Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 PM

48,363 posts, read 34,494,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We all have opinions, don't we....do you have opinions?
Not on people I don't know, and know nothing about there situation.

Take my sister, her house burnt to the ground. I helped with the inventory of her home for insurance purposes. They had a LOT of stuff. Why?

Because all family parties were at there house, so lots of cooking and entertaining stuff, and big kitchen with lots of furniture throughout.

They had a boat, with rafts, sound system, wake and skate boards etc. Because we all went camping every year (they had all the camping stuff).

My sisters hobbies were photography and horse so lots of the stuff associated with that.

They also road motorcycles, so all the stuff that goes with that.

Golf clubs, etc.

They had lots of stuff because they DO a lot of stuff.

My opinion on them and "all their stuff"? Fun!!!

Why in the world would there be anything wrong with having stuff, unless you are a hoarder or putting yourself in debt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM

8,218 posts, read 4,287,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If books are in a storage unit, it's unlikely you are spending much time reading them, so why spend almost $2500 per year to store them? A decade from now and you can't think of any better use for that $25,000?

Plus *someone* is going to have to go through your things eventually. I'd rather do it myself rather than make it be a burden for my son after I die.

And the reality is that most of us have way too much stuff. Sentimental value or not, we mostly have more than we need. Personally, I'd rather go through and keep things that are really truly meaningful to me and jettison the rest and a lot of what I have may have been kept out of habit or may have felt more valuable to me a decade or two ago, but no longer is, so going through a downsizing process helps me find the things that I value *today* not 20 years ago. Doing this as an ongoing process means that I can continue to donate, sell, gift or discard things that have lost their useful or sentimental value for me.
True, I don't read all of my books at once, but I go back and re-read some of them, and some I just want to have even if I won't read them ever again from cover to cover. They do feel valuable to me. I write down what I read at what time, and mark the passage of time by the stuff I have read. No, I can't think of any better use for those $25k over 10 years (I have other $ for other uses). After I die, public library people will just come with a truck, and take the books, some to keep, some to sell at $1 per book library sale - not complicated at all.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,217,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I wouldn’t consider 2900sf as downsizing
From 5000sf it is.
But I'm reluctant to call storing downsizing. Of course I downsized to 2 suitcases to move to Hawaii.
Stuff is stuff. Figure out what fits in your new place and list the rest on craigs or fb or have a yardsale (or a storage unit sale) There are surprisingly few offspring that want the "heirlooms" that parents imagine are so coveted. I think antiques are totally under appreciated. Might as well sell them to someone who wants them!

Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
Quote:
We all have opinions, don't we....do you have opinions?
I don't know about Mikala, but opinions about how other people spend their money? No, of course not. It's their money.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
We all have enough stuff after years of living on this earth and then it's a major job getting rid of it. Well we've grown the economy for decades. I guess too I'm a bleeding heart for so many who have nothing and live on the streets. Thank goodness for the charities that call me to request "stuff" donations.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,843,002 times
Quote:
We all have enough stuff after years of living on this earth and then it's a major job getting rid of it. Well we've grown the economy for decades.
And you're the arbiter of "enough", I suppose.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
Well, I'm not the arbiter, but how much does one need. We all can only wear one shirt at a time, wear one pair of pants, read one book....I also come from Science of Mind principles that tells us to circulate and create a vacuum so if we want something we have a little more room for whatever and we've circulate to others who can use our stuff.

One of the other lessons I learned in SOM, was attachments, how we attach and then have such a hard detaching.

I have a friend who keeps all her clothes from size 3 to todays XX size, her thinking is she might wear that size 3 again. Her husband passed away recently and she had a house full of his stuff to get rid of, she talked about it at our bridge groups, he had 25 cowboy hats.....they traveled world and had stuff all their house from everywhere they went...some just love to buy and buy and buy.

My sister and may she rest in peace and I love her but we were so different. She spent money as she loved to buy and her yard sales when they moved would bring them $3K sometimes. I was born right after the depression so I knew what living with less was and she came along 10 yrs later and she didn't experience that time so I think that's why we were different in many ways. Oh I'm going back in times. Enjoy...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-05-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 06:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,799,206 times
Quote:
We all can only wear one shirt at a time...
Someone forgot to tell this guy:

Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 12 days ago)

1,970 posts, read 3,304,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I've sold of stuff before moves before or general garage sales, I made anywhere from $500 to 1K each time. And it's not like it was super nice stuff or anything.
You're very lucky, and people in your area must be happy to part with their money! I cannot make $50 at a yard sale any more. For GOOD stuff!

I have a large, oak home bar that is in almost perfect condition - cost $1100 new - and i can't get $500 for it.

We are downsizing tremendously due to selling our house. And it feels GREAT. I am just disappointed in not being able to sell anything for any decent amount of money. Yes, i'm willing to donate etc. - but i also would have loved to make a bit, as we sure could use it.

When we move, we want to have as little to take as we can. Plus i had lots of things from my mother's house that i realized i really DIDN'T need. Not all of them. Depression glassware, antiques, etc. Well, nobody wants it. Took a lot of things to auction, but with the amount we took we probably made pennies on the dollar. At least it's gone - and it's very freeing.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 PM

48,363 posts, read 34,494,212 times
I think in part it is our location, and high cost of living....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement