U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:24 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,699,926 times

Advertisements

go to school so I missed this time. Maybe when I am older, I can make up for it, ha, ha. Great music, however!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 PM

452 posts, read 1,531,639 times
I hear that!!! There was "the" crowd who didn't have to work and then...there was "us". I think they had a different type of fun that I did.

I must be honest and admit that I was in my thirties before I even TRIED pot. THAT'S how innocent I was as a kid. I did inhale ...but once was enough. It was too much fun to do again...I knew I'd be in trouble. And I know better than to run for office; some things are best kept to oneself.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a crew-cut fellow with a huge fire extinguished appeared, put out the fire in what seemed like a matter of seconds, and disappeared.
An angel with a crew-cut! Imagine that!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,977,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
...There was "the" crowd who didn't have to work and then...there was "us"...
I went to school under the GI Bill, but I still had to work all through school either with a Work Study job or as a TA. Everyone I knew in my Hippy circle of friends had a job either on or off campus.

The kids who didn't need to work were those who lived in fraternity and sorority houses and got checks from their parents.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM

19,521 posts, read 20,910,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
An angel with a crew-cut! Imagine that!
Indeed. In those days, people with crewcuts were considered sub-human by most young people.

We had so much to learn...

Old 03-27-2008, 01:32 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,755,944 times
Okay, this will date me - and maybe you too! Hitchhiking with my best friend Amy one Saturday morning returning from buying our 50 cent packs of Marlboros from the machine at the cool taco place on the beach. We were going to our friend Beth's house to listen to "Babe Im Gonna Leave You" and Abbey Road and the first two Grand Funk albums and wait for our boyfriends to come over. A van pulls over and two Jesus-y looking guys with no shirts and big grins said, "Hop in!" We did, and the smell of illegality and brain-damage hit us in the face. Bravely I piped up, "Smells good in here!" The dude in the passenger seat turned around to us, grinning even wider, held out a monstrous-big joint in trembling fingers to me and said, "Tastes even better!"

And it did.

edit: forgot to add, everyone was barefoot, even in the taco place.

Last edited by delusianne; 03-27-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,186 times
Let's see - lots of sex, drugs and rock and roll. Moving to California and living in a hippie commune, hitchhiking, taking part in feminist "consciousness raising" groups, walking around wearing long tie-dyed dresses, marching against the war, sitting in against the war, and so on.

Sex was all about "experimenting", not love; drugs were also about experimenting (although I only did pot, hashish, and mescaline - most friends did a lot more like LSD and speed).

I listened mostly to folk music - Arlo Guthrie, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot - and always loved the Stones, and still do.

And to those who were in Vietnam (as my two cousins were, and my Dad and uncles in WWII), I have every respect for you. When I marched against the war, it was to bring you home - not to have more of our soldiers dying over there. I am sorry that some people thought you were the enemy when you returned. That is not the way I thought of it, and not the way many of us thought of it. Maybe we were naive, but at the time, we were trying to help.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,586,167 times
Boomer born in 58 -- cousinsal, I'm shocked!!!

Just kidding - I think a lot of us who really came of age in the 1970s are so jealous of the fun from the 60s. We had disco.

Well, I still love the Stones myself -- saw them here in Dallas a couple of years ago for the third time. It was the only place I can remember where everyone we talked to tried to say they were older and therefore more knowledgeable about the Stones.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Boomer born in 58 -- cousinsal, I'm shocked!!!

Just kidding - I think a lot of us who really came of age in the 1970s are so jealous of the fun from the 60s. We had disco.

Well, I still love the Stones myself -- saw them here in Dallas a couple of years ago for the third time. It was the only place I can remember where everyone we talked to tried to say they were older and therefore more knowledgeable about the Stones.
Yeah - I always like being the "Stones expert" around work, where most people are younger. I saw them awhile back here in Boston on the Big Bang Tour and decided after seeing them 3 other times, I was going to sit in the FRONT this time. As the kids say, "it was awesome"!!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
WTTW - Retirement Revolution 2008 - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement