Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,538,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
It may be a piece of cake for you, but you don't get to be the decider of what's a piece of cake for someone else.

Driving the interstate may be nothing for you, but again, you don't get to be the decider of whether or not it's nothing for someone else.

And tailgaters just go around you? I wish they would, instead of hanging on two feet behind my rear bumper when I'm traveling the speed limit or greater in the "slow" lane.
I just drove two and a half days on the interstate where the speed limit was 75 or 80 mph for the most part. I was driving a Jeep Wrangler with 4.10 axles, so it's not a speed demon. Even driving 5 or 10 mph below the speed limit I never once had someone ride my tail. Traffic would simply go around me. And when I say "piece of cake", I'm talking about the average senior driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,450,815 times
I am 65 and I hate driving in peak hour in Sydney, as does almost everyone. I hate being driven by my husband as he is sure he is the only good driver in this city of nearly 6 million people and that everyone else is an idiot.
I avoid night driving as I have to have my cataracts done next year and the lights bother me.
I get the train whenever possible.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,554,605 times
No need or interest in driving long distances to see anybody. I hate the interstate and avoid it at all costs. Drive at night around here but no need or interest in driving at night mostly due to having collided with a deer once and that was enough. Mostly I like to be at home.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:49 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,269,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How is it for you?

I am not joining my family for Thanksgiving this year and a big reason is the stress around driving.
It would be stressful for me if I was driving the wrong kind of car like any 4 cylinder small car such as a Corolla.

To make night driving less stressful I suggest:

1)Get a big powerful car like a Dodge Charger Hemi. For a less sporty ride get a Chrysler 300C or a newer Impala or a Taurus. For freeway driving it makes a big difference.

2)Get the day/night auto-dimming rearview mirror option. This is my favorite option on a car and it makes a huge difference when driving at night.

3)Get HID lights. The HID lights on the Challenger I had made an amazing difference on a very dark road. They are much brighter than the weak halogen headlights found on most domestic model sedans.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:23 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,503,851 times
I was thinking last night on the news when seeing people in the airport, I never went to the holidays to my fathers 1500 miles away after 20.

He pretty much had his life and me mine. Been dead 27 years. Now I would go to FL or midwest state to visit, FL 2 weeks, midwest wher I lived a few days, Easter, summer holidays.

But not the holidays. Both of us had a low tolerance for holiday airports even before 9-11.

We plan road trips (very few) to miss as much traffic as possible.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,442,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I just drove two and a half days on the interstate where the speed limit was 75 or 80 mph for the most part. I was driving a Jeep Wrangler with 4.10 axles, so it's not a speed demon. Even driving 5 or 10 mph below the speed limit I never once had someone ride my tail. Traffic would simply go around me. And when I say "piece of cake", I'm talking about the average senior driver.
Erik, it sounds like you see driving as an aspect of your manhood or something. Other people don't. They don't care about driving. They also don't think driving 75 or 80 mph is impressive in any way. Again, it means nothing to some people. So, big whoop?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:11 AM

9,798 posts, read 7,611,368 times
I'm almost 60 and love to drive. I have a tiny compact car that fits me like a glove. Night or day, interstate or country roads, I don't mind it. We just drove 8 hours for a weekend family get together, then came home, dropping off my granddaughter in another state for a 14 hour drive. Went through Atlanta at 2 am with only a handful of cars in sight, that was fun.

I don't like being stuck in traffic and will try to time the road trips to avoid it, or take back roads. I'm an adventurer and have been known to jump off the interstate and just drive in the direction I'm trying to go. I love exploring this country.

I will be very disappointed if/when I'm unable to jump in the car and go.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,653,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm almost 60 and love to drive. I have a tiny compact car that fits me like a glove. Night or day, interstate or country roads, I don't mind it. We just drove 8 hours for a weekend family get together, then came home, dropping off my granddaughter in another state for a 14 hour drive. Went through Atlanta at 2 am with only a handful of cars in sight, that was fun.

I don't like being stuck in traffic and will try to time the road trips to avoid it, or take back roads. I'm an adventurer and have been known to jump off the interstate and just drive in the direction I'm trying to go. I love exploring this country.

I will be very disappointed if/when I'm unable to jump in the car and go.

With respect, being "almost 60" and part of a "we" on a trip makes a difference

I hope you will not be "very disappointed" in the future. Enjoy everything, and when you can no longer do what you enjoy now, find other pleasures. Perhaps your granddaughter will be picking you up for the trip

Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM

7,486 posts, read 10,451,575 times
I am 70 and on the road a great deal. I once owned a trucking business, and was on the road all the time. I pretty much drive between 4 states: Maine, RI, TN and NH.

I have noticed that I do not like the current crop of young drivers. Mind you, I am not a slow or erratic driver, nor do I look like Elmer Fudd behind the wheel. But it just seems that this newer generation of drivers is in too big of a hurry to get nowhere. They pass me with a great roar on city streets, only to come to a screeching stop at the next red light...while I coast slowly to a stop right behind them!

I'm fine on the interstates and major state roads. A lot of people do not know how to drive on snow and ice. They think it's just "full speed ahead" as per usual. I usually find them up ahead, after they've fishtailed into a guard rail and dented their shiny new cars.

I don't really have anywhere to go at night. So I rarely do.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,538,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Erik, it sounds like you see driving as an aspect of your manhood or something. Other people don't. They don't care about driving. They also don't think driving 75 or 80 mph is impressive in any way. Again, it means nothing to some people. So, big whoop?
No, to paraphrase Carly Fiorina, it's an activity, not an accomplishment. The vehicle needed to be repositioned, so I did it. It has nothing to do with one's manhood and I don't see how you were able to infer that. And the 75 to 80 mph was the speed limit, not the speed I was driving at. I was actually driving slower due to the type of vehicle and its axle ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement