Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Some people want to live next door to the Cleveland Clinic; some just want reasonable medical fairly close by and some don't care at all.

We chose the middle, a town of 35,000 with a very good regional medical system. 10 minutes from an oncologist for my wife's cancer followup and from a cardiologist for my aortic aneurysm. But country enough that we saw a beautiful young buck as we drove into town last week.

Some people would consider a 35,000 population as a tiny town and would never dream of living there and others would consider it as too large and congested. That is what is great; not everyone wants to live in the same place

But even if you live next to Cleveland Clinic, you will not be able to get coverage at that hospital unless 1) the hospital is with your insurance network or 2) you have adequate resources to cover your care, usually in advance of treatment. And if you are a Medicare or a Medicaid insurance, your chances of getting into a prestigious is minimal.

Also, the Cleveland Clinic network now consists of a large number of hospitals. I can speak from PERSONAL experience having utilized that network that not all of the physicians are all that great. I received far better treatment at a small community hospital in the Chicagoland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
But even if you live next to Cleveland Clinic, you will not be able to get coverage at that hospital unless 1) the hospital is with your insurance network.....
That's not necessarily true. Many plans allow you to go to any doctor or any hospital whether it is in network or not. If you go to a provider who is out-of-network, their reimbursement may be less and your out-of-pocket expense may be higher, but you could still go there and be covered by your policy. For example, instead of covering 85%-90% of expenses for an in-network provider, they may only cover 75% for out-of-network providers.

That's what I like best about my BCBS policy. I can go to any doctor and any hospital in the world and be covered. And virtually all world-class hospitals in the USA, for example, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Sloan Kettering, etc, are all in-network facilities under my policy.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You care to explain how an ambulance travels 17 miles in 6 (or even 8) minutes? For those of you who weren't math majors, an ambulance would have to average 170 miles per hour in order to travel 17 miles in 6 minutes. Even if we slowed the trip down to 8 minutes, the ambulance would still have to travel at 127 miles per hour.

I don't care how straight a shot it is, or whether there are any lights or other traffic, or even if you have Dale Earnhardt, Jr. driving, no ambulance is going to be traveling between 127mph and 170mph (LOL) in order to get you to a town 17 miles away in 6 - 8 minutes.

I took her post to mean that there were ambulances in HER town that could get to her in 6-8 minutes....

Could be wrong.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I believe some people would like to move INTO the Cleveland Clinic in retirement, such is their fear of aging, illness, and death. No matter how you try to defeat it, none of us are getting out of this alive... Might as well enjoy it while it lasts!

But we seem to be digressing; surely there are more reasons than "access to health care" to relocate.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I believe some people would like to move INTO the Cleveland Clinic in retirement, such is their fear of aging, illness, and death. No matter how you try to defeat it, none of us are getting out of this alive... Might as well enjoy it while it lasts!

But we seem to be digressing; surely there are more reasons than "access to health care" to relocate.

That's a really odd view.

I hardly think that is the sole reason when choosing a location, just one of many factors. Just read this thread.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM

What is "an odd view"? That some are obsessed with their health as they age? I don't think anyone could argue that some are.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What is "an odd view"? That some are obsessed with their health as they age? I don't think anyone could argue that some are.
Taking care of yourself isn't a negative. The tone of what you write seems qualify people going to the doctor as "obsessed".

We keep up with our doctors, exercise strenuously, and eat healthy. We are not obsessed, but enjoy being in good health so we can do all the things we want, for as long as possible.

Heck yes, I made sure there were a good selection of doctors and hospitals where I retire, but again, that was one part of many when we made our decision.

If I had the outlook of "when your time comes, it comes" I would have been dead in my 20s. I didn't have that outlook then, OR now.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:04 PM

In my opinion, which is all my (or anyone's) posts are, making "proximity to doctors and hospitals" one's number-one priority in retirement seems a bit excessive... But to each everyone's own. I'm simply interested in hearing if people relocate, where, and why, hopefully without this becoming a contentious debate about health care in later life instead.

Anyone else?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Some people would consider a 35,000 population as a tiny town and would never dream of living there and others would consider it as too large and congested. That is what is great; not everyone wants to live in the same place
35,000 people is huge. Plop it in Alaska and it's the second largest city. By the time you get to the fourth largest city in Alaska you're talking about a population that's under 9000 people. Which suits me just fine.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:20 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a really odd view.

I hardly think that is the sole reason when choosing a location, just one of many factors. Just read this thread.
Not really an odd view. otterhere is just expressing an opinion shared by some of us. There have been heated discussions on the Retirement subforum where some would not dream of living outside of a large metropolitan city with a world class medical facility. Living in an actual rural area (e.g., not 35 miles from Nashville) is considered akin to suicide. I can see their point if one has significant pre-existing conditions or a family history of a difficult to treat condition. Otherwise I think they are unnecessarily limiting their relocation choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement