Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, no one gives away the secret for free. You offer a teaser and then...Order our Taking Charge of Your Feelings for the Holidays DVD set! Just $19.95! (plus shipping and handling). Call now and we'll include The Single Girl's Holiday Drinking Guide, which includes valuable tips like "Avoid the eggnog -- it adds pounds", "Never drunk dial your ex on Christmas Eve" and "Gin is the lonely girl's best friend." Free with your order!
LOL!

We use pot to get thru the holidays here in Colorado. Make your Christmas REALLY green with some of our finer products. And OUR DVD only costs $9.99 (plus postage and shipping). DM me with your bank account number and I'll be glad to send you more exciting info!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Silly "TV Pitch Posts"! All of you made me laugh. Thanks for the laughs! Silly.........LOL.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I'll be alone. I'm debating as to whether or not I want to walk a couple of blocks to Bob Evans for a turkey dinner. In any case, I'll just be hanging around the house with the cat.

Just another day for me. But there are others in which I am not alone so it really all balances out.
If you are hanging out with your cat, you are not really alone. Cats are better company than most people anyway.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
For those who think of volunteering in, say, a homeless shelter or some place similar on a holiday, I've heard that such places are way over-staffed with volunteers on holidays. What they really need is volunteers the other 364 days of the year!

I'd suggest finding a volunteer slot somewhere that has to operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and relieving someone else of the need to be there. I am planning on the animal shelter in my new place next year. When I was thinking of this, and how I'd likely need some sort of orientation so they'd know and trust me, they posted a job availability, so I started thinking about applying for a job there in retirement, and working all the holidays and stuff. I'd get something to do, someone else could be home who wanted to be home, and likely someone would give me food. Win all around!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you are hanging out with your cat, you are not really alone. Cats are better company than most people anyway.
Good point!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Growing up, every holiday devolved into huge fights between my mom and dad so I learned to loathe holidays. When I was married we would either spend a holiday alone (us and the 2 kids) or invite my in-laws to come down. This was usually for Thanksgiving. During the varying stages of our 27 years together, we'd either go to my ex's aunt's or in later years at my ex's family's. My FIL remarried into this loud boisterous Italian family where it wouldn't be a holiday without some drama. Being an introvert, these get-togethers are generally excruciating, even if I like the people I'm with. I find holidays generally boring and uncomfortable--too many people, can't get a word in edgewise--PLUS I stuff myself like a pig, drink too much and then feel miserable for days afterward.

Several years ago when my parents were still alive, me and the girls headed out on Thanksgiving Day to visit my dad in upstate NY. We never made it to the CT/MA line--my minivan started to act up. I tried to drive it to my mechanic but we never made it. I called the hubs to come pick us up (he had to work the day after Thanksgiving so he stayed home) While we were wait for AAA to give me a tow, we went grocery shopping for all the fixins', and by the time we got back to my car the tow truck arrived. So we wound up having this impromptu Thanksgiving celebration at home--just the 4 of us--which is one of my fondest memories.

This year Kid#1 (who is currently living with me) will be spending Thanksgiving in Dallas with her dad. Kid #2 will be stuck at Vandenberg AFB. I will be totally alone and I am looking forward to it! I'm thinking of taking myself out to dinner but I'll be just as happy staying home. I avoid travelling during the holidays because traffic is such a nightmare so the week after Thanksgiving I'll be off to WNY to visit my aunt. And the REAL holiday will be in January when I go to FL for a week!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Once my son went on the road driving a truck, I was alone all the time. I would go to my moms and we would have pizza or tacos. No big deal. After she passed, I would get dressed nicely and go to a movie. I would do this on Christmas Eve also.
Movie--good idea!!!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
We used to travel and do the family thing for both holidays, but thankfully those days have been over for quite a few years. We will bring in huge prepared turkey dinners this year and eat at our leisure. I love to catch the parade at 9am with coffee and puppy cuddling, then food, football, and naps in no particular order. Don't go out the next day either. No shopping for me. Just leftovers and more laziness. Wonderful to do nothing in particular. This is Thanksgiving.
Christmas is much the same with focus on food, old movies, enjoying music, decorations, and lights. We don't do gift exchanges. I enjoy a few cards to older friends who love them. Hope for a little snow. Love to ride around and see neighborhood lights. When my SO is gone it will be me and the dogs doing pretty much the same. I was alone for years, married late, expect to be alone again at some point. I like solitude and the company of animals and prefer that to being among most people. My SO excluded. And I have my buddies on CD!

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 11-14-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Other than Thanksgiving dinner, which I can drive to, I don't do larger holiday celebrations. I'm doing what I damn well please.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:04 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
we're far from relatives, so usually get together with friends.

I like getting together with others on holidays, and am always a little sad if it's just me and my husband.
It doesn't feel like Christmas without a crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement