Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:09 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
As we all get older, our routine changes, activities may decrease or change for one or other reason. This may cause us to fall into a routine where today looks like yesterday, and tomorrow is pretty much the same. To break this up, some of us travel, others work part-time, others volunteer, and of course there's always the Internet and forums like this one to pass the time. But for those who may not be able to do any of those things, what have you found works best to make each day slightly different and more interesting from the one before? What are the things that give you a reason to get out of bed other than to get that cup of coffee !
I'm afraid it's too late for yesterday and today. You could take tomorrow to Disneyland however.

Seriously, I am retired myself. I have found that planning for a trip does wonders. First there is the anticipation. And then the going. And then there is starting all over again with the planning for a new trip. I am turning 70 next year, and my family is planning to take me to Rome. Because I have never been. But a trip doesn't have to be that ambitious. First find someone to go with. And then go anyplace you have never been before. That is the definition of breaking the routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 03:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Good question. Me? I bought a small fiberglass travel trailer and travel around my country and see what I missed while working...mostly during summer months to get away from FL during the hottest months. You don't need a behemoth RV that gets 2 mpg...you can get a 17 ft easily maintainable, manageable little RV trailer and see and experience so much......I'm already planning my next summer's 3 month trip. Had a good trip last summer to Utah, Wyoming, SD, Colorado, Texas and many of the southern states......you really owe it to yourself to travel before you get too later into retirement and lose the energy.
Is that a Casita? 17 ft is pretty good-sized for one of those. You must have a little bathroom in there too.

What do you do, hit the National Parks?

Old 10-31-2017, 03:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I doubt if we will be bored. I tell my husband there will be a new sheriff in town to oversee the progress on the reno.
I finished being project manager on an extensive renovation earlier this year. The house just sold after five days on the market. $1.04 million. Multiple offers.

I've been looking at a run-down property in Arizona in a town where prices are rising steadily, trying to decide whether or not I want to go through this again. Would you do it again?

Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I find it very sad when people talk about trying to find activities or trying to do something to pass the time. .
I don't see it like that. I see it as exploring new things that I might find enjoyable.

When I was working, I didn't have much time for that. Now that I'm retired, I can seek out new activities, new adventures, new experiences. It's not waiting to die, it's taking the time to live and enjoy.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is that a Casita? 17 ft is pretty good-sized for one of those. You must have a little bathroom in there too.

What do you do, hit the National Parks?
yes, 17 ft Casita w/ bath, kitchen, small dinette and bed enough for two - kind of tight inside, so you've got to do outside stuff..picture isn't mine.....hit the NPs last year Utah, Wyoming (Yellowstone), SD.....might return next summer - really enjoyed Colorado Springs area....mountain biking most days.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:32 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I finished being project manager on an extensive renovation earlier this year. The house just sold after five days on the market. $1.04 million. Multiple offers.

I've been looking at a run-down property in Arizona in a town where prices are rising steadily, trying to decide whether or not I want to go through this again. Would you do it again?
No, I would use the money we spent and buy a more expensive house that had all the work already done. It has been very stressful.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Some people said the same thing when they were working. "oh all the days feel the same".

IME, busy people stay busy and people with interests stay interested.

People who worked for 40 years sometimes are just enjoying the freedom of being able to enjoy their HOMES which were basically a former crash pad during working years.

I'll never forget the night my 8 year old was laying in my lap with an ear ache and I was on the phone with a customer with a problem. A major trucking company. Every time we saw their trucks on the road he'd "laugh" and say "I hate them" LOL. Nuggets of truth you have to listen to even if it's said like a joke. I immediately changed my work balance boundaries from that night. Of course there were plenty of nights he didn't have time for me, LOL, but I didn't have an memorable earache.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't see it like that. I see it as exploring new things that I might find enjoyable.

When I was working, I didn't have much time for that. Now that I'm retired, I can seek out new activities, new adventures, new experiences. It's not waiting to die, it's taking the time to live and enjoy.
This is it exactly!!! People may spend the majority of their lives earning a paycheck and once we're able to retire we should be rejoicing in our new found freedom and all the opportunities it brings.

It would be a waste of time to sit around wringing our hands asking, "Oh my, what I am going to do to keep busy?" "What if I get bored?"

If there are those who can't deal with the emotional and physical freedom of retirement, they may need to choose to keep working. . .or for those already retired, seriously consider finding another job so you won't have to fret about all the free time on your hands.

Retirement is the icing on the cake, enjoy it's sweetness!!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:52 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Javacoffee-you and me! Got the coffee on, come on over whenever you feel like it!
:-D

Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
Feeling the same to whom?

You?

Yesterday felt the same to you? And yet you, apparently, did the same thing today that you did yesterday.

You have already determined that tomorrow will feel the same too.

You made yesterday. You're making today. You can make tomorrow.

You.

How would I change it? "Only boring people get bored".

"If you could kick the person in the ass who is most responsible for your problems, you couldn't sit down for six weeks"

If it were me, I might try something different. But then again I'm not scared, so I have no idea what YOU can do.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement