Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 10:43 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,652,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there a reason you're spreading out from the Alt Med and Health boards to carry on your tirade against the pharmaceutical industry and promotion of supplements?
If they've done such wonderful things for the brain, I would think one wouldn't need 129 posts in order to figure out what cheap cell phone to buy...assuming that's even been done by now.
(Written because of the sticky that says not to report threads for being off the topic of retirement and even though it might earn me an infraction)
Because the Memory is a terrible thing to lose and WHY NOT work to keep it? As with ALL posts so much is added. Loss of Memory is discussed a lot, don't you see that?

If people don't want to work to Save their memory then they shouldn't read or think about things to help ...I know enuf people who wouldn't think to help others as they don't even help themselves in healthy ways.

Looking for purpose in life, I see for me, offering help etc to others...To me that's what it's all about. I know many do not come from that point of view.

I've been reading some of the stories in Caregiving and it's heart wrenching with the alz/dementia stories.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-30-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I had all the biomarkers done which determined a quickly advancing RA. Hands so swollen, red and virtually non-functional. In the ER twice, practically screaming: "They HAVE to be broken!!! Just LOOK at them!!!"

The pharma solution? ANTI-IMMUNITY drugs! Seriously?! No thank you. Went to a Naturopath 50 miles away whom a friend recommended.. The remedies he gave me have a mix of things in them. Redness - GONE; Swelling - GONE; Usability - BACK.

I'm a believer.
Thanks I've shared the info. Could help another RA sufferer. J

Old 10-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I use several supplements that I think are beneficial to me. I regularly take milk thistle, a probiotic, and a greens powder shake. I've also used various weightlifting supplements in the past, take a multivitamin, and will occasionally use things like Emergen-C where applicable. I'm a proponent of the sensible use of supplements as a supplement to whatever your medical regimen is.

Supplements may be great for preventing things before they happen or for providing some sort of protective effect. When I was weightlifting very seriously, glutamine supplements gave me a very noticeable reduction in muscle soreness the day after a work out, enabling me to train harder. But I wouldn't go out and bet on homeopathy if diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

Western medicine has been excellent in treating previously uncurable conditions, or at least significantly extending lifespans and improving quality of life. Heart problems and cancers that wiped people out as recently as 150 years ago are now often curable and routinely treated. It isn't perfect, but it's far, far better than trusting in supplements, homeopathy, and nutrition alone.

With that said, the effectiveness of supplements may be skewed by who is using them. People are frequently using supplements are likely already interested in nutrition and health as it is. I ran into a childhood friend's mother yesterday at the gym. She has taught spin classes and other fitness classes for years. Very healthy diet, etc. She's 62, but a lot of people would think she's late 40s. She's a very young 62.

She may be on a lot of supplements, but are the supplements what keeps her healthy and young looking? Or is it the exercise and nutrition more than the supplements?
My life is a combination of both healing protocols and I exercised all my life and now live with a body full of arthritis. I don't regret my life choices then or now, and I still get I look in my 50's maybe 60's now and I'm 79..

Old 10-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I could not help but be bothered by this. Yes, you are correct the multi, multi billion dollar supplement industry has lobbyists and the users of their products also support them. All of that money and lobbying has created an ugly monster. First there are the bogus, snake oil claims and promotion along with fake research, magazine promotions, etc. Without any regulation, the industry barely needs any concern about the truth. Walk into any supplement store and you will find thousands of formulations. If even a small fraction were helpful, the consumer would go broke buying the products and would need to jam in mouthfuls of pills and other formulations a day.

Duping gullible consumers with false snake oil claims is just the tip of the iceberg. Without regulation, manufacturers have no need to be careful about the making their products. No testing is needed. No good manufacturing practices need to be followed. Many products actually have little and in some cases none of the ingredients listed. It is hard to believe the abuses that the lack of regulation has permitted. I had a torn meniscus and asked my surgeon about supplements for joint health. Not only was he dubious about any possible beneficial effect, he showed me a study with measurements of the active ingredients. Some of the formulations had almost none of the claimed ingredients.

In addition to ripping off consumers with snake oil claims, some of the materials don't even contain snake oil. Canola is a lot cheaper. Those are big enough issues, but there is a third. Many of the supplements are harmful. Without any sort of care in manufacturing and without any studies, some have been found to be highly toxic and users have died because of them. Unfortunately the strength of the lobby often prevents any sort of action. Again there are little or no regulations. Also what government bureaucrat wants to go up against this lobby? Deaf, dumb and blind is a better strategy.

None of this means that all supplements are totally useless or not correctly manufactured or potentially harmful. But without serious scientific studies, how would we ever know? Sadly, we are gullible, ignorant and easily duped especially regarding health issues. In the meantime I will restrict my consumption of supplements to a simple multivitamin where the ingredients are tested by the USP and there is some basic knowledge of daily requirements.
Ever do any research on ALL the info on Canola oil? I don't touch it.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My life is a combination of both healing protocols and I exercised all my life and now live with a body full of arthritis. I don't regret my life choices then or now, and I still get I look in my 50's maybe 60's now and I'm 79..
The arthritis may have happened with or without the exercise, supplements, etc. - there is no way to know.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The arthritis may have happened with or without the exercise, supplements, etc. - there is no way to know.
Yep, it's in mother's side of family and they never did the gyms, dancing like a person who loved dancing and they all had OA, everyone ends up with some whatever they do. My grandkids already have aches and pains and they are 21 and 18 and very athletic. They both go to alternative protocols from a great D.O. their mother found ... so yes I may have ended up with it anyway, and I ate my share of carbs/sugars most of my early life, lots as a child...what did I know. It all tasted so good...enuf dental work to several people...sugars.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-30-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 03:29 PM

8,489 posts, read 3,308,245 times
Years ago, I saw a neurologist (both MD and PhD) who spoke of the distinct individuality of our brains and associated bodily systems. Some demonstrate a high degree of responsiveness to various interventions (drugs, supplements, acupuncture etc.); in contrast, for others there is minimal effectiveness or even negative complications for any one treatment. Consequently, results of even large-scale statistically valid studies may not always be the best guide to determine efficacy of an intervention in any one individual.

In other words, if it works for YOU great. For some, echinacea works wonders in preventing colds ... for others, maybe Vitamin C ... for still others, nothing but diligent washing of hands and minimizing exposure situations helps. This variability makes drawing conclusions from even valid studies more problematic.

To my dismay, I found out the hard way that taking potassium really DOES prevent my leg cramps - to the tune of about $175 to express the supplement to a location overseas where it could not be purchased over the counter. Later attempts to discontinue potassium (laziness, in taking the pills) repeatedly led to similar findings. Due to the short response periods and clear symptoms, THAT turned out to be an easy causal connection to establish.

Granted ... such clear cause-and-effects are not so easy to determine for more subtle processes like memory.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Years ago, I saw a neurologist (both MD and PhD) who spoke of the distinct individuality of our brains and associated bodily systems. Some demonstrate a high degree of responsiveness to various interventions (drugs, supplements, acupuncture etc.); in contrast, for others there is minimal effectiveness or even negative complications for any one treatment. Consequently, results of even large-scale statistically valid studies may not always be the best guide to determine efficacy of an intervention in any one individual.

In other words, if it works for YOU great. For some, echinacea works wonders in preventing colds ... for others, maybe Vitamin C ... for still others, nothing but diligent washing of hands and minimizing exposure situations helps. This variability makes drawing conclusions from even valid studies more problematic.

To my dismay, I found out the hard way that taking potassium really DOES prevent my leg cramps - to the tune of about $175 to express the supplement to a location overseas where it could not be purchased over the counter. Later attempts to discontinue potassium (laziness, in taking the pills) repeatedly led to similar findings. Due to the short response periods and clear symptoms, THAT turned out to be an easy causal connection to establish.

Granted ... such clear cause-and-effects are not so easy to determine for more subtle processes like memory.
Potassium is very important and the US RDA is 4700mg daily. And I'd bet MANY don't get enough potassium. Fatigue is a major factor when potassium is low. I'm not a big banana person but enjoy my avocados which are high in potassium. So days when I'm drooping more, I take some 99mg potassium tablets. We older folks do need help.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:55 PM

I just read another "tough" story about a mother with dementia and all I can say is PREVENTION PREVENTION PREVENTION...as much as one can work on PREVENTION do it. Pycnogenol and/or Grape Seed Ex are starting places to PREVENTION.

One of many info links:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...ame=PYCNOGENOL

Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,456,512 times
Jam, I have taken morphine for chronic continuous back, hip and knee pain for about 10 years. I also have codeine chasers for when the morphine doesn't work so well.

I've not noticed ANY memory issues that can't be also associated with normal aging to age 54. And that is no different really than "forgetfulness" at age 25.

So I don't know where why or how you associated drugs such as those to memory loss.

Perhaps when I'm 85 if I live that long I will notice a difference, wait, what was I talking about again?

I think many factors contribute to it, people living longer, natural deterioration if our bodies, poorer nutrition, etc that probably hasn't been studied to death. Where am I?

Alzheimer's was once unheard of, but an aging forgetful memory has been around for years. Who are You? Do I know you?

When the wealthy want to stop memory loss, they will then fund programs to use us commoners as guinea pigs to help stop or find a cure. What day is today?

Until then, things that use your brain, card games, chess , crossword puzzles etc to exercise the mind will have to do to strengthen/maintain our brains. Now, where DID I put my keys? Do I have keys?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement