Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times

Advertisements

I love everything about winter

I enjoy the cloudy days, the crisp and cold air, and the clear nights.

I purposely moved back to snow belt area a couple of years ago because I missed having real winters. I absolutely love the snow I love to ski, snowmobile, ice skate, and photograph winter scenery. There's few things more beautiful than a snow-covered landscape to me. Lake effect snow is the best

I like the colors typically associated with winter.

It's probably just easier to ask me what I don't like about winter, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
What do you REALLY like about WINTER?

That Spring weather is around the corner.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Less crime.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,406 times
I love the beauty of the stark landscape, the stars at night, watching the red cardinals feed at the birdfeeder with a background of snow, the SMELL of clean air, the coziness of the house when it is snowing outside, baking in a warm house while the wind blows, walking across newly fallen snow, the feeling of cold air in the lungs, and the QUIET. I also love cashmere neck scarves and I get to wear them in the winter!

Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,676 times
Snow. Hot chocolate. A roaring fire. Skiing. Cats becoming even more snuggly. Making a big pot of homemade soup on Subday. A big snowstorm that keeps me home from work.

We like winter better now that we rent a condo and don't have to shovel.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I posted a thread about fall, so let's try for winter....

I DON'T like winter, at all, and cannot wait til fully retired in the south.

BUT, THAT SAID, I admit the first real snowfall of 3" or so DOES look "pretty", like a Christmas card scene. I actually don't mind snow up until Christmas, but then you can have it...that is as long as we don't get a blizzard or Nor'easter.

Also winter makes my arthritic bones Ache straight to the core. My degenerative disc disease doesn't like cold either. Once it's cold, I can acclimate temp wise, but I cannot tolerate the machines.

Why do I stay? Well until my 89 yr old FIL passes, we are still here to care and look after him. Once he's gone, and or my 83 year old father passes, we are kind of locked in to the N.Y. climate.

My OH has pagets bone disease, and the cold makes my OH ache too.
We both suffer.

So, WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT WINTER?

The only thing I like about winter is that it comes to an end at some point in time.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I love everything about winter

I enjoy the cloudy days, the crisp and cold air, and the clear nights.

I purposely moved back to snow belt area a couple of years ago because I missed having real winters. I absolutely love the snow I love to ski, snowmobile, ice skate, and photograph winter scenery. There's few things more beautiful than a snow-covered landscape to me. Lake effect snow is the best

I like the colors typically associated with winter.

It's probably just easier to ask me what I don't like about winter, lol.
Me too. Just now moving back into the snow belt for the same reasons, but I have to admit my love of it is limited somewhat to snow. I am not terribly fond of rain during the cold season, but it is great in the spring/summer months.

I love beautiful snowy landscapes; I love being out with a snowblower carving my driveway out of a foot or two of snow. I love the exercise that comes with winter. I love the sleep that comes after a day of skiing/snowshoeing.

The locale here is ready for winter, and a 24" dump is cleared up overnight, so driving is easy. Even when it is snowing, driving a good 4x4 makes roads a piece of cake, but now that I won't have to drive to work in it, it will be even more fun. And I like that a long snow season makes sunny months all that much better.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
I LOVE winter, too!

I feel more cheerful, more awake, more aware, and more energetic in cold weather! (Hot weather makes me cranky and mean and despairing and miserable.)

I love hoarfrost on the trees, the silence of the woods, the sound of lake ice creaking and popping, and just the clean smell of the wintertime air. I love the smell of wood smoke. I love funny hats and mittens. I love being all cozy snuggling in a warm bed while outside the snow swirls and icy winds blow. As a kid I loved to skate and sled and build snowmen.

Now that I'm retired I even kind of like shoveling snow. It makes me feel strong. I do it when I want to do it, and only as much as I want to do at a time. I also have my own method of kicking the shovel rather than lifting it, which makes me feel smarter than everyone else!

Old 11-12-2017, 06:02 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
I have never liked the Winter. When I was younger it was more tolerable. I also did some activities such as cross country skiing. Now I hate it more than ever. There is a certain beauty about that first snow with all the white and quiet. Well the quiet only lasts until a bit after sunrise and then the plows and snow blowers start up.

The last two Winters we spent several weeks of the worst of Winter in Hawaii. That is not going to happen this year. Instead I am thinking of an RV trip to the Everglades and then an early Spring trip out to the desert Southwest. If I plan it right, I will only need to endure about 6 weeks of real Winter.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
I like that it eventually ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement