Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times

Advertisements

Since i live in NJ - just about ANYplace i go will be cheaper lol - except maybe CA or NYC.

As long as my SS is not taxed, i'm happy. My pension is so low that i don't worry too much about that tax - if there is one. Also i am disabled so that "helps" a bit where taxes are concerned. I believe my state is one of the highest in both property taxes AND auto insurance. I have a car and drive, and i'm going to buy another house after i sell this one. So those two things do matter to me. I could move right over the bridge to Delaware and have no sales tax, but Delaware does not have the things i'm looking for. Northern DE has terrible traffic, and Southern DE where the shore is - is not my type of shore and beach living. Also still too hot and humid in the Summer.

I don't have kids so i don't have to worry about where they and/or grandkids will be, but i do hope my sisters will come visit me. One of them travels the world constantly - so she should be able to make trips up to my place.

If i'm not happy with my surroundings and the climate etc., how much i am or am not taxed won't make me more happy. Money - in my life - doesnt equal happiness. I don't have much of it anymore. Earlier in my life i had plenty, and was unhappy. Wish i had a bit more to make paying the bills less worry, but life can still be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 01:12 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
If i'm not happy with my surroundings and the climate etc., how much i am or am not taxed won't make me more happy. Money - in my life - doesnt equal happiness. I don't have much of it anymore. Earlier in my life i had plenty, and was unhappy. Wish i had a bit more to make paying the bills less worry, but life can still be good.
Same here - within limits - I'm still concerned about making my $$ stretch as far as possible. Money doesn't equal happiness but it reduces the number of worries.

Life is good even when you have to budget for a new pair of shoes, which used to be a minor purchase and is now a major investment.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:59 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
I don't have a huge retirement income but have accepted that it is what it is. I recently went bankrupt which took a huge burden off me. If I had not done it, I might be living in my unpaid for car.

It is a matter of coming to terms with your situation. At one time I hoped to travel, and wanted to relocate. But as I get older the thought of staying in motels turns me off. And relocation? The move is exhausting. My last one 6-1/2 years ago knocked me out for a month or two. And how would I really know if where I moved to was really where I wanted to be.

So I am choosing to stay positive. I can go to the grocery store and buy mostly what I want. And go out to eat now and then.

Life is good in many ways, and I now have peace of mind and heart.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:45 AM

174 posts, read 203,645 times
I'm 6-10 years from retiring but I'm looking for an area away from upstate NY without all the snow.My location is convenient now but not seeing myself here much longer.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Same here - within limits - I'm still concerned about making my $$ stretch as far as possible. Money doesn't equal happiness but it reduces the number of worries.
Yep, I agree. And I really do wish i had JUST a bit more each month. Mine is stretching very thin lol

Old 12-12-2017, 07:45 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Since I've never lived on a fixed income and have worked since age 16, I cannot handle calmly the thought of retiring in seven weeks. I continue to figure I'll get a job in my new town- at the animal shelter if I can, and something else if need be. After all these years working in the psychiatric field, I think I could handle a little customer service or patient scheduling or anything. At least no one will be yelling "F-- you, lady" because I can't make their doctor change their treatment. Or something. Whatever it was.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
My main concern is what kind of housing. If I could, I'd buy a condo in several different locations (don't want the upkeep of a house), but am terrified of even one HOA fee, much less two or more! Have also considered various forms of mobile housing: RVs, campers, converted vans, even tiny houses on wheels and and small houseboats, but there, too, are the monthly fees. I don't want to end up underwater...

Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Since I've never lived on a fixed income and have worked since age 16, I cannot handle calmly the thought of retiring in seven weeks. I continue to figure I'll get a job in my new town- at the animal shelter if I can, and something else if need be. After all these years working in the psychiatric field, I think I could handle a little customer service or patient scheduling or anything. At least no one will be yelling "F-- you, lady" because I can't make their doctor change their treatment. Or something. Whatever it was.
LOL don't be so sure about that BDlover, I worked in a bakery part time a few Christmas ago and a customer called me a black welfare "be atch". why you ask? we had run out of cherry pies and would not make her one. she evidently promised her little boy one.

Working with John q. public is rough. I have the greatest respect for those that do.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL don't be so sure about that BDlover...

Working with John q. public is rough. I have the greatest respect for those that do.
Well, I worked in food service and waitressed in four states. At least the patrons weren't psychotic or off their medications or manic and they were there to have a nice time, unlike my "patrons" at three in the morning at the psych hospital.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Well, I worked in food service and waitressed in four states. At least the patrons weren't psychotic or off their medications or manic and they were there to have a nice time, unlike my "patrons" at three in the morning at the psych hospital.
I dunno...in the WA town we lived for a few years, there were so many crazies out and about that not only the police and hospital personnel, but the downtown businesses participated in special training in how to deal with “special” people. Crazies shouting abuse at total strangers just walking in the street minding their own business (scaring patrons away from nearby shops), literally physically attacking some unsuspecting passersby, or hurling rocks and other hard objects at cars passing by. This doesn’t include “only” aggressive panhandling wherein a “No” response begets verbal abuse. The stuff I noted above involves people who don’t even look at or talk to the crazies.

One woman I saw walking all over town would stand in the middle of the road and scream swears at every car that skirted around her. She was well-known to all the bus drivers, one of whom told me a chilling story about how she morphed from making normal conversation with a visiting couple to shouting proclamations predicting their baby-to-be was from Satan blahblahblahblsh, and threatening to hurt them. The bus driver had to stop the bus and tell her to shut up or be kicked out.

But it is true that your hospital patrons were there mostly or exclusively because of their behavior, whereas in restaurants crazies are in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement