Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:32 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Work life soured over many years. Department head, who had a love of hating things, formed the crashing waves (not my immediate supervisor, who had to be the messenger). Being looked upon with negative judgement I took the stance of viewing the next 365 days as the job was an avocation rather than an occupation.
During this time the plan for life adjustment went into high gear. Difficult to inform no one remotely associated with my employer, my lips remained sealed. Took vacation and met my personal belongings 2,000 miles away. Date of return was eventful in that the phone call to HR informed them of my sudden and with no notice resignation.
For those who understood my action no explanation was needed. For those who didn't no explanation would suffice. It was an uncommon move, if you will, to usher in retirement.
I totally can relate to this. And needless to say I totally support the original poster in her actions.
I am still dealing with what had been a decent situation that has deteriorated miserably at work. As I might have posted in other threads, I turn 65 in August. I do not think I will be there then, so it's just a matter of getting things in order. The house will go on the market in a few months--- depending on when it sells, and timing of finding new acomodations (yes we are looking and if we see the right thing we will buy ) -- and depending on all the timing, I might schedule vacation and give notice. It all depends on the timing of things, but the bottom line is I truly don't feel like I owe any courtesy but I was raised and have all that stuff instilled in me so who knows. I also want to be sure to get COBRA for the interim or possibly fr the 18 months I can depending....
So I totally support leaving. It is just not worth it when it's such a negative thing to do every day.Bitter much? Well yes, I am sorry to say, I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I was just diagnosed early this year, so the endo is keeping an eye on my numbers until we stabilize it. I have nodules that she is monitoring as well. also had hypercalcemia, but that seems to have resolved by reducing calcium supplements. We started at every 3 months, now we are at every 4. When my insurance changes, I'll have to revisit all of it and see who's going to do this.
Sounds like they've got you covered, and hopefully once things are stable you'll be able to continue reducing visits and maybe just see your primary care, plus an endo once a year. Good health to you!

Generally speaking, as long as it's not thyroid cancer, thyroid issues are not a pre-existing condition that would exclude you from insurance. Once stable, they are inexpensive to treat.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
It is their payoff-the-rich, trickle down, tax bill that threatens SS and medicare. It will run up enormous deficits that might trigger automatic cuts to both.
And that is straight out of Marco Rubio's mouth. I suspect it will look like raising the retirement age - yet again.

At age 56, I'm afraid I will be impacted myself.

Frankly, I think I would rather be a bag lady than work at this job until age 62.

They just tripled the workload of their most senior employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
11 AM, Thursday, August 3, 2006, my supervisor came to my desk and, in response to my request to resolve a serious issue, said that the issue wasn't going to be resolved in my favor.

I looked up at her and said "OK, I'm retiring at the end of the month." Her face looked like a deer in the headlights. Then she walked away. I emailed her and her boss my notice and called HR to get my paperwork started.

I was two months short of my 60th birthday.

I was financially secure (or I wouldn't have done it, of course), my house and cars all paid for, no debts, had COBRA at low rates for 18 months then paid my own way. I started collecting SS at 62 and got Medicare at 65.

So, Jack, were you an adjuster?

Because that used to be a great job that paid decently with all the freedom in the world. A job that has morphed into something else entirely.

So, yeah, early retirement is possible. For you younger people reading this, if you want financial independence when you retire, whenever it is, start saving money now and keep saving it. Don't spend it on overpriced cars with long term loans, don't abuse credit, and don't buy houses that are beyond your means. You don't have to live like a monk. Just use a little common sense about money.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:18 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
I am turning in my notice tomorrow. I have been having dreams about deciding to keep on working. It's a big decision. I have been looking forward to this day, but now that it is here, it is tough. I'm nervous.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
I was just diagnosed early this year, so the endo is keeping an eye on my numbers until we stabilize it. I have nodules that she is monitoring as well. also had hypercalcemia, but that seems to have resolved by reducing calcium supplements. We started at every 3 months, now we are at every 4. When my insurance changes, I'll have to revisit all of it and see who's going to do this.
The hyperthyroidism sucks more (IMO) than hypothyroidism. It is more volatile (as a result, more swings of mood (your anger)), harder to find the right amount of meds, and then again it can become wrong a year later...; can have different underlying causes (like nodes), can flare up as Graves (god forbid)....

After some time with the endo, and if you don't see/feel results, how would you feel about a radical solution? Than renders you hypo, which is much easier and cheaper to maintain.

I am talking not about surgery (potential problems), but nuking the thyroid with one tablet. I don't think it should be expensive. Anyways, that's what I did. Happily hypo afterwards, for 8 years now.

PS: yes, since the stressful job was the reason of your autoimmune disease, it is a no-brainer to cut off the toxic job and concentrate on getting better.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
So I just sent an e-mail giving notice at my job.

I have been miserable at this job for at least the last six years. It is a very demanding, high stress job with tight deadlines and unreasonable demands. Yes, it pays well.

Suffice it to say that people have retired with a lot less put away than I have. I don't live extravagantly. I don't travel much (mostly because I'm exhausted from work, that may change). I don't eat at fancy restaurants.

I'm only 62, but I am a widow and so can get survivor benefits and let my Social Security continue to grow until 70.

I've already moved to a lower-cost area and I own my home outright (no mortgage).

The only potential fly in the ointment is that COBRA will only take me to age 64, and I have a pre-existing condition (thyroid). So depending on what happens with ACA, it may very well be that I will have to risk being uninsured for a year.

And with the GOP threatening big Social Security and Medicare cuts, it's probably better to get into the system sooner rather than later.

When did you know you had had enough? I haven't been able to focus well on work since my husband died four years ago. I have just run out of the ability to fake it.
Congratulations! I work for myself, so have never been able to quit a job, but I HAVE fired clients in the past and there is no better feeling in the world. I had this one lender client who would stiff me on fees and make unreasonable demands. I finally got sick of it and told him to call someone else. He was stunned. I was making about 20 grand a year off him, so it was a little scary. But in the end it was the right thing to do. If you don't stick up for yourself, no one else will. I'm curious though, does this mean that you MUST retire? Perhaps you could find a less stressful job with health benefits to carry you through the gap.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:40 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Quote:
So I just sent an e-mail giving notice at my job.

I have been miserable at this job for at least the last six years. It is a very demanding, high stress job with tight deadlines and unreasonable demands. Yes, it pays well.

Suffice it to say that people have retired with a lot less put away than I have. I don't live extravagantly. I don't travel much (mostly because I'm exhausted from work, that may change). I don't eat at fancy restaurants.

I'm only 62, but I am a widow and so can get survivor benefits and let my Social Security continue to grow until 70.

I've already moved to a lower-cost area and I own my home outright (no mortgage).

The only potential fly in the ointment is that COBRA will only take me to age 64, and I have a pre-existing condition (thyroid). So depending on what happens with ACA, it may very well be that I will have to risk being uninsured for a year.

And with the GOP threatening big Social Security and Medicare cuts, it's probably better to get into the system sooner rather than later.

When did you know you had had enough? I haven't been able to focus well on work since my husband died four years ago. I have just run out of the ability to fake it.

With losing your husband, it undoubtedly made the situation even worse. You need a break. Retire, enjoy getting to know yourself again, and find some enjoyable hobbies or do some of the things you have always wanted to do.

At some point, you may find you feel like going back to work, even part time, but let yourself have the luxury of just doing things for you for now. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Sounds like they've got you covered, and hopefully once things are stable you'll be able to continue reducing visits and maybe just see your primary care, plus an endo once a year. Good health to you!

Generally speaking, as long as it's not thyroid cancer, thyroid issues are not a pre-existing condition that would exclude you from insurance. Once stable, they are inexpensive to treat.
What an ins. co. may do, in the event of a less serious medical condition, is that they insure the person, but not for THAT condition. If it's really serious, they may reject the applicant altogether.

The ACA doesn't consider pre-existing conditions at all. I don't think COBRA does, either, but I'm not sure. I think COBRA doesn't because the person was already insured by that company, and has the right to continue it.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I'd imagine most people know this....
COBRA stands for the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (of 1985)
COBRA itself is not an insurance, an insurance policy, or an insurance company.
The law gives some employees the ability to continue health insurance coverage after leaving employment.

Basically you keep your same policy/same coverage you had -- you just have to pay the entire premium. Whatever your company paid for you -- YOU now pay the entire freight for the policy.

So therefore if pre-existing conditions weren't an issue before, they shouldn't be an issue later...because you're covered by the same policy and provisions you had -- nothing changed, except you're just paying the ENTIRE premium.

In my case, my employer offered a premium and a basic policy. And when employed I had the premium policy. Upon leaving I had the CHOICE to stay on the premium policy OR downgrade/change to the basic policy. Interesting enough, they did NOT give those on the basic policy the option to go from basic up to premium. That's what I was told anyway.)

And just FYI, that Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (of 1985) had a lot more stuff in it, but I think most people just know it for the health insurance part of it. But -- being an OMNIBUS bill/act -- it also dealt with tobacco price supports, railroads, private pension plans, emergency room treatment, disability insurance, the postal service, AND Title X, which amended the IRS code and the Public Health Service Act to deny income tax deductions to most employers for contributions to a group health plan unless the plan meets certain continuing coverage requirements.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
The hyperthyroidism sucks more (IMO) than hypothyroidism......
Nope. When you finally have to get up in the morning...beeping for half an hour, you are cold. Even in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement