Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 10:58 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Is it just me, or has anyone else found difficulty in simply ANSWERING an Android smart phone incoming call?
My wife has an Android phone and answers it all the time without any problems. Hers is a Samsung Galaxy 8. It also works seamlessly with the Bluetooth in all three of our vehicles. I have an iPhone 7 and I don't have any problems either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Then an Apple phone is not the Android?
Apple is iOS. Most other phones are Android. There are or were a few with a Microsoft operating system. But almost every phone is either iOS (iPhone) or Android (numerous brands).

Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
T-Mobile, Sprint and ATT are particularly bad.
I almost never have no service/data with AT&T and when I do nobody else does, either. My partner has Verizon and in my experience I am more likely to have service than her.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Interesting about unlimited data. I thought everyone stopped doing that. I had TM ten years ago and found that anytime I strayed a few miles from the interstate outside of a major urban area I ended up on ATT network with no data. I really got tired of having no data while friends with ATT or Verizon had no issues. Maybe coverage has improved.
I had ATT for many years, until the T-Mobile unlimited pricing and seamless international service dragged me away. I notice no difference in data service with T-Mobile. Maybe their service has improved over the past decade? Or maybe my location is more favorable (Seattle area).

Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
I almost never have no service/data with AT&T and when I do nobody else does, either. My partner has Verizon and in my experience I am more likely to have service than her.
Depends entirely on where you are. On my part of the upper left west coast, ATT tends to do very well in large cities and not so hot in the smaller towns and rural areas in between.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Simple can also be pricey. How much do you pay for your phone service and data plan? I have 1000hrs for 100 bucks, no data plan. I use wifi wherever available but that is not always reliable. Still, I agree, I love my smart phone which I upgraded from a flip phone only a year ago and use it a lot for many things. It HAS made my life simpler but I don't use it as efficiently as you do. I can if I am willing to pay for more service but I like the plan I have. I have a GPS in my car which does the job. So I print my tickets :-)
I've got a legacy 1000 anytime minutes for $100 for the work phone with no data plan... it would last a year or so before my number was put into the company directory... so about $8 a month...

I'm thinking you might have the same?

Old 12-20-2017, 12:23 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Quote:
Agreed. Very few hacks are achieved by cracking a password. Most are achieved by exploiting holes or tricking you to give them the password (phishing). All this lowercase, uppercase, numbers, special characters and blood sacrifice nonsense just means you are going to write it down and/or use the same password for every site. And the sites that make you change the password periodically and you can't use a previous password make it even worse.

And then there are the sites that are non-critical that act like they are Ft. Knox. I understand the need for a secure password for bank accounts, credit cards, etc. where I can spend money. But things like stock quotes, forums, etc. don't need hypersecurity.
No kidding...I JUST went to the brokerage firm holding my mother's estate account. I typed in the password, it told me it was wrong. I re-typed the EXACT same password, and it let me in.
Here's my all time favorite though; you type in your password, they tell you it's wrong. You try a couple more times, they tell you NOW you have to change your password. I type in the EXACT same password I was trying to use, 'cuz obviously it's NOT my password, or so you say, and it says "You can't use a previous password". Didn't you just say this was NOT my password???

Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Define Frustrated, please.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:15 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
No kidding...I JUST went to the brokerage firm holding my mother's estate account. I typed in the password, it told me it was wrong. I re-typed the EXACT same password, and it let me in.
Here's my all time favorite though; you type in your password, they tell you it's wrong. You try a couple more times, they tell you NOW you have to change your password. I type in the EXACT same password I was trying to use, 'cuz obviously it's NOT my password, or so you say, and it says "You can't use a previous password". Didn't you just say this was NOT my password???
I am in the same boat as you. I manage my mother's retirement account. I had not checked her one account for a few months. Just money sitting in there collecting a small amount of interest. It showed no record of the account. This was not a huge amount of money but over 50k. I got no response from the online help desk. I was beginning to panic a little since her grandson is always on the PC playing games and heck knows what else he has done. Anyway, I finally got a hold of a person and they said since you have not logged into the account in three months it went dormant. I need to at least access the account or it no longer shows up. I am like.....WTF????

Old 12-20-2017, 01:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I find all the apps totally frustrating and don't use even one of them.

The ONE technology that I don't like is having to pay for your gas AT the pump, with a card and you can't even go in to pay with your card now at some gas stations. How stupid is that? I know it's supposed to be convenient, but I'm a dummy at the gas pumps and now it's even harder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement