Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:32 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,418,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This board, and many retiree oriented area local boards, often receive post after post from people considering retiring to such and such area.

Being in Tennessee, one thing I've never understood is why people from big, rich, prosperous areas often become fixated on rural retirement living, oftentimes in areas they've never been to or know anything about. We often get posters on our local boards from California, New York, etc., who have never been to Tennessee (if they have - it's almost always to the tourist attractions only), nor lived in a small town, and seem downright set on moving, come hell or high water, with no one being able to change their minds.

Let's face it - we're mostly a suburban and urban nation now. Most of the population lives in fairly significant metro areas and their suburbs/exurbs, not isolated small towns and rural areas. We get used to certain lifestyles and amenities over the years. When I moved back to my small town in Tennessee from an affluent area of Indiana, it was a major shock to me, and often still is. I feel like the rug was yanked out from under me in many ways.

When people look at areas for retirement, it seems like people get overly obsessed with certain things. Taxes always come up. While taxes are important, I'd rather pay several thousand more in taxes annually in a place I'd rather be, rather than simply chasing areas with the lowest possible tax burden. When areas have very low tax burdens, they also usually have very little in the way of services or amenities, which may be important as people age.

People often seem to assume similar medical care is similar everywhere, but it isn't. I know a professor who is going through brain cancer. He cannot get all of the treatment he needs locally, so he goes to Duke periodically. Truly rural areas and very small towns may not even have a family doctor or small community hospital around for quite some distance. There are plenty of beautiful areas over in southwest Virginia that may not have a family doctor within hour in any direction.

Do we often place outsize importance on weather? In this area, we often get people who want a mild four season climate. We generally have that, but I wouldn't consider this a weather paradise. A lot of people want to move out of say, Ohio, for its cloudy winters. In my neck of the woods, we've been cloudy and cool all week, with seven of the next ten days either being mostly cloudy or raining. We're five to ten degrees warmer than Columbus, OH, which is also scheduled for about the same cloud cover and rain. November to March in most of the country is a slog weather-wise.

It seems to me that, in planning for retirement, many people are looking for significant life change, often having never experienced the lifestyle that they're "looking" for at all. It almost seems like people are wanting to buy into the brochures and vacation guides they see.

If someone desires to leave the rat race of NYC, DC, whatever, why did they wait forty years or whatever to do so? Yes, those areas are where the jobs are, but there are interior cities that also have good job markets. If the kids didn't want to relocate, well, they're probably gone by the time people reach traditional retirement age. If they are young, they go with you.

Thoughts?
Heaven help me, lol! I am your poster child. Fled recessions from one major metro to another to another. Swore I would retire in a rural area adjacent to a national park (or whatever, that would provide great dog walking - e.g., hiking - venues) and a place to grow my own chickens and veggies. And keep an RV for the perennial trips to National Parks all over the country.

I am now within striking distance of shedding the daily grind in this latest highly trafficked, congested area. Couple years.

What did I do? I bought a condo in ye olde same major metro where I am now. Seven blocks away from where I have rented for eleven years, to be precise. It is within 300 yards of grocery, town rec center, credit union, primary care physician, dentist, bus to metro, and town library. The library did it for me. Also that I could get to the DC museums at off hours within an hour door to door. Chickens and their processing, and a vegetable garden - out of the question.

What can I say? I am shallow. I'm with jrkliny (not implying that he is shallow). Even the lure of the Grand National Parks Tour is fading fast, in contrast to my (envisioned) comfy existence close to everything that de-stresses my (particular) life. Jeez, it bites to admit that, lol!

I could NEVER have predicted this change in preferences. I guess I already feel free, knowing that I've got a home base, enough dough, and that I know where everything is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 33,282,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
Sounds like you need to look for another job. That is terrible
I am in your camp. I cannot start work at 7am pulling full time.
No, thank you. I am retiring with pension in January. If I work again, it'll be for minimum wage at the wonderful animal shelter where I'm moving in Colorado in April. I will transfer my RN license (not willing yet to cut that cord) but there is no work where I'm going and I just ... don't... wanna.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,445,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Yeah, I plan to jump on the FL bandwagon when I retire next year.

I made my first exploratory trip in 2015 and I'm making my second trip in January to scout for apartments.

I grew up in Western NY on Lake Erie near Buffalo and have spent the past 27 years in CT (East of Hartford). I hate the cold (winters are more humid here than NYS) and I hate the dark--between Buffalo and here there's a full half hour difference. COL sucks, and taxes are high and living life "East of the River" is pretty boring.

My SIL thinks I'm nuts. I want to initially retire to the St. Petersburg area (probably Largo since that's where all the "cotton-tops" seem to hang out) but eventually, when I'm old and too decrepit, make my way back to my home town in WNYS to spend my dying days there. Either way I'll have beach access which is all I want anyway.

When I was married doing the spouse/house/kids thing I discovered I absolutely hated suburbia and semi-rural life. OTOH I'm really too old for big city living--I got that out of my system when I lived in Rochester (if you can call that "big city")

What I really miss are sidewalks. Hence, the draw back to my hometown.

BUT I'm also sick of the cold and damp. I'd rather deal with sunshine and T-storms (yeah, OK--and the occasional hurricane) rather than sunshine and 80 ft. of snow and endless hours in the dark.

So...when I retire I'm going to take a LOOOONG vacation in FL. I'll give it until I'm around 70. If it doesn't work out I'll head home...

...and find me a sidewalk....
Ha my screenname is east of the river.

I live in Manchester CT I actually prefer more rural but my wife prefers to be in the center of things. Manchester is a good compromise. And we do have sidewalks in my neighborhood.

On ST pete I spend alot of time in FL for work, St pete clearwater would be in my list of the few livable places in FL. Largo is nice and I like the laid back feel in Indian rocks beach. But take note FL is in general not considered pedestrian friendly. In fact for a number of years it was rated the most dangerous state for cyclists and pedestrians.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:41 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,890,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The perfect retirement life would be one where you could afford to move from place to place all year as the seasons changed. And not do it on the cheap.
Chicago in the spring-summer-fall and San Diego in the winter is enough moving for me. It's a great combination.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:46 AM

16,173 posts, read 10,314,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This board, and many retiree oriented area local boards, often receive post after post from people considering retiring to such and such area.

Being in Tennessee, one thing I've never understood is why people from big, rich, prosperous areas often become fixated on rural retirement living, oftentimes in areas they've never been to or know anything about. We often get posters on our local boards from California, New York, etc., who have never been to Tennessee (if they have - it's almost always to the tourist attractions only), nor lived in a small town, and seem downright set on moving, come hell or high water, with no one being able to change their minds.

Let's face it - we're mostly a suburban and urban nation now. Most of the population lives in fairly significant metro areas and their suburbs/exurbs, not isolated small towns and rural areas. We get used to certain lifestyles and amenities over the years. When I moved back to my small town in Tennessee from an affluent area of Indiana, it was a major shock to me, and often still is. I feel like the rug was yanked out from under me in many ways.

When people look at areas for retirement, it seems like people get overly obsessed with certain things. Taxes always come up. While taxes are important, I'd rather pay several thousand more in taxes annually in a place I'd rather be, rather than simply chasing areas with the lowest possible tax burden. When areas have very low tax burdens, they also usually have very little in the way of services or amenities, which may be important as people age.

People often seem to assume similar medical care is similar everywhere, but it isn't. I know a professor who is going through brain cancer. He cannot get all of the treatment he needs locally, so he goes to Duke periodically. Truly rural areas and very small towns may not even have a family doctor or small community hospital around for quite some distance. There are plenty of beautiful areas over in southwest Virginia that may not have a family doctor within hour in any direction.

Do we often place outsize importance on weather? In this area, we often get people who want a mild four season climate. We generally have that, but I wouldn't consider this a weather paradise. A lot of people want to move out of say, Ohio, for its cloudy winters. In my neck of the woods, we've been cloudy and cool all week, with seven of the next ten days either being mostly cloudy or raining. We're five to ten degrees warmer than Columbus, OH, which is also scheduled for about the same cloud cover and rain. November to March in most of the country is a slog weather-wise.

It seems to me that, in planning for retirement, many people are looking for significant life change, often having never experienced the lifestyle that they're "looking" for at all. It almost seems like people are wanting to buy into the brochures and vacation guides they see.

If someone desires to leave the rat race of NYC, DC, whatever, why did they wait forty years or whatever to do so? Yes, those areas are where the jobs are, but there are interior cities that also have good job markets. If the kids didn't want to relocate, well, they're probably gone by the time people reach traditional retirement age. If they are young, they go with you.

Thoughts?

I don't think you should be working for the Chamber of Commerce in Tennessee.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:03 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,092,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
........a place to grow my own chickens and veggies........

I have heard many people talk about such a thing. I don't personally know anyone who has done this. It seems like some unfulfilled idea from the 60s...communes, the Whole Earth Catalog, and such. I have never understood why anyone would want to live a subsistence lifestyle. It seems like a lot of hard peasant work for little return. Can someone explain the appeal or concept?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,182,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The Northeast is heavily unionized. There are plenty of pensions still here especially for those who've been at their company for years. New hires won't have as an easy time finding a pension.
Who is anyone to give someone a hard time about where others retire to? Frankly, you sound like a grump who doesn't want anyone who's not native to move to your area. Worry about yourself and not others. You'll be happier in life.
Doesn't matter if we are happier in life, have a good sense of humor when we have to confront short sighted comments from 'grumps'. I find your post totally hypocritical.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rural...-part-9-a.html

Old 11-11-2017, 06:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,656 posts, read 57,767,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have heard many people talk about such a thing. I don't personally know anyone who has done this. It seems like some unfulfilled idea from the 60s...communes, the Whole Earth Catalog, and such. I have never understood why anyone would want to live a subsistence lifestyle. It seems like a lot of hard peasant work for little return. Can someone explain the appeal or concept?
7 of my 8 retired neighbors are doing this. 4 of them 'full-blown'... full gardens, farmer's market vendors, raising replacement livestock, off-grid capable... (We all grow and cut our own firewood (often for each other))

All 4 of the intense versions are refugees from High Tech / the 'City', loving their new found 'freedom'. (and promoting how much 'healthier they live and feel (+/-)

Those of us who have been farmers (BTDT for last 50+ yrs) take a little more 'practical / diluted' path.

While I have 'enjoyed' living in some big international cities, I hope stay on the farm / uninterrupted view in retirement. (I don't do noise or stoplights). Some of us are more at home / at peace on the farm (I have never been to a 'health club' / on my feet 16 - 20 hrs / day since I was old enough to walk (usually outside, except during factory night shift 'standing' career).

I prefer a 'tumbleweed' xmas tree to 'window shopping' on my way to the bus stop... but that is what I'm comfortable with. Sure I enjoyed the panoramic view from the 50th floor flat in a big city, but... it was just not 'home'. I loved the empty Nature parks in the city (while everyone else was busy working and shopping).
but... give me 'Green Acres - the place to be'(creatures of habit).

Many retirees 'return to their roots'. (some by choice, others by necessity / obligation)

No longer so 'PC'...
Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthe...reslyrics.html

Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM

17,500 posts, read 38,979,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
A quick look at the Florida forums will reveal literally thousands of people ready to jump in their cars and move to Florida ... a large percentage of whom have perhaps only been to Disney World once on vacation.

Almost all want to live in an idyllic beach town (preferably only a short, sandy shuffle to the ocean), where tourists and traffic are minimal, the weather never too hot or cold, housing is cheap, taxes are low, shopping and entertainment are within walking distance and everyone is friendly. Those without jobs, want good, high-paying careers immediately available to anyone willing to move here (regardless of experience or qualifications). Those with families want the best schools within walking distance and older folks want top-notch healthcare on every corner.

This pattern seems driven by the unfounded conviction that "anyplace else, FL., Ca., Az or Tx" will provide everything one seeks in life (but, is not available "where they are."
OMG, isn't that the truth????? I tried to give you reps, but have to "spread it around." It is unbelievable the unrealistic expectations so many have (about Florida, at least). I am a Florida native, we live here and are staying here in retirement. For us we have exactly what we need right where we are. We love warm/hot weather, lots of sun, living in a small city - it is touristy in season, but we have loads of cultural amenities and things to do which are important to us. Good health care if/when needed.

I think people should look long and hard at what is really important to them for day to day living especially as they age; and also consider the REALITY of living wherever it is they are dreaming about. Many are just wanting to "run away" from an area. That is fine, if a change is really needed then move. But it is important to be realistic about it, do plenty of research and MAKE LOTS OF VISITS!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,266,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Ha my screenname is east of the river.

I live in Manchester CT I actually prefer more rural but my wife prefers to be in the center of things. Manchester is a good compromise. And we do have sidewalks in my neighborhood.

On ST pete I spend alot of time in FL for work, St pete clearwater would be in my list of the few livable places in FL. Largo is nice and I like the laid back feel in Indian rocks beach. But take note FL is in general not considered pedestrian friendly. In fact for a number of years it was rated the most dangerous state for cyclists and pedestrians.
Here in CT, I can't tell you the number of "near misses" I've had on my way home from work or driving at night (especially this time of year) when I come upon some idiot walking on the side of the road dressed head to toe in dark clothes, impossible to detect until the headlights shine on him/her. One guy was bent over tying his shoe! Years ago we were taught as pedestrians to "look both ways" and be cautious. Nowadays, the prevailing attitude is that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way and bears no responsibility whatsoever--"so hey, I'm going to just walk right in front of traffic because it HAS TO STOP for me! "

The problem with that rationale is that you don't know what's happening in that 2 ton vehicle that's barreling down the road. Besides the usual driving-while-distracted infractions, the driver could be having a heart attack, be distracted by a bunch of noisy kids in the car, doesn't know that the turn signal is still on, or even be distracted by a bee buzzing around. When I see a car coming down the road with its turn signal on, I don't move until that car starts to slow down and make the turn. When I'm forced to walk on the road I walk on the grass or as far away as I can from the road. When I'm walking on the road I slow down to watch the on-coming cars and anticipate my next move in case a vehicle veers in my direction.

Pardon me while I err on the side of caution....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement