Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM

1,542 posts, read 1,028,901 times

Advertisements

I enjoy my nightly mini bottle of Pinot Grigio (6 oz.). However I wake up anywhere between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning several times a week.

So will hold off on my nightly drink until the weekend and see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times
I decided not to drink because I don't like the way a lot of people behave when they drink, including people in my family. I don't like the smell of it, don't need the extra calories, and it is pretty expensive. I also do not need it to relax, have a good time, or for any other reason. I think a lot of people suffer in this world because of people losing control to alcohol - a lot of car accidents, domestic abuses, etc., where alcohol is a big factor.

I know there are people out there that can handle a few drinks and still be decent people and whatever they want to do is certainly their business and that's great. I'm happy for them. It's just been my experience to know a lot of people who aren't decent people when they drink, including several in denial about how much it affects them and those around them.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM

25,442 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
Has anyone else given up alcohol, just because?
Haven't really given it up. I have given up several other things.... salt, stuff like that.
I gave up beer. Just don't like the way it makes me feel.

I have developed a fondness for expensive blended Scotch, like Chivas Regal 18 and Johnny Walker Black Label. Can't really explain how I developed a fondness for it; I just like it. You know - rocks; splash of soda water.
I have never had more than 2 drinks at a time, though, so I think I'm alright.

(But it sure does make me run my mouth.)

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM

310 posts, read 445,294 times
I’d rather smoke cannabis than drink. No hangovers.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I have developed a fondness for expensive blended Scotch, like Chivas Regal 18 and Johnny Walker Black Label. Can't really explain how I developed a fondness for it; I just like it. You know - rocks; splash of soda water.
Listener2307, I really like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet, but I haven't had any in a really long time (in years)
Plus the price has gone WAY UP!
10 Essential Scotch Whiskies Everybody Should Have Tried

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 PM

890 posts, read 879,001 times
I have found the best way to control my blood pressure is with 2 drinks per day. Not more, not less. At age 66. Works better than any bp medicine I have tried.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times
I have one drink and I begin to urinate non stop. Otherwise I'd like a beer now and then.

MJ is a much better choice for me.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM

11,170 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think the point on drinking alone means that you obviously aren't drinking as part of a social situation - you are drinking to DRINK. Sure you can say you're savoring that craft beer or whisky or vintage wine Okay, that gets you ONE drink.

But if you aren't drinking to socialize and are having several drinks, the question is WHY do you want to drink...to forget, to cope, to calm down...? There aren't a lot of positive reasons - especially if you're doing it many or most nights of the week. And of course, don't you have any friends to go out with? Why not? Because of your drinking or other maladjusted behavior?

It's not that drinking alone CAUSES bad things but there can be a pretty strong correlation with other negative things going on in your life and alcohol rarely helps work that stuff out.
Rolling your eyes at the thought of someone actually enjoying the taste of beer, whisky, or wine? Seriously?? And what's with your admonition that people are only allowed one drink unless they're with someone? So if I'm home alone and I order a pizza to be delivered, I'm only allowed to drink one beer with it or I'm maladjusted?

GTFO

Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM

1,155 posts, read 958,645 times
One question I want to ask drinkers is, if beer/liquor/wine tasted exactly the same as it does now, but had the same effect on body/brain as drinking a glass of water, how many would still choose to drink it?

I guess I'm curious how many drinkers are seeking the psychoactive effect of alcohol when they drink? And how many are drinking purely for the taste? In other words, when drinkers say that they "enjoy" a drink, as many have done in this thread, are they talking about the intoxicating effect of alcohol or about the taste?

Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 AM

11,170 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
One question I want to ask drinkers is, if beer/liquor/wine tasted exactly the same as it does now, but had the same effect on body/brain as drinking a glass of water, how many would still choose to drink it?
Yes, I would still choose to drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I guess I'm curious how many drinkers are seeking the psychoactive effect of alcohol when they drink? And how many are drinking purely for the taste? In other words, when drinkers say that they "enjoy" a drink, as many have done in this thread, are they talking about the intoxicating effect of alcohol or about the taste?
I drink beer and liquor (mostly single malt scotch) for the taste and not the intoxicating effect. In fact, I would drink more if it didn't have an intoxicating effect and didn't have deleterious effects on various organs of the body if consumed in excessive amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement