U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times

Advertisements

Retirement papers, that is, today, Oct. 25. My accountant was studiously neutral when I asked him about the tax implications (although a financial adviser would like tell me to wait another year- I just... don't feel like waiting...)

Yes, I've begun a countdown. I think I started a few months ago, unlike some co-workers who honestly have started countdowns that number in the *years*. My last shift will be Jan. 27.

Fortunately, "my community" of co-workers, especially my night shifts, has been changing pretty rapidly, and in a way that I won't miss being around. There are a few people I hope to stay in touch with and that should be easy to do. I seem to communicate with my few friends by email/FB messages more than anything anyway.

I was sitting in a diner near my accountant's today and watching the massive traffic tieups and people rushing around and chasing the bus and just felt tired of it all. I know things usually change, and I'm glad that people are not out of work and broke and all, but my interesting eastern Mass. urban life is long gone to the the gods of technology/cost of living/housing/crowding. I wait for the old Greek diner to go away suddenly one day, as so many other modest place have gone away without warning. I fear for modest-living people (and elders) just getting run over by the flood of money and young workers and tens of thousands of students and all.

The foundation has been in for my Colorado small house. Framing should begin on Thursday and should be pretty quick, being a kit for the exterior. I expect to love my new little house and smaller property as much as I do my current property, which I feel I created from a tangled jungle and crumbling cottage. So in Colorado I'm paying other people to transform a small part of an abandoned pasture right in town. Have noticed three other building permits listed for the pasture lots (eight in total). We'll have our own little neighborhood right in the center of town.

It's all finally happening. Thanks for listening. Back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 01:34 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Yep, your excitement and anticipation of a whole new life is evident. Getting close now!
It will be here before you know it!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,192,061 times
Congratulations!

Retired 2009. No regrets. Never a boring day. Not one. There's so much to do, so little time. The years leading to retirement seemed to drag on and the final day before retirement never seemed to get there. And the day of retirement is liberating. The weight taken off your shoulders was a relief.

And I'll tell you what. It seems the clock ticks so fast during retirement. The years went by so quickly. Now you wish it would slow down.

My new job became getting a level of physical fitness to reverse what years of work, stress, poor eating did while working. Didn't happen over night but includes running, lifting, yoga, stretching/flexibility, pilates.....and healthy eating now that I have the time. Stop the bad habits of fast food, diet soda.

For me, I spend more money on hobbies than I expected (Biking, kayaking, traveling, (small RV), golfing, tennis, fishing, etc etc etc- going to concerts, cultural experiences that I didn't have time to do when working). I think that this will end with time as I transition from the go-go, slow-go, then no-go phases of retirement.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 AM

2,430 posts, read 3,657,283 times
Congratulations!

If you work for a large company with an out-sourced Retirement & Benefits office, expect to be numbed by the repetitive phone calls and emails necessary to finally exit the company. You will get through it. The process becomes your #1 work priority. It was a great idea to make your decision early to allow the process to proceed at its snail's pace to be complete by your final day.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,034 times
Congrats from Michigan!

The days will go by faster than you think, and the ones that don't won't matter so much now that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I Hope you find some pleasant memories in this last phase of work, because once it is gone, these will be the last things you remember about work. And if you don't...the exit will be even sweeter.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
CONGRATS on the BEST decision you have ever made!! Retired almost 3 yrs now and LOVE it...would not change a thing!

Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Yay!!!! Congratulations!!! I really hope you LOVE, Love, LOVE -- retirement!!!

As for countdowns, mine started 10 years ago....and I've got 8 left!

Everyone I know who has retired is having the time of their life....I wish that for you, also.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 AM

3,687 posts, read 1,863,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Retirement papers, that is, today, Oct. 25. My accountant was studiously neutral when I asked him about the tax implications (although a financial adviser would like tell me to wait another year- I just... don't feel like waiting...)

Yes, I've begun a countdown. I think I started a few months ago, unlike some co-workers who honestly have started countdowns that number in the *years*. My last shift will be Jan. 27.

Fortunately, "my community" of co-workers, especially my night shifts, has been changing pretty rapidly, and in a way that I won't miss being around. There are a few people I hope to stay in touch with and that should be easy to do. I seem to communicate with my few friends by email/FB messages more than anything anyway.

I was sitting in a diner near my accountant's today and watching the massive traffic tieups and people rushing around and chasing the bus and just felt tired of it all. I know things usually change, and I'm glad that people are not out of work and broke and all, but my interesting eastern Mass. urban life is long gone to the the gods of technology/cost of living/housing/crowding. I wait for the old Greek diner to go away suddenly one day, as so many other modest place have gone away without warning. I fear for modest-living people (and elders) just getting run over by the flood of money and young workers and tens of thousands of students and all.

The foundation has been in for my Colorado small house. Framing should begin on Thursday and should be pretty quick, being a kit for the exterior. I expect to love my new little house and smaller property as much as I do my current property, which I feel I created from a tangled jungle and crumbling cottage. So in Colorado I'm paying other people to transform a small part of an abandoned pasture right in town. Have noticed three other building permits listed for the pasture lots (eight in total). We'll have our own little neighborhood right in the center of town.

It's all finally happening. Thanks for listening. Back to work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is me.
I work days, but so much is the same.
39 work days.
No regrets!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
CONGRATULATIONS!!

I can't wait, I'm on a 2 year countdown. 9/1/2109.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM

31,970 posts, read 36,594,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!

I can't wait, I'm on a 2 year countdown. 9/1/2109.
That's like 92 years from now. You are a dedicated worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or