Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,553,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Spent many years working with and coding computers. It's not the technology that bothers me, but, the apparent 'need' of IT administrators to insist on a wide variety of password parameters (Caps, special characters, etc). Ironically, one can hardly remember all of these ever-changing passwords, thus, must keep an accessible list of passwords nearby .... somewhat contradicting the point of digital security.
And the kicker to this is that studies show that length beats complexity for secure passwords. So it would be better to encourage users to use phase-phrases rather than pass-words and never mind all the cutesey requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 04:37 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,079,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
switch to an Apple MacBook laptop or a Mac desktop, and you'll NEVER ever go back to Windows......
My wife had an Apple. No thanks. It was way more expensive. A lot of my software is not available for Apple. I am interested in photography and photo printing. Apple has had serious issues with printer drivers. They actually just plain dropped support and did not provide drivers for some relatively new printers.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:00 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,147,708 times
so far managing to keep up with it all, but sometimes I think you need a ph.d just to switch the tv on lol

Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,474,267 times
I'm probably somewhere in the middle. Never was a techie type and only jumped onboard back in the late 90s when I saw how easy it was to research genealogy.

I love all the information I can get without leaving the house and I love being in touch with people online but I am resenting how much time it takes to fuss with all this stuff. Fussing with all of it isn't anything I enjoy. It's like driving a car--I like to drive but I don't give a hoot about how the car operates, or what I could do to fix it.

For instance, last week the Comcast guy came and did something with the network and now I can't get online with my smartphone. Need to find the time to make one of those looooong phone calls to Comcast. So it's mainly the time and trouble required to keep things going.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 PM

19,335 posts, read 9,418,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
At 79, I resisted a home computer until 2005, so I was 67. And to think I was married to a computer genius in the early 60's the days of the Univac computers.

I only want/need (now it's need) a computer for home and everything else out there I could care Zilch. I have long time friends who I would have so enjoyed emailing over the years and they are back East and some never got onboard.

Right now I'm dealing with a worn out on/off buttonon my Lenovo tower and only hope I can get it repaired and it won't cost me an arm and a leg. Waiting for a call back from a technician who knows a lot about these machines. A friend said there may be to turn on computer without the button but I don't know. It turns off when updates are done but overwise I keep it in sleep when I sleep.

No smart/dumb phones for this lady. My life is too simple at this point and I've been in the fastlane for many yrs. Retirement is just that. Love going at my pace.
We have a worn out button on our washing machine but I stuck one of those clear, rubbery bumpers over it and it has been a good fix. Not sure if that might work for you

Old 12-14-2017, 05:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,332,881 times
I’m good. I figured out how to use my Smartphone as I went along. I don’t know everything but I know what I need to know. If I need to know more, I’ll learn more. I love it. I just recently learned how to use ITunes and a Bluetooth speaker. My TV is 20 years old. I’ll learn to use a new one when it dies.

I’d love to get a tablet. I have a very basic desktop and ancient printer. They will be replaced someday. Can’t live without ‘em.

I like my gadgets as long as they behave themselves.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 PM

226 posts, read 296,605 times
I've managed to learn all I need to know in order to access the things I enjoy on the net, but I have yet to figure out how to hook up my tv, cable box, dvd player, sound bar and the grandkids Xbox game system so it all works right. Heck I don't even know which remote to use half the time. So I don't watch much tv anymore. I watch Netflix on my computer instead.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,834,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
It takes all of 10 seconds to download an app. And once you have the app you can make payments, check statements and everything else from your phone.
Uh-huh. And then you have one more app you have to manage and update. No thanks. I don't do apps. And I'm no technophobe, I just realize that companies want their app on your phone to promote customer engagement. Witness this blurb from Entrepreneur managzine:

If you are a small business owner and your business does not have a mobile app, you need to get one. Having a web presence alone is no longer sufficient, as online activity continues to shift to mobile. Simply put, smartphone apps have become too important a marketing tool for small business owners to do without.

Speaking of companies abusing technology in the name of customer engagement and making me hate them, I'm staying in a Hampton Inn currently. This Hampton has installed software that sends texts to their guests. Today they wanted me to rate them. I texted back, "Here's your rating: STOP TEXTING ME."

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,501,719 times
Recently had to replace my Chromebook, and the new models are just amazing compared to three years ago.

Thin & lightweight, outstanding 2400x1600 IPS screen, can fold into tablet or tent mode with touchscreen, and can run Anroid apps so can save movies for offline viewing on Netflix app, play all kinds of Android games, store books offline in Kindle app, etc.

Great stuff, ran a bit under $400.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,077,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - some things are stupidly difficult - small example - if an online form doesn't automatically fill in and you have to put in "state" - it's much faster to type in 2 letters than to have to scroll down and click on your state (you're lucky if you're an "A" state!). Dumber yet is that you have to put in your city AND zip. Your zip should suffice. But hey - programmers love "cool" more than KISS - users hate it.
Haven't seen a state list yet that doesn't jump to the first letter typed. I am in Texas. I enter T. It jumps to tennessee. I enter down arrow, and I'm at Texas. T and down-arrow is same number of keypresses as TX. It's hardly what I would call "stupidly difficult". What's your state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement