Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:47 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,543,328 times

Advertisements

Ran across this article. I thought it was humorous.

https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...y-be-a-problem

While it may seem as though there can be no harm in living frugally, Fellowes and other finance experts say both seniors and the economy can suffer when spending declines.

Shift of income in retirement. For workers who have earned a paycheck for decades, the shift to using income from retirement accounts can be difficult. "When people start paying themselves, they get scared," says Dolph Janis, founder and owner of Clear Income Strategies Group in Charlotte, North Carolina.

After spending a lifetime saving money, it can feel unsettling to begin pulling cash from accounts that were previously off-limits. "It's a psychological issue," says Nancy Skeans, CEO of Schneider Downs Wealth Management Advisors in Pittsburgh. It's something even her more affluent clients experience. "They are really apprehensive about spending $30,000 or $40,000 for a new car," she says, even when they can clearly afford it.

lol oy vey

having too much money is a problem, having not enough is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM

776 posts, read 949,295 times
A perspective from Canada.

My wife and I are both over 70, and we own our home and all of our "things " are paid for.

Both of us contributed during our working years to the Canada Pension Plan, and in addition to employer pension plans. Mine is military ( 30 years service in the Canadian Forces retiring as the equivalent of a US E 8 ). My wife s is from a number of positions at various Universities over the years.

The CPP pension is based on your earnings per pay period ( gross ) and a equal contribution from the employer. I contributed from the start of the program in 1964, to 2003. My monthly CPP payment is about $1300 as is my wife's, add on two other pension payments and our monthly income is about $ 4500 a month.

We are not big spenders but we do live well. Today my Wife is in The Bahamas ( where she was born ) to attend a reunion of her College. We visit her family twice a year, and travel across Canada as well as Europe. We make contributions to our favourite charities and hold memberships in the local museums, symphony orchestra and the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Proper future wealth management is the key to our secure life now. Starting in our 20's.

XXX.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 AM

155 posts, read 155,579 times
I wonder...

What is a good percentage of the nest-egg to just blow because you've earned it (and are pretty sure it won't come back to bite you)?

I always want to spend more, but there's a catch-22. The habits that got you the money in the first place are hard to give up.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,109,516 times
It is better to err on the side of not spending. Nobody (should) want to reach 90 and find the till totally empty.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,543,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is better to err on the side of not spending. Nobody (should) want to reach 90 and find the till totally empty.
lol but do you want to reach 90 and be the richest man in the grave yard??

one of the philosophical arguments.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 AM

105,965 posts, read 107,900,219 times
with a spouse that is living you may not get that distinction .

Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,871,124 times
It was extremely difficult to let go of our 'saving' mentality after retiring. I still socked away half of my pension check despite high balances in our 401s, IRAs and 457s. And regular savings (we cashed out of DC-Metro large home). We retired early....ages 50 and 51 and I believed all the CNBC, etc. commentators that we would need millions in savings.

Now we are 64 and 65 and we can see that we need to spend down and enjoy at a much faster rate. Our current retirement accounts and savings are larger now than when we retired! If I didn't have this generous pension (70% of my last salary with small COLAs), maybe I'd feel differently.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,109,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

one of the philosophical arguments.
I balance my income (leaving the principle) between what I have to do and what I want to do. If a want is more than my income from investments, then I wait a few months until I have saved enough. Once my principle reaches preset levels that I am comfortable with I give myself a raise - and of course most of that goes toward entertainment. So far I have not suffered deprivation, and at the same time, I do not have a desire or need to spend every day.

Getting to the end with most of my principle intact doesn't bother me because those funds will go to my family. In fact, I am considering creating a trust or some such entity that will continue to benefit my family for years/decades/centuries... How much I have after I die will be $0.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 11-03-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 AM

10,314 posts, read 7,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Why not? The money doesn't generally get buried with the corpse. It ends up being redistributed to other people (who then generally go on to spend it).

Old 11-03-2017, 11:34 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,067,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Why not? The money doesn't generally get buried with the corpse. It ends up being redistributed to other people (who then generally go on to spend it).
Well it could. One big honking hole and "I AM taking everything with me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement