Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Jam, I have taken morphine for chronic continuous back, hip and knee pain for about 10 years. I also have codeine chasers for when the morphine doesn't work so well.

I've not noticed ANY memory issues that can't be also associated with normal aging to age 54. And that is no different really than "forgetfulness" at age 25.

So I don't know where why or how you associated drugs such as those to memory loss.

Perhaps when I'm 85 if I live that long I will notice a difference, wait, what was I talking about again?

I think many factors contribute to it, people living longer, natural deterioration if our bodies, poorer nutrition, etc that probably hasn't been studied to death. Where am I?

Alzheimer's was once unheard of, but an aging forgetful memory has been around for years. Who are You? Do I know you?

When the wealthy want to stop memory loss, they will then fund programs to use us commoners as guinea pigs to help stop or find a cure. What day is today?

Until then, things that use your brain, card games, chess , crossword puzzles etc to exercise the mind will have to do to strengthen/maintain our brains. Now, where DID I put my keys? Do I have keys?

I deal with chronic pain as well, but I will not take those hard strong drugs unless I'm in a hospital or rehab and things are that bad .....

I've seen enough in the rehabs that put a lot of fear in me and the drugs so many take. Then I read stories of dementia patients...

I choose the two antioxidants as there is so much info and research done with these and for cancer prevention too for some cancers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I deal with chronic pain as well, but I will not take those hard strong drugs unless I'm in a hospital or rehab and things are that bad .....

I've seen enough in the rehabs that put a lot of fear in me and the drugs so many take. Then I read stories of dementia patients...

I choose the two antioxidants as there is so much info and research done with these and for cancer prevention too for some cancers.
I have the morphine, the codeine, I also get trigger point injections, deep epidural injections and radio frequency ablation all in an effort to alleviate the chronic continuous pain. I also have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

I am still in pain, some days a manageable 3, some days a 9, some days it's a 14 on the 10 pain scale and I can barely move, let alone walk.

I already get around with a cane, and won't go to a walker unless I absolutely have to.

Winter, cold weather, rain and snow make it tremendously worse. The easy solution to that would be to move to a winter free zone, but until the 89 FIL or 83 yo father pass, it's not possible.

But I've dealt with this since the degenerative disease began at age 25, so for 28 years. I'll never be pain free, and can only hope to alleviate it to some degree.

I have the best neurosurgeon and pain Dr in the area to work on me. Even they don't give me much hope.

If life is a bowl of cherries, why am I always in the pits?

Old 11-02-2017, 03:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have the morphine, the codeine, I also get trigger point injections, deep epidural injections and radio frequency ablation all in an effort to alleviate the chronic continuous pain. I also have arthritis in every bone and joint in my body.

I am still in pain, some days a manageable 3, some days a 9, some days it's a 14 on the 10 pain scale and I can barely move, let alone walk.

I already get around with a cane, and won't go to a walker unless I absolutely have to.

Winter, cold weather, rain and snow make it tremendously worse. The easy solution to that would be to move to a winter free zone, but until the 89 FIL or 83 yo father pass, it's not possible.

But I've dealt with this since the degenerative disease began at age 25, so for 28 years. I'll never be pain free, and can only hope to alleviate it to some degree.

I have the best neurosurgeon and pain Dr in the area to work on me. Even they don't give me much hope.

If life is a bowl of cherries, why am I always in the pits?

I got more messed up after hip replacement in 2010, OA got WORSE. I used a cane sometimes and kept it in trunk. With the replacement my knee got worse as the body shifted so much and caused all the stress on the knee and foot/ankle. Then the staph infection in knee and 4.5 months in hospital/rehabs and fear I might not walk again as doctors didn't find infection for months...bad bad on their parts.

I use a walker now and it's my 3 and 4th leg. I walk short distances without but feel more secure with. And yes cold/wet weather makes it all much worse. Glad I moved West 50 yrs ago.

Is your major issue arthritis or is there more involved? There is info that talks about more pain meds creates more pain.

My cousin in the East has all major joint replacements starting when her medicare kicked in and she's probably 10 yrs older than me.

BTW: I do take some alternative pain reducers that do help me, like MSM powder a couple times daily in glass of spring water. Calms pain.

Just reading Amazon reviews on Cosamin DS and they break down their reviews to specific joints, so I zoned in mostly on knees as I want to keep walking. I'm on my first bottle of 108 caps and into about 3 weeks taking it. Many talk about being on this SUPPORT for years... There is so much more for pain than just the pharma ways.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-02-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I had all the biomarkers done which determined a quickly advancing RA. Hands so swollen, red and virtually non-functional. In the ER twice, practically screaming: "They HAVE to be broken!!! Just LOOK at them!!!"

The pharma solution? ANTI-IMMUNITY drugs! Seriously?! No thank you. Went to a Naturopath 50 miles away whom a friend recommended.. The remedies he gave me have a mix of things in them. Redness - GONE; Swelling - GONE; Usability - BACK.

I'm a believer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good to hear your success story. There are so many non believers...
It's always nice when someone admits they are part of a cult.

You shouldn't need to 'believe' in a form of treatment. It should just work, AND be provable.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
I listened to a segment of CBS this morning yesterday morning where they had a doctor on who had written a book about Alzheimer's. She said only about 5% of Alzheimer's is genetics. She said a lot of it is diet and exercise, which is very encouraging to me. Those things we can do something about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement