Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

In my grunt days, we were in the field 90% of the time and rarely ate anything but C rations. Not very appetizing, but probably fluke-free.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 03:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
I have a cousin in FL who served with the Marines in Vietnam. He came home with a lot of problems (all emotional/mental, I believe). He and others had to be "deprogrammed" before being sent home. I have no idea what I am talking about..... never heard details. Had a problem with alcohol. He lost his wife and daughter both within less than a month of each other about 3 years ago. Have not talked to him since, his choice.

I watched that series by Ed Byrne on that war. It was sickening. Politicians who made all those decisions....... no words to describe the anger I feel for them. Gambled on the servicemen and women without a thought to their lives.

I just saw yesterday and today a north Korean soldier defected to south Korea. He was shot 5 times but lived. When he was going through surgery they found multiple huge worms inside of him. My god...... we do not know the half of what people live with.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
In my grunt days, we were in the field 90% of the time and rarely ate anything but C rations. Not very appetizing, but probably fluke-free.
Liver Flukes

Read this article--about a different type of liver fluke found in US vs Vietnam but it presents the idea that the eggs of liver flukes can be anywhere in our environment---are very common and people are exposed to them much more than they might think--likely NEVER think of liver flukes specifically really--
and likely that parasite is not something that doctors are going to test for when patients present with symptoms that might reflect other, more anticipated and common, diseases/conditions...

So while the VA article stated that it was usually raw or undercooked fish that was the medium for transmission, I think it is likely that it is possible to be infected from a variety of sources---

And obviously fish get liver flukes from being in contaminated waters...
So if PEOPLE are in contaminated waters then it stands to reason to me they could ingest the eggs w/o having to ingest the fish...
The fish is merely the more common/expected medium for transfer--

Old 11-24-2017, 09:29 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

I'm probably the only guy in history who actually liked C-rats .... all except for ham and lima beans, which were called ham and m***********s colloquially.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have a cousin in FL who served with the Marines in Vietnam. He came home with a lot of problems (all emotional/mental, I believe). He and others had to be "deprogrammed" before being sent home. I have no idea what I am talking about..... never heard details. Had a problem with alcohol. He lost his wife and daughter both within less than a month of each other about 3 years ago. Have not talked to him since, his choice.

I watched that series by Ed Byrne on that war. It was sickening. Politicians who made all those decisions....... no words to describe the anger I feel for them. Gambled on the servicemen and women without a thought to their lives.

I just saw yesterday and today a north Korean soldier defected to south Korea. He was shot 5 times but lived. When he was going through surgery they found multiple huge worms inside of him. My god...... we do not know the half of what people live with.
I think you mean Ken Burns, maker of many additional historic documentaries.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:38 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Liver Flukes

Read this article--about a different type of liver fluke found in US vs Vietnam but it presents the idea that the eggs of liver flukes can be anywhere in our environment---are very common and people are exposed to them much more than they might think--likely NEVER think of liver flukes specifically really--
and likely that parasite is not something that doctors are going to test for when patients present with symptoms that might reflect other, more anticipated and common, diseases/conditions...

So while the VA article stated that it was usually raw or undercooked fish that was the medium for transmission, I think it is likely that it is possible to be infected from a variety of sources---

And obviously fish get liver flukes from being in contaminated waters...
So if PEOPLE are in contaminated waters then it stands to reason to me they could ingest the eggs w/o having to ingest the fish...
The fish is merely the more common/expected medium for transfer--
My Mom died of bile duct cancer last year. These articles on the fish have made me wonder if she got it somewhere other than Vietnam. She and I traveled in Mexico and S. America. I also worked many years in remote 3rd World areas and wonder if I got exposed to this too.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
My Mom died of bile duct cancer last year. These articles on the fish have made me wonder if she got it somewhere other than Vietnam. She and I traveled in Mexico and S. America. I also worked many years in remote 3rd World areas and wonder if I got exposed to this too.
The idea is that people die from long term effects of this parasite because no one thinks we get it
So yeah--
I would want to know
And apparently liver flukes exist all over the world...

My DIL has had gastric problems for long time
Was on graduate study trip to Cuba about 8 or so years ago and got very ill on trip
Had to go to hospital
I wonder about her
Supposedly they have checked her for parasites but I wonder if test was for liver fluke contamination...
They don't like being questioned too much...

Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
I served as a combat medic with the First Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

95% of my time in country was spent in Đồng Nai, Bình Phước and Bình Dương provinces around Bien Hoa where agent orange was used a lot. You can see the map here. Of the 13 million gallons reportedly sprayed 3.4 million gallons were sprayed on these two provinces that might represent 6 or 7% of the entire country in terms of area.

I do remember everything was brown and dead.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and doing all the research I can I am the first one from any part of the family tree to come down with diabetes. I am the first and so far the only.

Of the few I served with that I have been in contact with 100% has Type 2 diabetes.

I am doing good with management. I watch what I eat, do not drink, don't smoke and most of the time my A1c is between 6.0 and 6.8. Had it checked 6 months ago and it was 6.0 so I sort of loosened up a but and when I get checked in two weeks I think the doctor will yell at me. It's hard, especially the holidays.

I exercise regularly at Anytime Fitness and exercise alone can go a long way.

I go to my family doctor and I go to the VA clinic and hospital that I must say do an excellent job in constantly checking me out. Little tingle in my feet but no major issues but I do get leg cramps that well... send me to the moon sometimes. My fingers tingle too sometimes. I have blood in my urine, can't see it but tests say it is there, and the testing I have gone through is unbelievable. This includes cameras where man should never go (I was knocked out), a couple RMI's and the jelly on the belly thing. I am a veteran that believes my VA care has been 100% good.

I do get VA Compensation of 50% which is $937.41 tax for the rest of my life so for me Vietnam will never end. For the record I know it is there but I do not factor it into my wife's retirement in the event I die first because that check ends when I die.

Physically I have to take care of myself. Always checking my feet and at 69 so far no problems.

I am fortunate, very fortunate, because there are a whole lot worse things than diabetes that can come from Agent Orange such as all kinds of cancers.

If you know of a Vietnam veteran that has diabetes tell him to go to meet with the Disabled American Veterans who will assist in handling the paper work. I applied in September and got my first check before the end of December. The DAV will speed things up.

But yeah, you are still paying for Vietnam.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:37 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'm probably the only guy in history who actually liked C-rats .... all except for ham and lima beans, which were called ham and m***********s colloquially.
I liked the Ham and Lima Beans. Oh yes I did and I think I was the only one who liked em because I could always trade.

Remember the pound cake and peaches? We'd fight for that.

During the time I was there we were getting C-Rations that had dates from the early 1950's.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I served as a combat medic with the First Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

95% of my time in country was spent in Đồng Nai, Bình Phước and Bình Dương provinces around Bien Hoa where agent orange was used a lot. You can see the map here. Of the 13 million gallons reportedly sprayed 3.4 million gallons were sprayed on these two provinces that might represent 6 or 7% of the entire country in terms of area.

I do remember everything was brown and dead.

Five years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and doing all the research I can I am the first one from any part of the family tree to come down with diabetes. I am the first and so far the only.

Of the few I served with that I have been in contact with 100% has Type 2 diabetes.

I am doing good with management. I watch what I eat, do not drink, don't smoke and most of the time my A1c is between 6.0 and 6.8. Had it checked 6 months ago and it was 6.0 so I sort of loosened up a but and when I get checked in two weeks I think the doctor will yell at me. It's hard, especially the holidays.

I exercise regularly at Anytime Fitness and exercise alone can go a long way.

I go to my family doctor and I go to the VA clinic and hospital that I must say do an excellent job in constantly checking me out. Little tingle in my feet but no major issues but I do get leg cramps that well... send me to the moon sometimes. My fingers tingle too sometimes. I have blood in my urine, can't see it but tests say it is there, and the testing I have gone through is unbelievable. This includes cameras where man should never go (I was knocked out), a couple RMI's and the jelly on the belly thing. I am a veteran that believes my VA care has been 100% good.

I do get VA Compensation of 50% which is $937.41 tax for the rest of my life so for me Vietnam will never end. For the record I know it is there but I do not factor it into my wife's retirement in the event I die first because that check ends when I die.

Physically I have to take care of myself. Always checking my feet and at 69 so far no problems.

I am fortunate, very fortunate, because there are a whole lot worse things than diabetes that can come from Agent Orange such as all kinds of cancers.

If you know of a Vietnam veteran that has diabetes tell him to go to meet with the Disabled American Veterans who will assist in handling the paper work. I applied in September and got my first check before the end of December. The DAV will speed things up.

But yeah, you are still paying for Vietnam.
There is also an extra compensation for those affected by Agent Orange. My other half started getting it when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is rated 100%. He has two purple hearts.

My BIL was also a combat medic. He also has diabetes attributed to Agent Orange. He is rated 100%. Are you going to try to up your rating? At 100% the spouse is eligible for survivor benefits.

Good luck to y'all.

P.S. - Our VA clinics are not bad at all. I am rated at 60% but just use my Tricare and see regular doctors. I figure this leaves space for those that really need it. My issues can be handled okay on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement