Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:33 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Research is research, I don't see why someone has to meet an age requirement to report on a state's health care, health ratings, and tax situation.
I do not see this as an age requirement.

Retirees can migrate where ever they want, and they do. We can see these migratory patterns.

If you asked 10 different retirees about their priorities you might easily have 10 different lists of priorities.

A 20 year old lacks any references to look into the mind of a retiree to predict what a retiree's priorities will be.

20 year old journalists make these lists and what you are seeing is actual retirees explaining how these lists are not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you asked 10 different retirees about their priorities you might easily have 10 different lists of priorities.

A 20 year old lacks any references to look into the mind of a retiree to predict what a retiree's priorities will be.

20 year old journalists make these lists and what you are seeing is actual retirees explaining how these lists are not accurate.

Right, so even retiree's don't know what they want. /lol

A retiree could write the article and have the same people coming out saying the list sucks, and doesn't apply to them. There is NO list that will apply to everyone.

Take the info you need, and move on. What I see is actual retirees with complaining.

As a 50 year old retiree who lives in Hawaii, and what WE find important.... almost no list applies to us. That is not the fault of the information, OR the writer.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2017, 11:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
That surveys method is terrible. After being retired and living among retirees, I can tell you the biggest concerns for retirees.
1. Weather. Old people get cold easy, and cold weather also makes people with arthritus miserable.
2.Taxes.
3.Cost of living.
4.Crime rates.
5.Recreation
6.Access to health care.

Some of the factors listed here Ive never heard discussed. Most retirees dont care much for how obese people are. Ive never met one who wanted to take college courses. Never heard anyone talk about the health of the state govts finances or the economy in the state, or what the average per capita income of a states residents.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 AM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That surveys method is terrible. After being retired and living among retirees, I can tell you the biggest concerns for retirees.
1. Weather. Old people get cold easy, and cold weather also makes people with arthritus miserable.
2.Taxes.
3.Cost of living.
4.Crime rates.
5.Recreation
6.Access to health care.

Some of the factors listed here Ive never heard discussed. Most retirees dont care much for how obese people are. Ive never met one who wanted to take college courses. Never heard anyone talk about the health of the state govts finances or the economy in the state, or what the average per capita income of a states residents.
I can totally agree with that. Things some of these lists use as criteria is not important to me what so ever.
As far as a college town goes, it's a double edge sword. Yes there are usually more amenities and activities in a college town but the flip side to that is usually a higher crime rate, more noise, higher rents and cost of living.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
2.Taxes.
3.Cost of living.
4.Crime rates.
5.Recreation
6.Access to health care.

And I disagree.

I'm retired and have RA and the cold doesn't bother it, heat does (fatigue). So right off the bat your number one isn't even on my list.

See how hard it is?

I checked on the status of colleges when I researched our locale, the economy of the state IS important it affects infrastructure and other things that impact me, and I REALLY care about the per capita income of the AREA I am moving (but not the state).

Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
And I disagree.

I'm retired and have RA and the cold doesn't bother it, heat does (fatigue). So right off the bat your number one isn't even on my list.

See how hard it is?

I checked on the status of colleges when I researched our locale, the economy of the state IS important it affects infrastructure and other things that impact me, and I REALLY care about the per capita income of the AREA I am moving (but not the state).
This is why I really enjoy these discussions. I like seeing what other people see as a priority that I don't. Of course, there's no right or wrong, it's all about what we prefer or can afford.

BTW, the weather thing can work both ways. Some people want to avoid high heat and or humidity, others want to avoid long cold snowy winters. I'm somewhere in between.

Last edited by marino760; 12-21-2017 at 06:54 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

BTW, the weather thing can work both ways. Some people want to avoid high heat and or humidity, others want to avoid long cold snowy winters. I'm somewhere in between.
I think a lot depends where you spent the last 30 years too. We have been in the tropics, and I am tired of being a sweaty mess.

We DID choose somewhere with 4 distinct seasons, and I am unnaturally excited about that.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I think a lot depends where you spent the last 30 years too. We have been in the tropics, and I am tired of being a sweaty mess.

We DID choose somewhere with 4 distinct seasons, and I am unnaturally excited about that.
I spent the last 40 years in the desert south west. I'm so tired of brown. I'm so tired of going for months not seeing rain. I'm so tired of summer temps hovering between 98 and 110 almost every day.
I was born and spent most of my childhood in Conn. I miss the fall colors, want some snow in the winter and want to live where it rains and there are forests.
Conn is way too expensive for me and I don't want the long snowy winters but there are other places where I can get what I want and afford it.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 AM

Both DH and I are originally from NoCal, and no over keen to return there specifically.... we chose Carson City / Genoa. Going there this Jan. for 2nd visit. Brrrrrrr.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Both DH and I are originally from NoCal, and no over keen to return there specifically.... we chose Carson City / Genoa. Going there this Jan. for 2nd visit. Brrrrrrr.
Not to get OT but I lived in Reno for a while in my 20s and visited Carson City a few times. I'm certain it's grown quite a bit, but Carson City was beautiful as I remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement