U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 AM

156 posts, read 351,968 times

Advertisements

Back around 1970, when Vietnam was coming to a close and Woodstock was still a recent memory I remember doing something that was really crazy. We frequented a lounge at the time in New Orleans...which was (appropriately) called the Village. We were attending college at LSUNO(now UNO), and we had been hearing about this thing called streaking that people were doing in other places. The Village had two doors, one in front and one in the back. Our plan was to run in the front door and of course...out the back. A simple hormone induced 20 year-olds well thought out plan lol. So 4 or 5 of us made it inside in the door, totally in the buff, with a bar full of people pointing and laughing, but when we got to the back door...we suddenly stopped. A huge padlock was on the door. The element of surprise was lost..but we somehow got turned around and looking more like deer in the headlights than streakers made it safely out the front door. We almost died laughing though...

Anyone remember anything wild or shocking they did in the 60's or 70's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Since I was 7 in the "Summer of Love" - not very much.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
Oh my. Yes I remember some things, but I have spent most of my adult life trying to forget them. LOL Not sure I want to post them here, but thank you for sharing.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
As people say,"If you remember the '60s, you weren't there." I was also a little too young, just caught the tailend of things in the early 1970s. And no, I'm not posting.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:55 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
Oh, boy! I remember everything. The music. The solidarity . There was a song that had the words :

We laughed & thought
we'd never grow old....
We thought we could sit forever in fun.
But, out chances really
were a million to one

I actually recall a conversation that I had with my friends to the effect that , well, we would just NEVER grow old.
I don't know what we were thinking....
I guess that's how all young people think. Lol.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM

46 posts, read 102,841 times
I missed all the fun, like woodstock, the anti-war demos, etc...i was in the Navy during the 60's...and when i returned from Asia..i went to college and then got married... i think i missed some interesting times and the culture of the 60's...my younger brother went through those times as a teenager...i am always envious when i hear his stories.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,324 times
I dunno about wild, since I was born in 1954 and was a kid during most of the 60's, but when our local high school team won the Saturday afternoon football games, we'd drive around town doing 'Chinese Fire Drills'. We'd pile into a friend's car (Seatbelts? What were those?) and if we stopped at a red light, we'd all jump out of the car except the driver and run around the car until the light turned green. Then we'd all jump back into the car and take off. We thought we were soooooo cool and funny.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,638 times
Those were the days, I was raised in Long Beach California and the days were absolutey great. I remember the Beach Boys really playing music on the beach. We really did some crazy stuff most of it very fun loving stuff, some times not so legal but fun still. I often said that if I could do it over I would do the same thing with just a hint more excitement in it. I lived in a sense right next door to the Watts riot and that was pretty nasty. anyways those days were the best you know the flower girls, love, peace. not war. Long straight hair big hoop earings hip hugger pants with the hems frayed and dragging the ground. Can you say Hot Pants with wedge high heels.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
Those were the days is right! I drove to San Francisco in a VW Beetle with a friend of mine to see her mom and dad. We actually slept in the car at rest areas (no funds for a motel of course)! We were out there 2 weeks and acted totally crazy. My friend was older than me (married and divorced by 22) and her life goal was, well maybe I shouldn't post it, lets say she wanted to move to Nevada to start her own business.

I remember wearing leather hot pants with a matching vest, bright red! I also bought a skin tight black jump suit, oh my gosh the way I used to dress! As soon as we got back, we took the train in to Chicago and went to Old Town, me in my black jump suit! When I think of those times, I was so naiive and I'm lucky to be around to talk about them!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
I was born in 1959, so the 60's for me were growing up on a farm, and not exposed to much. Then the US Navy when I graduated, just as the US was pulling out of Vietnam, but I got the Vietnam Era GI Bill. I got out of the Navy for a bit, and went to college. Where I learned the value of a pension. I went back into the Navy, and I retired on pension in 2001.

So I am one of many retired baby-boomers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement