U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 6,418,343 times

Advertisements

In my first ten years of retirement I did a lot of traveling. I visited with my family and friends and lately there are not too many of them left. I saw all the sights I wanted to see. I was racking up about 25-30k miles a year. Lately my mileage is about 7k miles a year. My car mostly sits. I read that AAA estimates it costs about $6100 dollars a year for a car and I began to wonder if keeping a car was really practical. Where I am located I have access to Uber and Lyft, taxi's, and public transit. I can even have the city transit pick me up at my house. I also have a car rental agency close by. Financially there is no doubt that there is a substantial savings to be had by giving up my car. My con is that I have always had a car except while in the service and overseas. It is hard to imagine myself without a car sitting at the ready.
Comments appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM

23,732 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Well, I'm 79 yr old female and have driven a car for over 60 yrs. I drove a lot and in the last 10 yrs or so I've not enjoyed driving. It's very buys in this town and fear I'll hit someone texting while walking. Not really, but it's a thought. I had posted here some time back about getting rid of my car.

I have had a knee issue that put me down for months and now I use a walker and don't know if my knee will improve MUCH down the road...I fear knee replacement.

Anyway, I sold my 1995 Corolla that was going to be a money pit as my daughter put it and I agree. Plus all the fees....anyway it was hard and took some months to DO IT but I'm no longer owned by an auto. We have a lot of city transportation for seniors and my friends and daughter and soon my grandkids help me get to where I need to go.

I like not putting my savings into an auto.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-04-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 08:03 PM

14,032 posts, read 20,343,555 times
My suggestion is: don’t drive for month.
Use the alternatives and track the cost. Make notes about ease of use or not.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 734,920 times
This doesn't necessarily answer your question, but if your car is paid off and you're only driving 7k a year, it's probably costing you much less than $6100/year. Insurance will likely be the bulk of your yearly expenses.

If you can afford it, why not just keep the car, even if it sits most of the time. You never know when it might come in handy.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 PM

691 posts, read 254,530 times
im inclined to say keep the car. if it is paid off even better. 6100 a year even for a paid off car.. say for legal requirements only, is 500 a month which sounds like they incorporated break down repairs. 6100 sounds fluffed (including maintenance and break down costs). its probably a lot less

with the independence your own personal car at the ready gives you is valuable. and the peace of mind that you KNOW you have a way around.

having it on hand to sell person to person if you run in to a large money need

the idea you could use it to bless a younger family member with a car at little to no cost, down the road after it sits to long

keeping it gives you a lot of options

Old 11-04-2017, 08:25 PM

23,732 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
This doesn't necessarily answer your question, but if your car is paid off and you're only driving 7k a year, it's probably costing you much less than $6100/year. Insurance will likely be the bulk of your yearly expenses.

If you can afford it, why not just keep the car, even if it sits most of the time. You never know when it might come in handy.
My car was sitting for months and sitting is not what cars are made for. Well, OP will make a decision when the answer comes to him/her.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
For me, I dont' want to give up having my own vehicle until I absolutely can't have one anymore. And maybe then, I'll just drive illegally as long as I can get away with it. I'll be that dangerous senior on the road driving without a license.

Today, I went clothes shopping for myself. I drove all over town, to different stores, and then stopped by the library real quick, then decided to go check one more store to see if they might have earrings to go with the outfit I was putting together...

I can't imagine doing what I did today via Uber or Lyft. And forget public transportation - doing all I did today in one day waiting for buses and walking in the rain...while I worried about getting back to take care of my dog...

Anyway, for me - no way. I want my own vehicle and the freedom that goes with it.

I mean, just imagine opening up the cupboard and realizing you need one ingredient to cook what you had in mind. Do you hop in your vehicle and run down to the market real quick - no problem. Do you call Uber or Lyft or take a bus or pay for a cab? Maybe a $20 trip to buy $3.00 of tomatoes?

When I lived in the country, it was a 30 minute mountain drive, on a good day, to get to the grocery store. It was a major event and you better remember every possible thing you might run out of, or you will be SOL - that's what it would be like. Gives me the shivers.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:05 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
Until I can no longer drive, I won't give up my vehicle.

I lived for about 4 years without one. Used the city bus service, and twice a month took a cab hone from the grocery. At the time I could not afford a vehicle.

I HATED not having my own vehicle.

I had yo go to the bus stop at least a half hour to make sure I caught the bus if it was early. Had to catch a bus early enough to get to my destination early enough to be on time. Sometime s it was a 2 hour chore to go 10 miles. Sometimes to get some place, I had to get there by way of china, because no direct route existed.more time wasted.
I had to stand bundled up in bitter cold weather and sweat in summer heat waiting for the bus to come. I had to cab if In Days before uber or lyft during off bus hours. I had to take a cab home from The hospital at all hours due to medical reasons.

As soon as I was able I bought a beater as after 4 years of the bus I had enough.

I like having my own wheels too much and am to fmdarn independent to not have my own vevicle. If i cam help it ill never be without my owm vehicles.

Sou d's nice to save that $6k, but as one poster said park your car for a no th or two and see how living without it is, then you'll know.

You also may think you are not going to travel further than a baseball diamond, but wait til you do, you'll habe the hassle and cost of renting a car.

Think long and hard before you do.

But may be it's for you to give it up.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:54 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
You lose too much independence by giving up your vehicle. As long as we can both drive, we'll have at least two vehicles. Even if only one of us can drive, we'll keep one as a spare. But I can't imagine ever wanting to rely on public transportation or Uber or Lyft. There are too many times that I need to go to the grocery or hardware store. Having my own vehicle means I can go anywhere, anytime. And that's the way I like it.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:17 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My suggestion is: donít drive for month.
Use the alternatives and track the cost. Make notes about ease of use or not.
That's a good idea.

When you are thinking about making a change and it's possible to try it out before you commit, just do that.

Before we retired, we lived on our proposed retirement income for one year to see if it would work. It did. Then we made the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or