Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 PM

439 posts, read 345,582 times

Advertisements

I understand Ameritas (which I have) and Denali have the best policies.

Their premiums I cannot speak to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
I understand Ameritas (which I have) and Denali have the best policies.

Their premiums I cannot speak to
They vary by zip code, you can find the rates on the links I provided without entering personal information. Unfortunately my zipcode is the highest priced in the US for dental insurance so I pay more than most people for the coverage, but it's been worth it. After I have the rest of my work done in January I will drop one of the plans. So far both companies have been great. The lady who does the billing in my dentist's office said both companies are very easy to work with.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 AM

Thanks 2sleepy

Regarding Ameritas Versus Spirit Dental, seems Spirit Dental offers more coverage for less costs. except there are only two dentists in our area accepting it.

My employer must be covering the majority of costs for BOTH my husband and I for the Ameritas Advantage Plus. The price difference is UNBELIEVABLE For the Plan, see below. $26.24 per pay period (About $53 a mo) versus $167 a month for the same exact plan!!

I see this as advantageous if a person is trying to "spend down" to a Medicaid Level of eligibility and/or have really severe dental issues.
Attached Thumbnails
seniors and dental expenses-screen-shot-2017-11-18-10.28.55   seniors and dental expenses-screen-shot-2017-11-18-10.33.01  

Last edited by Jeaniee; 11-19-2017 at 12:34 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 07:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Thanks 2sleepy

Regarding Ameritas Versus Spirit Dental, seems Spirit Dental offers more coverage for less costs. except there are only two dentists in our area accepting it.

My employer must be covering the majority of costs for BOTH my husband and I for the Ameritas Advantage Plus. The price difference is UNBELIEVABLE For the Plan, see below. $26.24 per pay period (About $53 a mo) versus $167 a month for the same exact plan!!
I see this as advantageous if a person is trying to "spend down" to a Medicaid Level of eligibility and/or have really severe dental issues.
Wow! I have no idea why Ameritas is so much higher, that's crazy. If your dentist doesn't participate in Spirit or Denali they can call and sign up, my neighbor enrolled in Spirit and her dentist signed up rather than lose her as a patient.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow! I have no idea why Ameritas is so much higher, that's crazy. If your dentist doesn't participate in Spirit or Denali they can call and sign up, my neighbor enrolled in Spirit and her dentist signed up rather than lose her as a patient.
Yes if I was paying the price, I wouldn't choose Ameritas

I might suggest to our company to contact our benefits co-ordinator. PJR insurance handles all of our insurance so it's interesting they didn't offer it.

Maybe Ameritas is much cheaper for the company

Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
ok thanks. So you're saying at either some point in life, the bones do not grow anymore to accomodate holding these fake teeth?

Just curious because as stated, we both get 2k per year in dental. An additional reason to work as long as I can which realistically, is 70+ yrs old

Thanks again
I am 73 and have avoided having dental work done for the past several years. Finally I decided that I should take advantage of the dental insurance my husband has as a retiree with his plan. They allow 2500 a year and I felt I needed an upper bridge to cover the gap on the sides which show when I smile. I'm not particularly vain, but vain enough. I decided to go to a dental college and, while I like my dentist well enough, I wonder if I made the right choice because they are not experienced, although the cost is less than a regular dentist. And I got more work than I would have anticipated since the school insisted on fixing everything they saw that was wrong before they made an upper partial. In the meantime, it's costing me quite a bit, even with the reduced pricing. But I believe I did the best I could as far as making a decision.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:46 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I am 73 and have avoided having dental work done for the past several years. Finally I decided that I should take advantage of the dental insurance my husband has as a retiree with his plan. They allow 2500 a year and I felt I needed an upper bridge to cover the gap on the sides which show when I smile. I'm not particularly vain, but vain enough. I decided to go to a dental college and, while I like my dentist well enough, I wonder if I made the right choice because they are not experienced, although the cost is less than a regular dentist. And I got more work than I would have anticipated since the school insisted on fixing everything they saw that was wrong before they made an upper partial. In the meantime, it's costing me quite a bit, even with the reduced pricing. But I believe I did the best I could as far as making a decision.
I don't know what dental school you're going to, but you can look up their rankings on-line. I went to University of Pennsylvania dental school, rated #10 in the country. It was slow going for sure, but they do have experienced, top-notch professors checking and approving all the work along the way. One time I had to get a certain procedure done three times before the professor approved it, and actually I think he might have actually done it in the end.

And it's probably a good thing that you've had the other work done as well.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
For some yrs I had Smilesaver dental plan and it worked good for me for some yrs...then it changed hands and I dropped it. Then I looked at Carrington 500 but never joined as I take care of my own dental health pretty much with what I do NOW. I've had my share of dental work in my 79 yrs and now don't go to dentists.

I know here some go to UCLA dental school for work.

I've majorally cut back on sugars and carbs that I indulged in for most of my life. Very damaging to the teeth.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't know what dental school you're going to, but you can look up their rankings on-line. I went to University of Pennsylvania dental school, rated #10 in the country. It was slow going for sure, but they do have experienced, top-notch professors checking and approving all the work along the way. One time I had to get a certain procedure done three times before the professor approved it, and actually I think he might have actually done it in the end.

And it's probably a good thing that you've had the other work done as well.
I actually did not look up any ratings, didn't think there were any. I had to choose between Univ. or Pittsburgh and Morgantown WV because we live closer to WV and I do not like Pittsburgh traffic. After a few calls, I must say that Pittsburgh was much clearer in their explanations to me. HOWEVER, I chose Morgantown (Ruby dental school) because the ride was much easier. I have not been dissatisfied, however there are some things that I was not entirely pleased with. I am glad there were teachers there that checked the work. And offered suggestions to the student. Time will tell, as my off-the-wall brother in law says.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For some yrs I had Smilesaver dental plan and it worked good for me for some yrs...then it changed hands and I dropped it. Then I looked at Carrington 500 but never joined as I take care of my own dental health pretty much with what I do NOW. I've had my share of dental work in my 79 yrs and now don't go to dentists.

I know here some go to UCLA dental school for work.

I've majorally cut back on sugars and carbs that I indulged in for most of my life. Very damaging to the teeth.
I've had my share of dental work. I try to keep my mouth clean. OTOH, I guess I could do better such as rinse after every time I eat. And I was not experiencing problems, although missing some teeth. I was happy that I was not having any shaky teeth of the ones I have left, or pain. But I decided I wanted a partial. So I visited a dentist in my plan. The total was about 10,000 for all the work they said was necessary. Plus they rushed me. That is when I decided to look into the dental schools. Can't say the school was that much cheaper but every bit helps. And yes, they were slow about scheduling, which didn't bother me. In other words, weeks would pass between appts. BUT you remind me of something. I need to make sure the dollar amount will move into next year when the 2500 starts again. I think. So I may refuse the denture until after Jan. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement