Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

I put it off because a) I was dealing with the whole moving thing & b) I procrastinate

Finally, after having two high counts on blood pressure, I knew I needed to see someone because I ran out of bp medication a few months ago. Also dealing with depression which I'd hoped to get away from in moving to a warm, sunny climate. It helped some, but not enough.

It was good but...first they'd set me up with a nurse practitioner & my new card, with the new part b insurance had a different name on it. Thankfully I'd arrived early, but it took almost an hour to get that straightened out so I wouldn't end up paying $60 for private pay. I just wanted my bp & depression medication.

The NP was/is wonderful. We totally hit it off & she was super.

What wasn't/isn't super is that this new insurance costs me $58 per month & my co-pay for prescriptions is almost nonexistent. Ended up costing me $59 & change for 3 prescriptions.

Yup, the clinic visit itself was only $5 co- pay, so if you aren't sick is great.

I received an increase of $122 with the col in January. I guess, by best estimates, with the change in insurance costs & co-pays, I see a minus, not a plus.

Makes me sad that our government feels this is okay.

It may have been part d. I don't know. Whichever one we have to get.

Last edited by meo92953; 02-09-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:02 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Ended up costing me $59 & change for 3 prescriptions.
That seems pretty reasonable - - - if not downright cheap - - - to me. I'd absolutely love it if my prescriptions averaged about twenty bucks each.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
meo: Did you check to see if AZ has state assistance with prescription costs?

I'm in NY state and the program here is EPIC which helps me a lot. I do pay for it, right now it is over $200/year. But prescription costs are low which relieves me a lot. I am not sure how you would look that up for your state. But if you can find something, it might be worth your while.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That seems pretty reasonable - - - if not downright cheap - - - to me. I'd absolutely love it if my prescriptions averaged about twenty bucks each.
My Minnesota copay was $9, so yeah, it was quite an Eye-opener.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
hope you can get some relief from your depression.

I've been having bouts of the blahs - as I call it. Our weather here has just been so gray and gloomy. Don't know but hope my mood will improve when the sun is out. Its not really cold, just yucky.

Hope you are doing good and the meds help you.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
hope you can get some relief from your depression.

I've been having bouts of the blahs - as I call it. Our weather here has just been so gray and gloomy. Don't know but hope my mood will improve when the sun is out. Its not really cold, just yucky.

Hope you are doing good and the meds help you.
Try vitamin d. I was really low last winter & it helped.

Yeah, depression stinks. Was so hopeful that being in the sun would help, & it does, to an extent. I hope the pills will help me pull out of it. I know what I am like when I'm not depressed & I want to be there again. But, it will take some time before they are effective.

I want to be that woman who took on a huge trip to begin a new life & did it without fear. It'll happen once again. I was just hoping it would be without pills, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Try vitamin d. I was really low last winter & it helped.

Yeah, depression stinks. Was so hopeful that being in the sun would help, & it does, to an extent. I hope the pills will help me pull out of it. I know what I am like when I'm not depressed & I want to be there again. But, it will take some time before they are effective.

I want to be that woman who took on a huge trip to begin a new life & did it without fear. It'll happen once again. I was just hoping it would be without pills, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.
I tried the Vitamin D and it really upset my stomach. Hopefully we will be done with this gloomy weather by next week.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 PM

42,849 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
I put it off because a) I was dealing with the whole moving thing & b) I procrastinate

Finally, after having two high counts on blood pressure, I knew I needed to see someone because I ran out of bp medication a few months ago. Also dealing with depression which I'd hoped to get away from in moving to a warm, sunny climate. It helped some, but not enough.

It was good but...first they'd set me up with a nurse practitioner & my new card, with the new part b insurance had a different name on it. Thankfully I'd arrived early, but it took almost an hour to get that straightened out so I wouldn't end up paying $60 for private pay. I just wanted my bp & depression medication.

What wasn't/isn't super is that this new insurance costs me $58 per month & my co-pay for prescriptions is almost nonexistent. Ended up costing me $59 & change for 3 prescriptions.

Yup, the clinic visit itself was only $5 co- pay, so if you aren't sick is great.

I received an increase of $122 with the col in January. I guess, by best estimates, with the change in insurance costs & co-pays, I see a minus, not a plus.

So this was with medicare? What kind of supplement do you have? My husband has a medicare advantage plan, no monthly premium except for part B and he has no copay for an annual physical and his prescriptions are $10 for 90 day supply (generics)

Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Arizona Assistance Program - State Rx Plans
Arizona Rx Card is a free statewide prescription assistance program designed to help the residents of Arizona afford their prescription medications. Arizona Rx Card launched November 2009 and is available to every resident of Arizona regardless of age or income. The program offers savings of up to 75% on prescription …

Extra Help With Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs
https://secure.ssa.gov/i1020/start

AHCCCS - Help with Paying Medicare Costs Only in Arizona
https://www.azahcccs.gov/Members/Get.../medicare.html

Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:

Those costs are chump change compared to what those of us having to fend for ourselves in the employer and private insurance markets have to deal with. Count your blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement