U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM

101 posts, read 402,912 times

Advertisements

My parents are looking to buy a home to retire in. All of their kids live around NYC. Anyone have any recommendations for good retirement locales- nj, ny, ct???? They are presently looking at some places in south jersey. They would prefer to be near water, anything within 2 hours of NYC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 PM

4,718 posts, read 10,316,418 times
Why not the Northern Poconos in Pennsylvania. I would move to the Lake Wallenpaupack area in a heartbeat if I was retired. Check it out...
Hawley - Lake Wallenpaupack Chamber of Commerce

Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
I live in this general area. It is beautiful, lots of water. In fact, just today as I was driving up North I commented to myself (no one else in the car) how lovely the creeks, streams and river are in this area.

It is about 2hrs from downtown NYC, or perhaps 2-1/2hrs by public transportation.

Only one problem I've experienced: lots of snow this winter, but my neighbours take it in stride.

Check out Western Sullivan County, upper Orange County (NY), Wayne, Pike County (PA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Why not the Northern Poconos in Pennsylvania. I would move to the Lake Wallenpaupack area in a heartbeat if I was retired. Check it out...
Hawley - Lake Wallenpaupack Chamber of Commerce

Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Oh, I fogot about the cheap taxes and living expenses. And I belive that they do not tax on retirement money.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM

What do you mean..no .tax on retirement? I just did my taxes and I paid tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oh, I fogot about the cheap taxes and living expenses. And I belive that they do not tax on retirement money.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:51 AM

Check it out. Go down the page till you come to Retiremnet Income Taxes

Taxes by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
What do you mean..no .tax on retirement? I just did my taxes and I paid tax.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM

5,438 posts, read 10,521,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia32 View Post
My parents are looking to buy a home to retire in. All of their kids live around NYC. Anyone have any recommendations for good retirement locales- nj, ny, ct???? They are presently looking at some places in south jersey. They would prefer to be near water, anything within 2 hours of NYC. Thanks!
Nadia, I live in the northern Ocean County area in NJ. We are about 65 miles to NYS. I live within walking distance to Bay Head which is a lovely oceanfront community. The beaches are absolutely beautiful in the area. Within 1 1/2 hours of NYC. They have many retirement communities in all price ranges within 15-20 minutes from the beach on Ocean County. They have a lovely community with a new clubhouse 40,000feet on a golf course named Greenbriar in Waretown that 20 minutes to Long Beach Island. I think the homes range from 300-400K. Boating,swimming,fishing abounds in this area. Good luck I would give more info if needed and I am not a realtor.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,019 times
My sister lives in Milford, PA, and plans to retire there next year. She's currently telecommuting to a job in Manhattan.
It's a pretty area, at the Delaware Water Gap. Lots of rivers, lakes, forests. There is bus and train service to Manhattan out of Port Jervis. It's about a an hour and a half, two hours depending on traffic.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM

I would second the Milford, Pa area. I just made my way there two times in the last couple of weeks. It has lots to offer and is centrally located to many other amenities and has quite a bit of charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
My sister lives in Milford, PA, and plans to retire there next year. She's currently telecommuting to a job in Manhattan.
It's a pretty area, at the Delaware Water Gap. Lots of rivers, lakes, forests. There is bus and train service to Manhattan out of Port Jervis.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM

101 posts, read 402,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Nadia, I live in the northern Ocean County area in NJ. We are about 65 miles to NYS. I live within walking distance to Bay Head which is a lovely oceanfront community. The beaches are absolutely beautiful in the area. Within 1 1/2 hours of NYC. They have many retirement communities in all price ranges within 15-20 minutes from the beach on Ocean County. They have a lovely community with a new clubhouse 40,000feet on a golf course named Greenbriar in Waretown that 20 minutes to Long Beach Island. I think the homes range from 300-400K. Boating,swimming,fishing abounds in this area. Good luck I would give more info if needed and I am not a realtor.
Thanks everyone for great suggestions. I think they are going to look in vicinity of Ocean Grove in NJ next week, but I will give other suggestions. Jersey Man- is this in vicinity of where you live? what do u think? Our neighbor recently bought house there and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement