Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

We have not had cable or satellite for years, but have had an antenna and ROKU. We also added Netflix and Hulu for about $10 per month each. We recently discovered Sling TV. Have you all seen this? I LOVE it! I've cancelled Hulu and Netflix to save money, and since we don't really watch much on there, and signed up for Sling TV for about $20 a month. It has lots of live streaming channels like CNN and HGTV (two of my favorites) and other channels I like such as TCM and History channel among others. It even has ESPN, although neither DH or me are that interested in sports.

It's a "ala carte," and I think you may be able to add other channels if you want to. I am happy with the default ones that are already there.

Just wanted to share in case some of you are missing some of the more standard programming that you can get on cable. I thought it was a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM

99,542 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We have not had cable or satellite for years, but have had an antenna and ROKU. We also added Netflix and Hulu for about $10 per month each. We recently discovered Sling TV. Have you all seen this? I LOVE it! I've cancelled Hulu and Netflix to save money, and since we don't really watch much on there, and signed up for Sling TV for about $20 a month. It has lots of live streaming channels like CNN and HGTV (two of my favorites) and other channels I like such as TCM and History channel among others. It even has ESPN, although neither DH or me are that interested in sports.

It's a "ala carte," and I think you may be able to add other channels if you want to. I am happy with the default ones that are already there.

Just wanted to share in case some of you are missing some of the more standard programming that you can get on cable. I thought it was a great deal.
I've used Sling TV the past couple of years during the winter, primarily to access college basketball games on ESPN. I like the concept, but I get a lot of buffering and random shutdowns. This can be quite frustrating during a game. Hopefully these technical issues will improve over time.

I agree that the default lineup is good.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
We rarely use cable TV and only have basic cable TV, because with our internet bundle, it's like $5 a month for 30 channels. Have used a Roku box for 10 years-on our third one. Netflix for $9 a month. Amazon Prime for $99 a year, which includes free shipping on stuff you order

Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

Thank you for posting this. I have seen ads for Sling TV but have never looked into it. I believe I'll be looking into it soon. I like hearing about someone's real experience with it.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I've used Sling TV the past couple of years during the winter, primarily to access college basketball games on ESPN. I like the concept, but I get a lot of buffering and random shutdowns. This can be quite frustrating during a game. Hopefully these technical issues will improve over time.

I agree that the default lineup is good.
Those technical issue are NOT coming from Slings side. I suggest you get your internet connection checked.

What device are you using to watch Sling? If that device is on a wireless connection, perhaps trying it with a wired ethernet connection will help you trouble-shoot the issue. Or perhaps it needs a firmware upgrade or something.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Those technical issue are NOT coming from Slings side. I suggest you get your internet connection checked.

What device are you using to watch Sling? If that device is on a wireless connection, perhaps trying it with a wired ethernet connection will help you trouble-shoot the issue. Or perhaps it needs a firmware upgrade or something.
Really? Or maybe it's just better now than it was a few years ago? I had it when it first came out and was so frustrated with the buffering that I gave it up. Now I have a much better internet, so I might try it again. I have to do something because Amazon Fire is giving me problems and I think it's their box. The remote won't work at all anymore. I would love to cut out the cable from Cable One, which is now up to $130 a month (both tv and internet). Too expensive.

There are times I just want to throw the whole TV and cable cords out the window. I have spent way too much of my life trying to fix these connections. Right now I have Amazon Fire, Netflix and Cable One. That's too much in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Really? Or maybe it's just better now than it was a few years ago? I had it when it first came out and was so frustrated with the buffering that I gave it up. Now I have a much better internet, so I might try it again. I have to do something because Amazon Fire is giving me problems and I think it's their box. The remote won't work at all anymore. I would love to cut out the cable from Cable One, which is now up to $130 a month (both tv and internet). Too expensive.

There are times I just want to throw the whole TV and cable cords out the window. I have spent way too much of my life trying to fix these connections. Right now I have Amazon Fire, Netflix and Cable One. That's too much in my opinion.
There's another new choice to try out, but if you originally liked Sling, you might want to try it again. Anyway, this one is new, $16 a month: https://try.philo.com/

Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM

125 posts, read 159,046 times
settv, or vaderstreams, or terrarium tv, if you dont know what these are, look them up

Old 12-05-2017, 01:39 PM

125 posts, read 159,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc3zny View Post
settv, or vaderstreams, or terrarium tv, if you dont know what these are, look them up
or unclebuck on facebook

Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post

Yes, the buffering was mostly internet. Besides Sling, there is Sony Vue and Direct TV Now as well as some other options for streaming all using a Roku stick or other streaming device. For streaming the best internet is at least 25MB up, faster the better plus a good Wifi router. One thing to be careful of is that your internet provided doesn't limit you on data usage. I have had experience with Sony Vue and find it has improved over the last years.

ETA: Directv Now is the best option if you want locals without an antenna but only in some areas. You can compare packages and find out if locals are available here http://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/d...s-account.html

Last edited by NorthofHere; 12-05-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement