Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
The secret to downsizing is to upsize. Works way better.
Let me correct that for you: the secret to downsizing is to NEVER HAVE upsized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
On one of my radio stations, they have been talking about de-cluttering the last couple days and getting rid of more and more for the NEW "things" to come into your life from this holiday. They went on to say the average family has 300,000 items in their homes...where they got this number I have no clue...it sure can vary depending on family size.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:11 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Let me correct that for you: the secret to downsizing is to NEVER HAVE upsized.
We will be moving from a 3200 sq.ft home to a 4800 sq.ft home with 2500 sq.ft RV/shop building. We had wanted to get a smaller home between 2000-2500 sq. ft. However, in the last 3 years of searching, we had no lucks in finding such a home in the condition that we like (less than 20 years old, on acreage lot with views, less than 30 minutes to an airport, rowing place, within 1 hour drive to shopping/medical places).

Even though we are moving to much a bigger home, I am bound and determined to continue our downsizing effort: decluttering, getting rid of stuffs that we have not used for a year or so, no longer stockpiling foods, paper goods, cleaning supplies etc.

I will resist the temptation to join wholesale clubs and no longer buying anything in bulks!

I will keep the new house minimally furnished and only furnish a room if it will be used at least half a dozen times or more a year. This means we will keep the lower living level and most of the RV/shop building empty.

We may stay in the new home for 10 years or longer but I vow never to burden my daughter with having to clean out our home when we move.

My single sister who lives in CT had asked me to be the executor for her estate. I grudgingly agreed because I am her closest relative. We will move thousands of miles away but I hate to back out of my promise. She lives in a 3 BRs home with a basement. The house is around 1600 sq.ft but it is chocked full of stuffs up to the ceiling in the one unused BR, the basement and one of her two garages!

When she passes away, I will have to get her household stuffs auctioned off before a junk hauler comes in to take probably many dumpster loads to the landfill!

So, IMHO, the secret to downsizing is stopping to be a pack rat. One has to try continuously to get rid of stuffs that you rarely or no longer use and to buy minimum new stuffs only out of necessity.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:32 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
The trick to downsizing is to teach kids in Home Ec these lessons so they go through life informed already.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:43 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
The only real "trick" to downsizing I can think of is to get rid of stuff. If you haven't used it or looked at it in at least a year, you don't need it.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I know this has come up many times, but I did find 2 books in particular very helpful (and it's an ongoing process).
We have not yet downsized but will be doing so. For me it's also recognizing that ultimately stuff needs to be gone through and decisions made..
The 2 books are
Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer (this was great and talked a lot about the memories aspect which I find more difficult) very easy read and so helpful.

and, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The only real "trick" to downsizing I can think of is to get rid of stuff. If you haven't used it or looked at it in at least a year, you don't need it.
Yes, and get joy out of the knowledge that the items you give away (charity, neighbors) are being re-used and probably appreciated....maybe by someone who doesn't have the finances to buy it new.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:57 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
I started taking pics of things years ago and yes it works. Biggest trick is getting a smaller house then you have no choice but to downsize. I am currently selling off items or giving them away.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I've listed a boatload of professional clothing (all from Chico's) on ebay this weekend. OMGosh I have so much to get rid of, all barely worn.

Sold a 19 piece lot and have six more listings. PM for info if you want. This stuff's gotta go!

Blue jeans, shorts, flip flops and tee shirts from after I retire on Wednesday!!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Keep black suits, shoes, shirt belt for the funerals. Got my "go to" set for those occassions. Part of retirement and having older friends and acquaintances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement