Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:59 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times

Advertisements

I fly SW when it's the easiest, like non stop. I have never had an issue with a seat saver. But I'm usually in 'A' group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I choose not to fly on Southwest because of the way they seat. Getting through security is dehumanizing enough without lining up for SW’s cattle-style holding pens for seats. I prefer a seat assignment chosen ahead of time.
I'm with you all the way. Not only that, because we choose less costly seats we aren't allowed to sit together? "sorry, you get the leftovers. Should have paid more for the same 6hrs of discomfort sitting next to your husband"

Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If you want to sit together, purchase the very inexpensive upgrade to board with the "A" boarding group for each person flying so that you can board together, choose seats together and sit together.
Perhaps people have their own definition of "very inexpensive." IIRC, it was around $50 when we did the upgrade I described earlier, and honestly, paying $100 for both of us so my 10 year old didn't have to sit alone didn't feel "very inexpensive" to me.

In any case, given that as I described earlier, my son and I take a middle and a window seat and not in an exit row because he is too young, and I don't feel particularly bothered that someone might not have gotten the middle seat of their choice because of what we did. It's not like we were trying to score two "good" seats, just one window seat (the selection of which was paid for via the upgrade) in a standard row and the middle seat next to that window seat.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm with you all the way. Not only that, because we choose less costly seats we aren't allowed to sit together? "sorry, you get the leftovers. Should have paid more for the same 6hrs of discomfort sitting next to your husband"
Nope, that's not how it works. The seats cost the same. The discussion here is about paying to board earlier so you have more of a selection of seats, but the majority of the time, as long as you check in promptly, you get a high enough boarding number to get two seats next to each other. You might not get on early enough to get an exit row, and you might be further back on the plane. But unless you check in very late, it's usually not that difficult to get two seats next to each other.

The situation I was describing for myself was a time where I couldn't check in at the 24 hour mark so we got boarding numbers way at the end. Chances are I could have asked people to switch around so I didn't have to leave my child alone, but I would have felt badly asking someone to move from a window or aisle seat into a middle which is what would have been needed to accomplish that. So in that case, I was willing to pay a fee to accomplish that. However, all of the other times we've flown together, we've never had an issue getting seats next to each other.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:49 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,109 times
What is the fascination with the front of the plane? Is it more than getting off sooner?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
What is the fascination with the front of the plane? Is it more than getting off sooner?
I think for most people, it's getting off sooner, and it also means you've gotten on earlier when the plane is less full so there is room in the overhead compartment right above your seat rather than your carry on potentially being many rows away so you can't access it during flight and you may have to fight your way backwards to retrieve it before getting off the plane. Personally, I generally bring just one small bag on the plane that I put on the floor in front of my feet, and I leave the overheads for others, but for those who don't want to worry about having to pick up checked baggage, making sure you have convenient overhead space is important.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
Being up front is also better for making the next connection if your plane is late or for large airports where the next flight is in a different terminal. I always book for at least an hour between flights and 1 1/2 hours is better. But my government employer had rules that you had to be booked on the next flight so I often ended up with only 45 minutes or less between connections and that could be difficult at DFW or Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Airline travel is stressful enough. Why add to the stress with the uncertainty of where you're going find a seat. I would never fly an airline with unassigned seating
In exchange, Southwest relieves the stress that you may miss a flight or need to change the flight times/days without getting gouged $250 per ticket. Or the burden of coughing up $50 each way for 2 checked bags.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I love Southwest - free checked bags, no change fee, no cancellation fees, good availability of overhead space, and good fares. I have a free Companion Pass and SW guarantees a seat for my traveling companion.
I think the two bolded items are related. With free checked bags you don't have people trying to drag half their luggage onto the plane to save $25-50 each way. And it makes boarding faster. Southwest has some of the quickest turnarounds in the industry.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. On Southwest, the screaming infants board between "A" and "B". I had one grab the window seat 7F directly behind me last Thursday. Bose noise canceling ear buds and my iPhone music cranked up drowned out the worst of it.

As a road warrior business traveler, I like Southwest. You can book/change a flight on fairly short notice and throw $15.00 at it to get an aisle seat and early boarding to have a spot for your roll-aboard. They don't have a change fee. I also fly United a lot but don't have any elite FT status with them at the moment. On short notice, there often aren't any aisle seats unless you shell out money the bean counters won't let me expense for Economy Plus. They also have an outrageous change fee so you usually end up eating any ticket you book in advance at a discounted fare.
All of that. The only downside is the lack of nonstop on some routes that I need to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement