22-2017 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: adding a comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Wondering if anyone here has retired to an over 55 community in the Hilton Head area? Making a trip soon, to check out some Del Web communities. Love to hear your thoughts. Yes I have checked out the SC board, not as many post there as here Thanks!
Nice choice. While I cannot help you with your specific questions there are a couple here on this forum that can. Why I said good choice is that SC in particular is a nice retirement choice. Hilton Head is also top notch in that regard but there is also one more towards the north if you choose to look in Summerville and another just south of Charlotte NC but on the SC side of the border. Those are the Del Webb communities I investigated on line here. I visited the one on the state border up north. I left a review of it somewhere but I haven't found it. I will say that I enjoyed the visit. We got a great view of SCCL and even a personalized tour with someone here. We didn't decide to buy there not because we didn't like it. It was just not the time yet and we have other things to look at before we settle on anyone thing. But in my opinion I would have moved in. The wife thought the weather too muggy for her liking plus too close to the coast and not close enough to mountains. We are two completely different people. I like water she likes earth. Together we make mud. Take it though that we make beautiful mud.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:56 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Yes and did not like them. Pay attention to where you would travel for groceries, doctors, gas, retail stores and remember that in the summer you will have more traffic. Check on hurricane requirements for boarding up windows also.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Del Webb communities are not all the same. The newer they are the more expensive they tend to be. I learned this when I lived in 1 of 4 of them in the same area of Arizona.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:08 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
I am acquainted with the general area as my parents retired in coastal Georgia. You need to like hot and humid. Summers will be long and challenging and winters will be pleasant. These developments are coastal and will flood at some point, but who can say when.

You will probably have some degree of financial involvement with the golf courses. If you don't play golf you might not like this.

Basic services (grocery, drug store, bank, and high-fee financial advisor) tend to be nearby.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,098 times
We didn't settle in Hilton Head but we did end up in a Del Webb in SC. We checked out Del Webb, Trilogy, Lenoir, and a few independents in VA, NC, SC, GA and FL and ended up with a development near Fort Mill SC. I liked the HH development but didn't care for the hurricane issues though the biggest reason we didn't pick HH was access to larger city. Check out Carolina Orchards in Fort Mill SC on your way to Hilton Head.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
There's a good review of Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton) in this forum:

We are back from Sun City Hilton Head and here is the report I promised

There are a few 55+ communities in Bluffton.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky.Bailey View Post
We didn't settle in Hilton Head but we did end up in a Del Webb in SC. We checked out Del Webb, Trilogy, Lenoir, and a few independents in VA, NC, SC, GA and FL and ended up with a development near Fort Mill SC. I liked the HH development but didn't care for the hurricane issues though the biggest reason we didn't pick HH was access to larger city. Check out Carolina Orchards in Fort Mill SC on your way to Hilton Head.
Fort Mills is better than the shore in my mind. I think Carolina Lakes is the name. But you are probably a little isolated from services.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Thanks everyone, all you comments are very much appreciated!

Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Fort Mills is better than the shore in my mind. I think Carolina Lakes is the name. But you are probably a little isolated from services.
Actually Carolina Orchards is the newer Pulte 55+ development closer to Fort Mill. Sun City Carolina Lakes has closed out and the only thing available there are resales. Orchards is a regular Del Webb and SCCL is a Sun City by Del Webb. Difference is a golf course.

We used to live in SCCL but we moved to a 55+ in Dover, DE. Closer to our daughter in central NY (still 6 hrs away, though). From what we hear there is an enormous amount of commercial development going on in the area. Nice for people there but 521 is going to become a nightmare of traffic. We do get some cold and snow here in Delaware but not near as much as you would think since we are close to the water. Actually a pretty nice place to live. Love the no sales tax!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement