Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

It has been 5 months since I broke both my legs. I had balance issues before the fall but with diabetic neuropathy, Charcot foot, macular degeneration, and 2 hearing aids I can't feel my feet, see or hear so doc said I was lucky this fall hadn't occurred earlier.

Not sure if I will ever walk correctly again.

I fell and broke both my legs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I think the dumbest fall I've had was off a treadmill. I THOUGHT the machine was turned off as I stradled the sides, didn't check. I KNEW I hit the "OFF" button. Well, folks, it was still going. I stepped on it and went a$$ over teakettle. Like something off YouTube. Amazingly I didn't get hurt.

And one time I had gone to the mail center at my, at the time, apartment. It was on a little island with a curbing all around it in the middle of the parking lot. I got my mail, was looking at it and forgot about that curb. Splat, face down.
I wondered who that was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_jW6h9wnus

Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I have fallen 3 times this year, tripping over 1) a footstool, 2) a toolbox, and 3) missing the last step on the stairs. Each landing was on concrete--my knees took the brunt of it each time. I noticed that it wasn't too bad right off, but the swelling made it hurt a lot the next day and lasted for a week or more.

Now hubby and I are taking a senior yoga class to improve flexibility and balance.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Oh lordy my heart sinks when I see one of our seniors fall on the roller rink. One is in his 90's and went down a couple of months ago. He just got back up and skated away. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him for quite awhile now. I think our skaters have an advantage because skating requires good balance. Maybe you could think of taking up yoga chronic65? Any exercise keeps you strong and helps the healing process go faster. I agree that you should get checked out. It sounds like maybe there could be some muscle tears, but that assessment is better left to the professionals.

I fell ice skating backwards last Monday and I didn't feel it right away. My whole left side hit the wall. If I touch it, it's still a tad tender. It didn't stop me from roller skating on Friday and it won't stop me from ice skating tomorrow. I'm about 9 years younger then you, but we have people in their 80's that roller skate.

Get checked out and start an exercise program. A dear friend of mine was in his 90's when he left us. He lived alone, drove, had an active social life, and did 50 push ups and 50 sit ups every day.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It has been 5 months since I broke both my legs. I had balance issues before the fall but with diabetic neuropathy, Charcot foot, macular degeneration, and 2 hearing aids I can't feel my feet, see or hear so doc said I was lucky this fall hadn't occurred earlier.

Not sure if I will ever walk correctly again.

I fell and broke both my legs
Oh Man! Hang in there

Old 12-17-2017, 04:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Well, I am hoping that an ER visit is not called for. It is just odd, it seems, that as more time passed, I kind of felt worse and worse. I am dang sure going to try and be more careful in the future.
That is a sign of a concussion or possibly a bruised internal organ. I used to be an EMT at a ski resort where falling down is a natural part of the sport. I am not diagnosing you, but someone should. Depending on your insurance, see you PCP, a Health Center, or an ER.
"Do it now."

Old 12-17-2017, 04:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I hear you. I fell 3 times in a short period back in 2013. My legs just gave out. I didn't trip. See the doctor.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:48 PM

599 posts, read 276,720 times
The OP is so, ...well...me.

Recently turned Medicare eligible and still working in construction as I have all my adult life. I am confident in my ability to perform my job just as I always have. Never had a serious injury in my career. Until the past few years. Two could have been much worse, but I was lucky.

First was walking off a heavy gravel driveway with my head down watching where I was putting my feet. As I approached the paved road, I looked up just in time to walk square into the end of a bricklayers scaffold loaded on a trailer. Hit me flush over my left eye. The diameter was about 2 1/2", and it made a perfect circle around my eye. Cut, bruised and swollen (sucker knocked me for a loop!) I went to the ER. Luckily, no damage.
Second was a fall backwards into a trench about 4 feet deep while trying to get myself out - without a ladder. Sure --- I can do this . Muddied, bruised and embarrassed, I eventually went on my way.

Around the house, my wife has tried unsuccessfully to get me off ladders and the roof for various projects. Ha, I would scoff at her as I went about my tasks. Usually, she would be nearby - just in case. Recently, after cutting the grass, I decided to trim a couple low hanging branches from some trees. As I got the ladder I heard "and just what do you think you're doing?" coming from the deck. "Trimming" was my reply. It took all of about three minutes for me to climb, cut and fall off the ladder- from about 8 feet up. Talk about s l o w m o t i o n. Thought I'd never hit the ground. Anyway - after I pick myself up and the Mrs. determines all seems ok - she laughed and laughed..."Shoulda seen the look on your face" she exclaimed!! Gosh I love her

I have watched my 93 year old Dad continue to do odd jobs into his mid 80's. Growing older and accepting that I must adopt a new attitude about my activities is a hard lesson. Something about an old dog and new tricks? We'll see how that goes.

To the OP - thanks for sharing your story. When we were younger, we get up, dust off and never think twice about tripping in a hole. Sometimes we need that reminder that we aren't 20 or 30 or 50 anymore. I wish you well, and hope there is nothing that results from delayed treatment.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Luckily, I have "learned to fall" correctly. I used to land on my face every time but now I've trained myself to twist in midair and fall on the back of my shoulder. Which is handy, as I fall a lot, especially now that I'm in my 70's.

I still hurt for days afterwards but I haven't broken anything, thank goodness.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Now hubby and I are taking a senior yoga class to improve flexibility and balance.
such a wise decision - I take a couple of these and see 70-80+ yr olds demonstrating some very good strength and balance in those classes...they really seem to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement