U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times

Advertisements

I've always worked... from my lawn mowing route at age 7, later I stocked shelves for $2 an hour, worked all through High School in the cafeteria and worked all through college, nights and weekends, behind an auto parts counter.

My first real job with withholding was at age 13... I had to get a special work permit from the School District even though it was a full time summer job...

I was paid $50 a week every Friday, gave my mother $20, put $20 in the Bank, Uncle Sam took almost $4 and $6 left was all mine

Every year I receive my Social Security Statement and it reminds me of how young I was when I started paying taxes...

I bought my first car at age 13 with a blown motor... did the repairs myself and still have it... a 1929 Model A Ford...

So... not everyone was wild...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've always worked... from my lawn mowing route at age 7, later I stocked shelves for $2 an hour, worked all through High School in the cafeteria and worked all through college, nights and weekends, behind an auto parts counter.

My first real job with withholding was at age 13... I had to get a special work permit from the School District even though it was a full time summer job...

I was paid $50 a week every Friday, gave my mother $20, put $20 in the Bank, Uncle Sam took almost $4 and $6 left was all mine

Every year I receive my Social Security Statement and it reminds me of how young I was when I started paying taxes...

I bought my first car at age 13 with a blown motor... did the repairs myself and still have it... a 1929 Model A Ford...

So... not everyone was wild...
I was definitely a spoiled college kid, although I've worked all along since then. I went to a state college that my family could afford - it was a big deal for my father who grew up very poor, to send two of us to college.

Believe me, I know I had it easy in those days, and I'm very grateful to my father.

A 1929 car??!! Wowsa - how much is THAT worth these days? Do you go to those shows?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I was definitely a spoiled college kid, although I've worked all along since then. I went to a state college that my family could afford - it was a big deal for my father who grew up very poor, to send two of us to college.

Believe me, I know I had it easy in those days, and I'm very grateful to my father.

A 1929 car??!! Wowsa - how much is THAT worth these days? Do you go to those shows?
The 1929 Model A is a sedan and worth between 10 and 12K... It kept me busy... when I wasn't working. It also gave me the opportunity to learn mechanics and network with people I would have never otherwise come in contact with. Those are the same people that advised me to invest in my future by getting my degree and to own Real Estate.

I was the youngest person in the Club when I joined and today, I sometimes think I'm still the youngest. A lot of my friends are in their 80's now and they still call me the kid. I've been blessed with lifelong friends, all older than my parents, that were more than willing to share their life experiences and give advice.

Many said that they didn't get serious about their finances until they were in their late 30's and even 40's. I was told by several that I should use time to my advantage by getting into Real Estate sooner as opposed to later.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The 1929 Model A is a sedan and worth between 10 and 12K... It kept me busy... when I wasn't working. It also gave me the opportunity to learn mechanics and network with people I would have never otherwise come in contact with. Those are the same people that advised me to invest in my future by getting my degree and to own Real Estate.

I was the youngest person in the Club when I joined and today, I sometimes think I'm still the youngest. A lot of my friends are in their 80's now and they still call me the kid. I've been blessed with lifelong friends, all older than my parents, that were more than willing to share their life experiences and give advice.

Many said that they didn't get serious about their finances until they were in their late 30's and even 40's. I was told by several that I should use time to my advantage by getting into Real Estate sooner as opposed to later.
That is incredible, Ultrarunner! Good for you!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,494 times
Wow, the 60's!! I often tell my daughter it was a time that will never be revived – she points out pseudo hippies with long dresses and hair, and I keep telling her it wasn't about the "fashion!"

Oh, yes, me, too – not going to reveal too much – also glad the internet wasn't available then!

I had my share of fun. I remember seeing and listening to Joni Mitchell at the Mariposa Folk Festival in Toronto. We did some pure mescaline – that was FUN!! Beautiful colors, music sounded fantastic. We slept outside on the grass on Centre Island, awakened by the geese, and got lost in the British mazes.

Hitch-hiked through Europe – lots of adventures there!!! Unfortunately, it was the summer that Woodstock happened, so I missed it – but I did get to see Donovan live in the park in London! Stayed at the "Arts Lab" on Drury Lane in London, to which the Beatles had donated the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie -- the unedited version, that played 24 hours a day and we could go downstairs and keep watching our favorite parts! So many great adventures. Light shows, psychedelic music and dancing, the smoky smells, the laughter after eating brownies…..oh, those were the days!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, the 60's!! I often tell my daughter it was a time that will never be revived – she points out pseudo hippies with long dresses and hair, and I keep telling her it wasn't about the "fashion!"

Oh, yes, me, too – not going to reveal too much – also glad the internet wasn't available then!

I had my share of fun. I remember seeing and listening to Joni Mitchell at the Mariposa Folk Festival in Toronto. We did some pure mescaline – that was FUN!! Beautiful colors, music sounded fantastic. We slept outside on the grass on Centre Island, awakened by the geese, and got lost in the British mazes.

Hitch-hiked through Europe – lots of adventures there!!! Unfortunately, it was the summer that Woodstock happened, so I missed it – but I did get to see Donovan live in the park in London! Stayed at the "Arts Lab" on Drury Lane in London, to which the Beatles had donated the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie -- the unedited version, that played 24 hours a day and we could go downstairs and keep watching our favorite parts! So many great adventures. Light shows, psychedelic music and dancing, the smoky smells, the laughter after eating brownies…..oh, those were the days!
In my case, with mescaline, the flowers grew right before my eyes!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM

156 posts, read 352,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Wow Wow...After hearing all the stuff you did I know for sure I was in Dullsville for the 60's lol. And that's just the stuff you will talk about lol...Must have been surreal to have been in London when the Beatles were peaking....pseudo hippies...I like that lol...remember the VW buses lol...and madras...I think it went by so fast when you look back...Funny how I know just a little about almost everything you talk about though lol...Thanks for the neat post

Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,092,538 times
I think that I was in a different group from the '60's, Wisteria and cousinsal! I, of course, knew all of the crowd that was in to the weed, LSD, free love and all of that.

But, with the kids I hung with it was more of a humanistc and political activism time than a social revolution. I was more into save our planet, equality for all, liberate the masses, and end the war.

It's strange because after 40+ years, I fundamentally believe all of the same things. I still feel vehemently opposed to involving ourselves in wars where we do not belong and have not been invited, irrate at the inequality between sexes, races, and classes, and very vocal about the victimization of any, be it children, Islamic or African women, third world suffering, etc.

How things do change over the years, but still remain so much the same.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,983,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post

I was more into save our planet, equality for all, liberate the masses, and end the war.
So was I, but I liked to do all that stuff high.

And when the rally, march, or demonstration was over there was no better way to end the day than to pile into the VW bus and smoke a big fat joint, or drop a tab of Orange Sunshine, or maybe nibble on a shroom or two.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
So was I, but I liked to do all that stuff high.

And when the rally, march, or demonstration was over there was no better way to end the day than to pile into the VW bus and smoke a big fat joint, or drop a tab of Orange Sunshine, or maybe nibble on a shroom or two.
Yeah, I'd say I was into both political issues and lots of fun. I was heavily involved in feminism, which was called the "second wave" (after the first wave in the 20's). Also, marched against the war, etc.

I pretty much believe the same way today, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement