Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think it's so sad that TV went digital. I could never get an antenna to work, even got the free ones, yatta yatta. The result is that most poor Americans can't get network TV anymore for free, including me.

Now, I just use Youtube and watch pre-recorded newscasts. I watch the previous day's recordings of PBS Newshour available for free on Youtube. But, of course, this means I am also paying for Internet.

Really bad, stupid decision by the FCC to basically hand over our ability to get free news to the cable companies. Scandalous.
I agree. Talk about complicating things. I'm lucky that I am in an area where a Digital Converter Box works well with an indoor antenna attached, but only have that in the bedroom, given the device for free when Analog reception was ending. (It is as many describe, regular networks, PBS and a few channels offering moldy-oldie shows and movies, if in the mood for that). It sometimes pixelates and need to adjust, have buildings interfering, but is mostly fine, just limited. But maybe that is what you are referring to having tried.

I still use Cable in the Livingroom (admittedly kind of hooked on certain shows or networks). I know the price of cable will increase, having a discount for now and would like an option ultimately, but some solutions seem even more complicated, needing to purchase more services, more gadgets. I also like being able to record with the cable-provided DVR, and those are not available to purchase I hear, as once-available TiVo units were. Geez.. things used to be simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
There's no cable on my street.
I have an Antennacraft HBU33 antenna. It seems to be no longer available but, it's an example of a real TV antenna. It's mounted about 24 ft high on a mast on an out building. A 30 year old Winegard amplifier boosts the signal for the 100 ft cable run into the house. I'm about 36 miles from the transmitters.

Among the dozens of antenna channels received are CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, & 3 PBS channels.
A quick run through I counted 43 channels and sub channels.

I also have a dish satellite box.
OTA HD picture quality is slightly better than satellite HD and OTA is less likely to be interrupted by weather.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
So, then, Sling won't throttle if the band is too narrow, like Pluto TV will?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'm streaming Sling TV, Netflix, and Amazon Video in HD just fine on a Roku 2 with a 10-12 Mbps connection over Wi-Fi through Comcast. Unless you're going to be streaming 4k content or on multiple devices, my experience is you don't need 100 Mbps.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
About 40 miles, direct line of sight, hilltop to hilltop except for one intervening house with aluminum siding and a microwave.
We have a Wingard with highest gain/distance capability. All the stations are on the same hilltop and they are fraction of a degree apart to us. We don't have need for a rotator although I installed one 30 years ago for minor adjustments after high winds.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Seems like a strange topic for the retirement forum but I have noticed my willingness/ability/interest in adopting new technology has decreased over the past two decades. I am guessing others here may feel the same.

Anyone here use such an antenna?
How far are you located from the broadcast towers?
Are they as easy to set-up as the advertisements indicate?

We are looking to cut our cable and get TV via an over-the-air antenna if possible. We are 50 miles from the broadcast towers. I plan on placing it on a mast attached to the chimney and installing a rotator too.

One option:

Lava HD2605 | Lava 2605 | Lava Antenna HD2605 | HD2605 Antenna

Per the video it includes an on-screen channel and schedule display very similar to that the cable company provides.

Too good to be true?

I built this one, for just a few dollars. I used much heavier copper wires than it describes and it's very durable. I have it on a high stool, just inside my big picture window and it picks up all the local stations, even though they come from two different directions.

Watch Television For Free - DIY Digital TV Antenna

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think it's so sad that TV went digital. I could never get an antenna to work, even got the free ones, yatta yatta. The result is that most poor Americans can't get network TV anymore for free, including me.

Now, I just use Youtube and watch pre-recorded newscasts. I watch the previous day's recordings of PBS Newshour available for free on Youtube. But, of course, this means I am also paying for Internet.

Really bad, stupid decision by the FCC to basically hand over our ability to get free news to the cable companies. Scandalous.
Have you ever tried an outdoor antenna? Indoor antennas only netted me a handful of stations. I put one up outside above my roofline, along with an amplifier, and get 40+ now. I could get even more if I had a mast rotator, but I don't want to bother with it.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Have you ever tried an outdoor antenna? Indoor antennas only netted me a handful of stations. I put one up outside above my roofline, along with an amplifier, and get 40+ now. I could get even more if I had a mast rotator, but I don't want to bother with it.
I've also found that tuner quality can make a material difference. I had trouble when I relied on the built-in tuner of one TV, but with my free digital converter box I was able to get several channels even before connecting a real antenna (I suppose the coaxial cable in the wall was sufficient).

Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
For outdoor antennas be sure to use coaxial cable, not the flat wire, the difference amazed me.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
I'll also plug this HW-150 DVR: https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW.../dp/B00I2ZBD1U

With an antenna, you won't automatically have any fancy on-demand or built-in-recording features, like with a cable/satellite subscription. But this DVR will allow you to record shows with approximately the same functionality as a 1980s VCR, as well as pause live shows. It costs $33 + the price of a USB memory stick. It's not as "smart" as a TiVO, but substantially cheaper.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Broadcast TV Stations in the Albuquerque area. I got the channels from https://titantv.com/ There are actually more stations. These are which I initially used.
KOB-DT1 NBC 4.1
KOB-DT2 THISTV 4.2
KOB-COMET COMET 4.3
KNME-DT PBS 5.1
NMKids V-ME 5.2
NMPBS FNX 5.3
KOAT-DT ABC 7.1
KOAT-DT3 JUSTNET 7.3
KNMD-DT1 WORLD 9.1
KNMD-DT2 CREATE 9.2
KRQE-DT CBS 13.1
KRQE-DT2 OX 13.2
KTEL-SD METV 15.1
KUPTMOV MOVIES! 16.1
KUPTH&I H&I 16.3
KWBQDT CW 19.1
KWBQ-DT2 GRIT 19.2
KWBQ-DT3 LAFF 19.3
KWBQ-DT4 ION 19.4
K21LC-D1 IND 21.1
KRWB-DT1 CW 21.1
KUPT-DT5 ACCUWTHR 29.5
KAZQ-DT IND 32.1
KTVS-LD LIGHTTV 36.1
KTVS-LD2 ALMAVIS 36.2
MeTV HD METV 39.1
KLUZ-DT3 HSN 41.3
KCHF-DT IND 43.1
KASY-DT MYNET 50.1
KASY-DT2 ESCAPE 50.2
KASY-DT3 GETTV 50.3
KASY-DT4 COZITV 50.4

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement