Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I keep hearing about rich people. At 65 years old, what constitutes being rich?
Depends on where you live. Live in a big city and $500,000 saved, you aren't "rich". Live in the middle of nowhere in a state like PA or OH and you are pretty rich, so long as you are debt free. Location, location, location. It is amazing what you can live on in tiny towns in PA. You can buy a nice home for $30K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM

519 posts, read 582,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Depends on where you live. It is amazing what you can live on in tiny towns in PA. You can buy a nice home for $30K.
I don’t wish to be one of those "people" but I cannot imagine a "nice" home anywhere today in America for anything close to $30,000...

Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times
Well, I can imagine them and have seen them, but I always say “Too bad I would not want to live here” or something to that effect. But if I was not married, I would live in a more remote and less expensive location for sure.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post

I don’t wish to be one of those "people" but I cannot imagine a "nice" home anywhere today in America for anything close to $30,000...

Like someone else it all depends on where you live. We bought an old farm house with just under two acres for $55K. The house is a fixer upper we are 45 mins from Asheville, NC a place where many want to live. 20 mins from Lake Lure where Dirty Dancing was filmed. An Hr from Charlotte , NC and an Hr from Greenville, Sc. Three good sized cities to go to if you want too, two smaller town with enough shopping and restaurants and more to do then one would expect. This is a 1940's farm house 950Sf and it's more then enough for us. On the up side we plan to rent it and buy a tiny home to sit back behind this one on the bigger piece of land and use the money to pay it off. After it's paid off it's extra income for us.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No offense taken.

We could more than likely retire at age 65. I just don't think that retirement fits my lifestyle. I love what I do and have five weeks of vacation each year. I seldom use that time. My wife on the other hand will retire a lot earlier. For me to say I want to work till age 83 is a goal of having completed 50 years of service at the hospital where I work. We had a couple people hit the 50 years of service mark and I thought that was so cool. We have three more coming up on that length of service.

You never know. In 15 years I might not feel like that. We will be close to our goal in 15 years so maybe my wife talks me out of working. I will let everyone know.
Excellent post. I envy your enjoyment of work. My work situation has deteriorated in the last year (not just me, everyone feels that way) so I'm pretty much counting down to retirement and I'm in my late 40's. Fortunately I've saved like crazy and live simply so I'm going to skip on out of there in 7 years at MOST.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you have a good sized pension how do you consider that in your net worth? If it is worth 1M in the next 15 years, and you are young, that is a huge amount.
I asked the same question recently.

Upon further recollection, you have to consider it in two different schemes.

You need:

Retirement (I) = Income

and

Retirement (H) = What you leave to your family etc.

With regards to steady retirement income you would need to present value the pension based upon expected lifetime collection, plus any residual for spousal survivor benefit and any other twists.

Should be able to find a calculator on-line that does this for you. (I've seen several).

For example: a 50k pension where you are expected to live another 20 years on average is going to be worth roughly 750k in tersm of 'net worth". But this is meaningless as we really need to focus on income flows.

For example, if we both have 2mil in total assets and mine is cash under a bed and yours is stocks and whatnot...then every time I spend $1 it's coming out of capital while you might be generating 100k a year without touching the 2mil base.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Nothing rich about what I have and I've learned to live on what I have left. My generally good health makes me very rich. I had a tough year and hope I'll never see that again. Now to keep it that way. Prevention is what I work on.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-14-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
We are not big on leaving any behind.

At 50 we are looking at another 30 years (hopefully) with a pension over 50K, plus a reasonable chunk of 401(k), at least 3 other retirement checks, and SS. All of that disappears if we both pass, otherwise I take half the big pension, and still keep the others. When we move the equity will just about purchase the new home. So we figured if we die, equity to the kids, and I left my 401(k) to my sis.

Otherwise, we are just going to have fun!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
That's a little town that has NOT grown and this is probably true. We sold my folks family home in 2005 and got $60K, and I look on real estate sites and see it's appriaised at about $90K now.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If you plan to work to age 80 or 83....or switch it to 75 instead....

why would you need $3 million or $5 million for such a relatively short life span left to live?
Don't forget philanthropy. For example, We've funded 2 full-ride 4-year scholarships at our respective undergrad alma maters this year. In years past we've endowed professorships, and participated in major capital fundraising campaigns on campus (new science center, etc).

Then, of course, there have been funds donated to help fund a new wing at a local non-profit hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement