Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 08:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times

Advertisements

Did you research your environment?? Our water is abundant and pristine. Air clear. Even with filtering many cities have hormones- and other contaminants. How important is your tap water in retirement? Are you near any brown zones? Look at cancer rates in the Coastal Louisiana-Mississippi areas. Military installation Brest cancer rates. WATER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
What? Your environment is just as important before you retire as it is after you retire.

Life is hell, and then you die. Or not.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
What? Your environment is just as important before you retire as it is after you retire.

Life is hell, and then you die. Or not.
Very true.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
I have been using a water distiller for many years. If you could see what remains in the distiller after a cycle you would be concerned, very concerned.

It's tough trying to find a place that has good environmental conditions. Instead of trying to find the best simply try to find a place with the least pollutants. I don't think there is a best.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:40 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Here in Colorado Springs, our water and air are both clean. The water comes from the high country, e.g. runoff from Pikes Peak, and we get it before it has passed through multiple kidneys.

The air used to be dirtier before cars acquired fuel injection and catalytic converters. Back then, carburetors could not easily compensate for high altitudes; they ran way too rich. However, now the air is very clear.

It's important to have a clean environment. It's a good reason to move if you don't.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
How important is your tap water in retirement?
Before I retired, I didn't give a crap about the quality of my tap water. Whatever the city put in the water, or whatever contaminants they failed to get out of the water, didn't matter to me at all.

Ah, but once I retired, the quality of my tap water became extremely important to me. In fact, it was the number one thing I considered when deciding where to retire to. There is an extremely important difference between drinking tap water while you're still working, and drinking tap water once you have retired. In fact, I can't believe this issue isn't discussed more frequently in this forum.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Before I retired, I didn't give a crap about the quality of my tap water. Whatever the city put in the water, or whatever contaminants they failed to get out of the water, didn't matter to me at all.

Ah, but once I retired, the quality of my tap water became extremely important to me. In fact, it was the number one thing I considered when deciding where to retire to. There is an extremely important difference between drinking tap water while you're still working, and drinking tap water once you have retired. In fact, I can't believe this issue isn't discussed more frequently in this forum.

I had to read that twice and then think about the identity of the poster before I saw the humor in it. Well done. (I must be slow this morning).

Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
We use bottled purified water for all drinking and cooking . also have filters on faucets and shower which helps some. Water here is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement