Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's scary about those older folks still driving, hope it's not in a busy city. I had a 68 mustang that I sold a long time ago, it was a beauty but I know the 64 is the classic...
a 96 YO friend drove his Mustang Cobra till the day he died (He didn't die in the Cobra!, but had a great time driving it!)

My grandfather was farming past age 90... Till he had a fueling accident and got burnt real bad...

94 YO FIL has done 4 cross country flights this yr (not as pilot )
94 YO gal friend has done 4 international flights this yr. (She still can drive WELL!, in mtns with snow)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
My mother and her twin sister are 87 and they run up and down the basement steps all day long doing laundry and what not. My mom still walks about a mile every day the weather is nice out.

The two of them are the youngest of 11 kids in the family and one sister just died at age 100 not too long ago. Only one of her brothers is dead and the other ones are all in their 90s. They have one sister who's 95, I think, and she looks and acts like she's about 65.

So I suppose with my luck, I'll have a stroke that will paralyze me and the doctor will tell me, "Good news! Your heart is as strong as a bell and you can live till you're a 110!" GAH!

Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
My friend walked all around our neighborhood up until a couple yrs ago when she had a couple falls. Those falls caused some fractures and now she can't get out to the walks.

I just had another friend who died at 95 and was still walking blocks and claimed her joints kept in good condition considering it all due to glucosamine chondrotin use for many years.

I'm on a faithful daily dose of Cosamin DS for my joints...
My mother, age 91, and my sister, age 69, both swear by the glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate/ MSM capsules they have bought from Puritan Pride for years to keep their joints in good condition. Their word is good enough for me, at age 70 I have very few joint issues, I'm trying it too. So far so good. And yes, regular exercise helps too- I exercise on an elliptical/recumbant bike for 45 minutes five days a week, and walk regularly.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:35 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
My neighbor is 89 and to see him walking out to his car, you would think he has one foot in the grave. But he still drives, just got back from a 2 week trip to Europe with a friend, goes sailing and until a couple of years ago, went skiing and rode a motorcycle. He walks by my window from his door to his car and I always keep an eye on him to make sure he is OK. Had to pick him up once when he fell. The other day I heard what I thought was a car alarm going off, it was him beeping because he had trouble getting out of the car. I helped him out and carried his groceries in for him.

Oh, and he goes up and down a steep flight of stairs in his house, too. Just amazing. Physically frail but mentally tough as nails.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
My mother turned 91 last Thursday, she can still drive during daylight to nearby stores, walks with a cane if outside the house, a bit unsteady, & inside the house she is constantly moving doing chores unless it is late afternoon when she "watches" Judge Judy (but is really taking her afternoon nap). A few years ago she got involved with Facebook & she spends at least an hour each day checking out what all the far-flung relatives are doing, she loves it. Her husband passed 25 years ago & she experienced a heart attack many tears ago & 2 types of cancer since including pancreatic cancer several years ago & is cancer free now.

She never stops with the chores & is up & down the stairs several times a day, that has been her gym, & she has a tight group of friends, mostly younger since she outlived most of her "old friends". They plan a number of events & she lives for big social events where she can dress up & there is music & a lot of buzz. She always keeps busy & has plans, she told me she would like to to visit Europe next year again (where we have family).

Old 10-27-2017, 09:45 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
It's scary about those older folks still driving, hope it's not in a busy city. I had a 68 mustang that I sold a long time ago, it was a beauty but I know the 64 is the classic...
Oakland California in the heart of a 9 million +/- SF Bay Area...

He is a great guy and was still playing golf each week until his last golfing partner passed away... said it was fun having a foursome of 80+ players!

Going to be 100 this year... not sure about driving.

My neighbor that passed just shy of 104 was quite a lady... at 99 she was still traveling alone and staying alone in her Condo in Hawaii...

She had the best stories and was born on a ranch in Nevada and at 17 was a public school teacher at a one room school house... taught 50 years.

Went to her 100th birthday bash in Reno... amazing seeing several generations of students from the same family coming to see her...

She had the first car in the county... she won the grand-prize for selling the most newspaper subscriptions statewide at age 12... her prize a brand new Model T... she drove to school at age 12... no driver licenses back then... She still had the newspaper story showing her receiving her new car with picture and all.

Her father crashed the car into the barn yelling wo, wo as he would saying driving a team of horses... no damage to the car.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,669,013 times
My parents both lived to 95 independently in their own home until my dad died, after which my mother lived briefly with one of my siblings.

They lived in a 3 story house, up and down stairs constantly. Dad drove, did all errands and grocery shopping. Mom cooked, cleaned, ironed and did the cooking. Both loved to read and keep up with current events. They did pay for a lawn service as they prided themselves on having a beautiful yard. Their home was tidy and very clean.

Never, ever took supplements. Their doc told them to just keep moving, which they did. They did have some prescriptions but never had any chronic, debilitating conditions. Both passed away after a very short illness (one week) of pneumonia.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My mother and her twin sister are 87 and they run up and down the basement steps all day long doing laundry and what not. My mom still walks about a mile every day the weather is nice out.

The two of them are the youngest of 11 kids in the family and one sister just died at age 100 not too long ago. Only one of her brothers is dead and the other ones are all in their 90s. They have one sister who's 95, I think, and she looks and acts like she's about 65.

So I suppose with my luck, I'll have a stroke that will paralyze me and the doctor will tell me, "Good news! Your heart is as strong as a bell and you can live till you're a 110!" GAH!
Don't even Think it...we don't know when we'll go.

My parents were 91 and 96 and dad was so ready, mom didn't want to go.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:59 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I hope that I never live that long. I cannot imagine another almost 30 years living in pain and difficulty getting around etc. which is what my life is now.
Same here, only I'd have another 46 years .

I have degenerative disc disease, degenerating spine, had spinal tumors removed, have a tear in the lining of the rt hip socket and torn ligaments in my knee. I already have been using a cane for about 8 years now. Neither the hip nor knee is in need of surgery YET. I've already got heart issues.

I'm on SSDI, but I can and do work, under SGA, to keep busy and boost my overall SS, whether it stays at SSDI or I go off before SS.

I'M NOT SURE I can keep working to FRA, which may move by the time I get there, let alone live all thise years. I have both longevity and shortened lives in my family due to illnesses.
So I don't know where I'll land.

But the mere idea of living to age 100 scares me. I figured if I make it 80 is being doing good, and not sure if want to live to 80.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Same here, only I'd have another 46 years .

I have degenerative disc disease, degenerating spine, had spinal tumors removed, have a tear in the lining of the rt hip socket and torn ligaments in my knee. I already have been using a cane for about 8 years now. Neither the hip nor knee is in need of surgery YET. I've already got heart issues.

I'm on SSDI, but I can and do work, under SGA, to keep busy and boost my overall SS, whether it stays at SSDI or I go off before SS.

I'M NOT SURE I can keep working to FRA, which may move by the time I get there, let alone live all thise years. I have both longevity and shortened lives in my family due to illnesses.
So I don't know where I'll land.

But the mere idea of living to age 100 scares me. I figured if I make it 80 is being doing good, and not sure if want to live to 80.

I've dealt with Degenerating back issues for about 60 yrs and it's really advanced at 79 and worse since hip replacement at 72...not supposed to be that way, right? But it is and I'd bet money I'm not alone.

Wonder if all these longtimers had replacements? My folks never did, did their limping to their ends but I'm probably worse now and I've had a THR. Grrrrrrr

Once our bodies are "cut" look out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement