Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

Our first major weather change in under way.......NWS and the local forecasters say light rain (started after midnight) changing to snow sometime during late today. Continued snow (lite to moderate/depending on one's elevation), for the next 4 days.
At my elevation [3656'] I'll probably get around 5 to 8 inches, depending upon if any rain is mixed in.

However, I have a friend who lives at 4000', and he could get double my amount and he is only 1.5 miles away.....Our elevations in this county vary from about 3450 to over 8000 feet.
My timing for a new set of winter/snow tires was off by about two weeks.........The Set I ordered over the Internet were delivered yesterday to my front porch: [Hankook, i-pike/RW11, 265/70r/17], I'll get them mounted & balanced next Tuesday. The weather is supposed to be much better and the "RUSH at the local tire shops will be much less than the next 5 days.
The set I still have on the SUV lasted approx 47,000 miles, including 3 R/T to AZ,....I don't take them off for the summer driving .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:55 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Yup, Indian Summer is over here in North Idaho. It rained a little bit this morning and is predicted to snow this weekend. Ten inches, "they" say. Low temps down into the teens too. I was hoping to take one a last bike ride for the season tomorrow, but not if the roads are wet.

I was in Lowes last week looking at a snow blower that was on sale, but before purchasing it, wanted to go home and read the on-line owner's reviews to ensure I'm not purchasing a piece of junk. The limited reviews were fine and I went back after church on Sunday to purchase one.

The three they had were sold and only the display model was on the shelf. The sales guy didn't offer to sell me that one, but we checked if there were any 'in the back'. None in stock . . . none on backorder . . . and none "in process", (whatever that means). He couldn't even order me one, even though it was still on sale, (till tonight). He did check the distribution center and they show 196. He conjectured that they are being held for some type of Black Friday sale. (A whole lot of good it will do us sitting in the warehouse when it's going to start snowing this weekend.)

On a whim, he got on-line with the store's computer and we tried to order one as a consumer. It went through, (but we didn't complete the transaction). So, after checking how the veteran 10% discount is applied, went home and ordered one. That was Sunday night. It arrived via FedEx yesterday, (Tuesday), and I spent a bit of time putting it together yesterday afternoon. Best part is that shipping was 'free of charge'.

There it sits, in the living room waiting for the snow. The battery is charged. I've read the directions. And I sit eagerly looking out the front window, awaiting to try it out.

Depending on how long the battery lasts will determine when I purchase the companion lawn mower. The batteries are pretty expensive if purchased by themselves.

For those interested, it is a Greenworks Pro 60v 20" single-stage cordless snow thrower. Normally $300, they are currently on sale, (until tonight), for $250. Your veteran discount will save you another $25 bucks. If you want one, order it on-line. Don't bother going to the store because they won't have any and can't order any.

Now, I have to decide if I want to keep the diesel in the garage or the AWD RAV4. Probably won't use the diesel when there is snow/ice on the road due to it being a gutless stick shift, rear-wheel drive sedan. The mechanic's assistant I talked to yesterday said that there shouldn't be any issues if the block freezes. The car just won't run. Coolant is fine, I think. The Mercedes mechanic is on vacation until Thanksgiving, so I'm flying blind for awhile.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
That reminds me, I need to fire up the generator and snow blower to make sure everything works before I need it. And yes it does snow in CA and we can get power failures in decent

Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
In a 4 season some, or even 3 season, the 4tg season has to arrive sometime!

Winter will arrive sometime about the same time every year. It's nothing new.

I detest winter, and can't wait to retire to winter free zone, but I know when my birthday rolls around in Sept that colder weather, snow darker days and winter are coming up. Can't change it.

On the other hand, my OH was born in April, so that means spring is springing, yay!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:42 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Yep, it's that time. We live in our RV up north while we try to get our new residence up and running. Woke up Saturday morning to a thick layer of frost on the ground. Took a while finding a place to get the trailer ready for winterizing, which I will do Saturday. It's time to start some serious planning for season 4.

Also, that was a good reminder to get the snowblower readied for the season- and to get out the winter clothes and snowshoes for another round of winter!

Old 11-02-2017, 05:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Glad I live in TX. What's a snow blower ?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:31 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Glad I live in TX. What's a snow blower ?
Oh, that's so cold. Now that I'm in Arizona I'm going to try very hard not to rub it in. Couldn't take another Minnesota winter but I actually enjoyed them when I as younger.

There's nothing quite like a white Christmas.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
I should probably have my head examined. I've lived my whole life within about 100 miles of where I was born in Southern California and what do I do when I retired? Up and move to snow country!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Our first major weather change in under way.......NWS and the local forecasters say light rain (started after midnight) changing to snow sometime during late today. Continued snow (lite to moderate/depending on one's elevation), for the next 4 days.
At my elevation [3656'] I'll probably get around 5 to 8 inches, depending upon if any rain is mixed in.

However, I have a friend who lives at 4000', and he could get double my amount and he is only 1.5 miles away.....Our elevations in this county vary from about 3450 to over 8000 feet.
My timing for a new set of winter/snow tires was off by about two weeks.........The Set I ordered over the Internet were delivered yesterday to my front porch: [Hankook, i-pike/RW11, 265/70r/17], I'll get them mounted & balanced next Tuesday. The weather is supposed to be much better and the "RUSH at the local tire shops will be much less than the next 5 days.
The set I still have on the SUV lasted approx 47,000 miles, including 3 R/T to AZ,....I don't take them off for the summer driving .
Love this area. My brother, Michael Bishop, lived in Hamilton. He passed this year. I think his wife Elizabeth might still ive there, no contact from her, etc.

Enjoy!!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
We're having a strange fall her in the Chicago area. We haven't had much in the way of fall colors and we used to peak a week before Halloween. There is still a lot of green leaves and most of my flowers are still alive and vibrant. There was a freeze about a week ago but it didn't hit our area. Our temps are below normal now and will be so until the weekend. It will warm up to near 70 with thunderstorms. I don't think we had much of an Indian summer. We had a 90+ degree heat wave for about a week in September to plummeting temperatures and cold rainy days a couple of weeks later. Maybe Indian summer will come around Thanksgiving. I remember it being 70 degrees one year. Maybe we'll have fall colors by then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement