Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Efficiency often add complexity... kind of an oxymoron...

I manager rentals... the old furnaces just keep working and working... change filters on schedule and check burners in the fall.

The more efficient 80+ units have draft inducers, pressure switches, logic circuits... etc... they do use less gas but paying service calls negates economy of operation... they also do not tend to last as long...

Just had a call this weekend... new parents with a 3 week old... the furnace stopped working... the part won't be in to Tuesday...

Some of the older homes have original 1920's furnaces and still work today just as they did 90 years ago...

On the same line... thermostats were never a problem... now they can be a headache for me because tenants often cannot master them or they won't or do not change the batteries...

Light Bulbs... LED Bulbs are great... I have embraced them but they are also prone to be stolen and tenants now balk at the cost... just like they do for some compact florescent bulbs...

No one ever complained when you could be a box of 8 60W bulbs for $2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Today my husband wasn't home. He normally turns the music on (a classical music station we stream from the iPad). I wanted to listen to it, but didn't know exactly how to do it---it was turning off the BlueTooth to get to the sound bar in the living room. I finally got it on, but it wasn't easy. I am determined to understand this stuff better. Things were so much easier back in the day when you just turned off a transistor radio! (Not that the sound was great and it's nothing short of a miracle to get music from NY or anywhere else.)
That's why I want a radio! Just a plain, old-fashioned radio! Something you don't need an advanced computer degree just to turn it on! I've tried telling my dh this, but he keeps getting gizmos, etc, that just succeed in making it even more difficult! I even got a radio from AARP---there, for old people! First thing DH did was connect it to all those other gizmos to "integrate". Arrrgh!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:01 PM

One of my tech friends and a wealthy one at that has automated everything...

He and his family prefer the rustic log cabin they built for a retreat... spring water, electricity, woodstove, wood heat... etc... not even a TV.... lots of books and outdoor things to do... like kayacking...

The kids would have to detox from the smart devices... but now they are ok with it...

Old 12-18-2017, 12:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's why I want a radio! Just a plain, old-fashioned radio! Something you don't need an advanced computer degree just to turn it on! I've tried telling my dh this, but he keeps getting gizmos, etc, that just succeed in making it even more difficult! I even got a radio from AARP---there, for old people! First thing DH did was connect it to all those other gizmos to "integrate". Arrrgh!
I unplugged TV and got rid of cable period.

I get ALL my news I need to know on Radio, have it on all day and further info from this computer box.

I don't need gizmos and glad I live alone and make every decision for myself by myself.

I was married ONE TIME to a computer science gizmo and can only imagine where that would have taken me for years with Frustration of more STUFF.

The Gods were taking care of me.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM

No flat screens in this house and never had cable or Satellite... just plain old rabbit ears on a 1980 Zenith... get over 50 channels and almost half are English!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I enjoy technology that serves me!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Today I decided to turn OFF the television set and turn ON the radio. What a treat.

I can't believe how much time I wasted with that TV on, not even really paying attention to it, just sat there getting nothing done.

The Christmas music is playing, some of the older tunes that I like. I so dislike the TV Christmas movies. I may actually get some housework done today.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No flat screens in this house and never had cable or Satellite... just plain old rabbit ears on a 1980 Zenith... get over 50 channels and almost half are English!
I went back and forth on getting an antenna etc for my 19" Hitachi but have never gone there YET. Maybe next year, maybe not. I have a small apt, small living room and can't imagine a large screen in my place...it would be like siting in a movie house in the front rows.

Just glad I have this desktop. Hearing about the horrible train derailment in Seattle area now, it's all over the radio and I'm sure on the net...

Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We have 3 TVs, 2 7" tablets, and 2 (maybe 3?) large tablets, I can watch tv in the closet if I want.

I just don't watch much TV, I prefer listening to podcasts and books. But variety is the spice of life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2017, 02:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - some things are stupidly difficult - small example - if an online form doesn't automatically fill in and you have to put in "state" - it's much faster to type in 2 letters than to have to scroll down and click on your state (you're lucky if you're an "A" state!). Dumber yet is that you have to put in your city AND zip. Your zip should suffice. But hey - programmers love "cool" more than KISS - users hate it.
This is a problem of user error. Without dedicated lists of state abbreviations people regularly make mistakes even entering states. When working with big data an extra 2 seconds for the user saves hours and hours of corrections from fixing user error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement