Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:42 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,193,687 times

Advertisements

Interesting that you choose to leave your money to foreign interests.

It is unfortunate that people who have benefited from their presence in America, don't feel any loyalties to the place or the people that made what they have accumulated possible.

I am guessing you're a dual-citizen/foreign national. Let me go on record as saying your kind of behavior perfectly highlights the problem of allowing these kinds of shenanigans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,647,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Can you name a beneficiary on a bank account? I never thought of that.

What cash is left in my account is POD (pay on death) to a young woman who is going to look after my dogs. Ask at your bank.

My children are already downsizing. They don't want my stuff.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

It is unfortunate that people who have benefited from their presence in America, don't feel any loyalties to the place or the people that made what they have accumulated possible.

I am guessing you're a dual-citizen/foreign national. Let me go on record as saying your kind of behavior perfectly highlights the problem of allowing these kinds of shenanigans.
Shenanigans?
His money. He earned it. He can do what he pleases. No specific nation is entitled to it. I'm sure he's paid his share of taxes over the years. Odd point of view of entitlement.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:11 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,309,428 times
The Wife and I have to sit and make arrangements. After seeing how my family handled my parents, and the little they had left without a Will, I definitely will put it in writing.....only thing is, they will get into the house and have a free for all before I'm even cold. My sister was passing out Dad's gas credit card, and the other sister laid claim to his car in the parking lot 10 minutes after he passed....they argued over a stack of pennies found at his apartment. Mom, my younger sister drove away in her car, and took all the money from her account that she had power of attorney over, about 1/2 hour after her body was removed from the house.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:04 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,498,586 times
I think a little differently. If your parent(s) die and don't leave you something in the will, you will feel like you did something to hurt them, or that they didn't love you. The mind can be a strange thing.

Why not leave your children a small amount each, and then leave the bulk of it to the Israel place.

I think it would be a mistake to cut your children off completely without there being a good reason. When a parent dies, it's nice to think that they loved you, and not to suspect that they didn't. They will wonder about it, and look to the past, and if they did something to hurt your feelings.

Explain to them beforehand, or leave them letters to explain.

Just a suggestion! I would not personally leave my children completely out of my will. Wills can cause a lot of resentment.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 AM

34,805 posts, read 30,852,651 times
I have some family who have cut other family out of the will due to a falling out. Other than that, I would make your wishes clear beforehand.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,538,186 times
Quote:

What shenanigans? I think it's wonderful that she is thinking ahead and supporting the causes she believes in.

I don't feel the need to leave anything to anyone I don't want to. No I feel absolutely no "loyalty" to base my decision on where I was born.
America also "benefited" to my working here in the way of a boat load of taxes and military service.

I will do the same no matter where the geographic location. phony patriotism cracks me up. because I'm an American I have to give to American organizations???

Anyhoo Op.

My late husband and I were vehemently against large inheritance. first we saw the wreckage that can cause. LOL (I laugh about it now) at my husbands funeral repast, one of his cousins came up to me to try and shake me down for some money to start his business. He said my late husband was planning on being an investor. My mother and law and her twin sister do not speak to each other to this day over some WWII Japanese rice portraits that were given to one.

we gift our kids through out their lives, they went to college loan free, one will go to law school loan free (if he chooses) they will get help purchasing houses. I don't have grandchildren but if they are in the cards most likely I'll designate college funds for them

I plan on spending lol quite a bit of my assets down while I'm still healthy and able to do so. after that I'm a huge animal lover especially wildlife so I will leave a bit to international conservation efforts and animal causes.

Really is no "right" or "wrong". no one is "supposed" to be left any thing. I do agree with everyone who is saying to inform your children. My kids are in their 20's and they know full well how we felt about inheritances and what they won't be getting.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,861,339 times
Completely agree with and applaud you for leaving assets to someone/a church who NEEDS the $, rather than your children who are well off and do not NEED it.

My kids are also pretty set up financially, the first two had trust funds from my first husband's parents, son managed his very well and is affluent, daughter kinda squandered hers but has married well and is fine, the younger two are success driven (one in Uni the other headed there next year) achievers who I doubt will ever be poor either.

They all know my assets shall be divided among several dog rescues. I already gave most of my good jewelry to the 3 girls except my diamonds and those are going to the rescue as well to be sold at their discretion.

Plug here for SPERANZA ANIMAL RESCUE, BAD RAP RESCUE and MARLEY'S MUTTS RESCUE. Any dog lovers considering doing as I am planning to do, these 3 are legit.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,861,965 times
Quote:

We are US citizens living abroad; we have Residente Permanentes in Mexico (like a US green card).

Frankly we don't recognize the US as the same place where we grew up, where we worked. No loyalty whatsoever to the current regime and state of affairs.

Not sure of the meaning of your last sentence about "allowing these kinds of shenanigans." Are you saying US citizens should not be allowed to live abroad? Are you saying US citizens should not be able to contribute to charities that help the poor overseas?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,309,428 times
When we do sit down and discuss what we are gonna do with whatever is left, neither family will gain if we can help it....don't mean to sound nasty, but I'm only called when somebody needs something. We do have a friend who has two daughters in thier 20's that make us proud to know, they will likely get most, and probably leave something for the Animal Shelter where we got our pup....he's been a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement