Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:57 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times

Advertisements

I was early medically retired at age 40, on SSDI.

After 13 years, while I was always busy, it became boring. I used to say "no grass grows under my feet " and the SS doesn't go as far as it used to. So I returned to work part time (allowed), as I also missed interaction with people besides those in groups I "hanged out with" ("hung" is incorrect), or was involved with.

Now, even 6 months later, I'm looking forward to permanent retirement, lol.

With all my medical problems, though, I may not make it or be retired enough just to enjoy it.

There is something nice anout NOT having to go out if the weather is inclement, or if you "don't feel like it". And to go do what you want when you want or pick the non-but days or times to do things. The only alarm clock I had was to make sure to be up for something FUN. And no boss to tell me what to do, when.

Still, I'm enjoying working again, and hope to be fully retired again someday, if my bidy holds out and doesnt turncoat on me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 04:04 PM

703 posts, read 612,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I was early medically retired at age 40, on SSDI.

After 13 years, while I was always busy, it became boring. I used to say "no grass grows under my feet " and the SS doesn't go as far as it used to. So I returned to work part time (allowed), as I also missed interaction with people besides those in groups I "hanged out with" ("hung" is incorrect), or was involved with.

Now, even 6 months later, I'm looking forward to permanent retirement, lol.

With all my medical problems, though, I may not make it or be retired enough just to enjoy it.

There is something nice anout NOT having to go out if the weather is inclement, or if you "don't feel like it". And to go do what you want when you want or pick the non-but days or times to do things. The only alarm clock I had was to make sure to be up for something FUN. And no boss to tell me what to do, when.

Still, I'm enjoying working again, and hope to be fully retired again someday, if my bidy holds out and doesnt turncoat on me!

"Body" ("bidy" is incorrect)

Old 10-28-2017, 04:05 PM

599 posts, read 276,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So I'm quibbling a little with your use of the word 'ethic' here, as it pertains to working after retirement. (but it's not a big quibble)

Fair point, and a reasonable clarification.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:40 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I don't get why anyone would want to work if they don't have to, either.

I know people say they want to. I don't care what they say...I think they just had a work ethic drummed into the when they were young -- and to be honest -- never stopped to really, really ask themselves WHY they're still working. I've had 70 year old co-workers tell me they've nver though about retiring. Really? OK. I can't relate.

Sure they say well, the job isn't heavy lifting, I could do it blindfolded, and the boss leaves me alone.
Or as my 75-year-old former coworker who just started a new full time job says -- I'm just not ready to retire. But he's also the kind who even though he has made lots of money, and has a close to 10K a month retirement income -- still wants MORE money. He makes a lot -- but spends every dime. (I have no doubt at all he has no real money saved).

But as I have now accepted -- if people say they want to work, don't even waste time wondering about it. Or telling them how great retirement is. I'm done with that. They can work.....I'm more than willing to NOT work for them.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
After 45 years of working, 32 of it in Federal service, I am sick of getting up at 5am every flippin' morning, getting dressed in professional attire, fixing my breakfast and lunch, slogging through traffic and sitting in a depressing cubicle doing work that is meaningless and mindless.

I'm tired of it, between my Social Security and pensions (fed and military) I will bring home the same money so it is stupid to go through all of this for nothing. SS starts in January, so I'm set.

I want to sleep late, have breakfast at my table, not in a tupperware dish. I want to spend time with my husband. I have much more time behind me than I do before me.

I, too, want my life back.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I enjoyed your post, mschrief! great post #25! and explains the sentiment so well.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I want to retire so my time belongs to me. I don't want to trade my time for money anymore after a certain point.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:54 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I started out in a field I loved, and would have kept doing it all my life...except it didn't pay enough to live and had no benefits.

so I sold out and hated working for a few decades, and was thrilled to retire.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:06 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I "hanged out with" ("hung" is incorrect), or was involved with.

I think hung is correct. "Hanged" is by the neck.
"hung out" is a colloquialism and follows its own rules anyway.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Because there are so many better things I would rather spend my time doing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement