Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 07:00 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Since my phone does not do what everyone says it will (Connect to the computer and it shows up like another disk drive - No, it does not.) I use one of these. The toughest part is tracking down where the files are on the phone.

I insert a usb drive into it, then plug the small connector into the phone and it shows up as a USB drive in the listing. I copy the files I want to the USB, tell the phone to unmount it, then plug the USB into my computer, and copy files to it. Works like a champ. It's traveled to Europe and back and on many vacations here for the past three years and worked flawlessly. I also lets me transfer files from my SD card that is in the camera to the phone and vise versa. Works with our tablets as well.

The reason I like this one is that it takes a USB drive. A lot of them don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Adapte.../dp/B00CJIFJM0

RE: your computer not reading the phone. Check your cable and make sure it is a data transfer cable for that device.

I was having the same problem and spent a while with customer service and felt like an idiot when the verdict was the cord. We have so many around, I didn't realize they were different even when they have the same type of connector. But we have a device like that for when we travel!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
I used to be a software junkie. My perfect weekend was getting a new software like Corel Draw, getting the 4 inch think Bible version of the software, and going through it page by page all weekend while using the computer. I was the type of person who would be the manual that came with things from front to back.

When my husband died, I put the kibosh on changing anything, wouldn't even upgrade my MS Office. I KNEW the stuff I had, and didn't have the extra brain power for learning anything new. Heck, I even stopped reading books.

Over the last decade, that has changed, but never all the way back to my joy at full immersion into something. Which might be better, I was a little OCD.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I'm frustrated with the fact I cannot find a printer that can last more than a year before it completely stops working, or has wired connections. I absolutely hate how just about everything is wireless.
Research. There are plenty of threads on CD regarding what to buy for reliability.

I have an HP laser that is about 15 years old and works flawlessly.

I have a Brother multifunction laser that was a store demo and is about 5 years old. Also runs flawlessly.

Warning assumption ahead: If you are looking for the cheapest printer you can find to save money you are getting exactly what you pay for. Spend a little more once instead of a lot more multiple times.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Well, we're back with our new computer again. The tech guy said they installed the anti-virus program, after trying 4 days with problems. Ok. So we use it a couple hours, and a few minutes the next day and guess what, the anti-V uninstalled itself. Called the tech place and oh, they apologized, but what could they do, wanted us to take it all apart once again and bring it in. When I complained they gave us the remote people's phone number.

4 times we had to call them and they installed the program again and again... Finally the 4th time seems to be the ticket - so far. Crossing my fingers. Lost several hours to this nonsense this morning.

A big part of the problem is I'm busier than most people I know. If I need to get something done, I need to sit down and do it. There's not much time for trouble shooting and the long process of learning. I know at some time soon DH will come and say "send this off to so-and-so" and I haven't yet figured out how to do it.

After the holiday is over, it's on to tax season. After that's over I may have a little time to learn some of this.

Tonight, though, I'm a bit pleased. Looked at something on Google Maps, the street view, and it works so seamlessly with this W10. I was just limping around with the xp. Amazing.
I know the feeling - I trouble shoot all day at work. When I get home, I want stuff to JUST WORK FOR ME!

For example, when the Windows 10 upgrade came out, as usual, stuff got weird. Totally messed up my sound. I can google as well as anyone but after all the research and trying countless solutions, I'm still stuck with no sound, even though I did finally manage to get rid of the big red exclamation point showing an error - now THAT'S progress!

The latest thing? I love OneNote but my page clipper in Chrome stopped working. So I reinstalled the clipper app and it makes me log into Microsft - or I should say it asks me to. But when I click on it, the actual logon box never comes up, so I CAN'T login...so now no clipper. Again, countless google searches but nothing quite fits. I just want to RELAX at home...not handle stupid stuff like that.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:43 AM

8,284 posts, read 6,366,578 times
My printer quit because I hardly ever used it and I have no intention of buying another until they get a whole lot more reliable and cheaper to use than now.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I'm frustrated with the fact I cannot find a printer that can last more than a year before it completely stops working, or has wired connections. I absolutely hate how just about everything is wireless.
This is a recurring problem? Maybe some people are just cursed. I've never had a printer go bad. Never had a wireless problem. I have a Samsung b/w laser that I bought in 2002, used heavily first 5 years in a business, and still use it today for b/w prints because it's reasonably fast and very cheap prints.

I did have a problem with a HP color inkjet bought in 2008 where the cartridges would dry up and need to be cleaned or replaced if I didn't print for a few weeks.

My biggest problem is finding something to do with working printers when I buy a newer faster color printer. I hate throwing away a working device and nobody ever seems to need an older model so it gets stored until donated to SA or Goodwill.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My printer quit because I hardly ever used it and I have no intention of buying another until they get a whole lot more reliable and cheaper to use than now.
Printers are very cheap. It's the ink/toner that's expensive.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
My biggest problem is finding something to do with working printers when I buy a newer faster color printer. I hate throwing away a working device and nobody ever seems to need an older model so it gets stored until donated to SA or Goodwill.
We have a place that recycles electronics, but they charge you for it. So I just throw mine away.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:44 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I know the feeling - I trouble shoot all day at work. When I get home, I want stuff to JUST WORK FOR ME!
Which brings us to my pet peeve: the greatly accelerated upgrade cycle all the major tech companies have adopted. Do we really need a major new operating system update (as opposed to minor patches) every year? Or new "latest and greatest" phones/tablets every 6 months? I wouldn't care too much and would just keep using my older stuff until it breaks, but the manufacturers and software developers quickly stop supporting their older tech (especially the operating systems and apps), so eventually you're forced to upgrade just in order to keep using the same programs and apps you already have.

I'd far rather keep the stuff I currently have working longer (but of course the tech companies don't make as much money that way).

Old 12-21-2017, 03:29 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,292,621 times
I somewhat agree that you can Google a solution, but to find the key to your particular problem can be difficult in a sea of "assistance."

Many times while seeking a fix, it seems that 80% of the "help" is just more questions to the original poster.

• Have you tried this?
  • Have you tried that?
  • What is your OS level?
  • What is the phase of the moon and your dog's birthday?

Then you can eventually dig up about 15-16 "solutions" that worked for those users, but not when you attempt it, because as we all know, many errors can cause the same symptoms.

I have found fixes on Google, sometimes after many hours across days of research, but to suggest, "just do a Google search" is no magic fix-all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement