U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM

6,673 posts, read 1,388,129 times

Advertisements

I have been interested in debating politics and social issues since I was about ten years old, but I find myself just not caring as much since I've (mostly) retired.

It just seems to me that, politically, very little REALLY changes and my getting angry at whoever the current POTUS and political majority are (I'm a moderate, btw) serves absolutely no purpose. I am more and more convinced that our leaders do not care about anything but making the rich richer, and they do not care at all about making things better for the majority of U.S. citizens; and although I know that this has been the case for MANY decades, it just seems that this attitude is more open with every passing decade. So now I think that it is just a waste of my time and energy to become angry about politics and/or social issues.

Can anyone else relate to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 03:29 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,572,788 times
I guess the closer you are to death and the less "future" you think you'll have to put up with would lessen your political interest though having kids/grandkids might keep you involved.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:32 PM

71,905 posts, read 71,971,035 times
i gave up on politics after i got drafted in the 1970's .

no political party has ever changed my daily routine or outcome in 65 years except for getting drafted . i made everything happen good or bad in my life .

Old 12-21-2017, 03:32 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,970,497 times
I had given up on politics in my 40s, and didn't vote at all for about ten years. I did vote last year because I couldn't believe what was happening. If I had my druthers I'd probably just ignore it all, but the rest of my family has a keen interest so there's no practical way for me to avoid it.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
I still care but turned it off a few weeks ago. Trying to get into the Christmas spirit and switched to the Hallmark channel.

Plus the fact that I know several of our local politicians and even though they are "friends" - they scare me.

Now I know how we can get some strange people up at the national level. They gotta start somewhere. Not all of course.

But then with all these groping scandals - what the heck. And the antics at their offices -

Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM

71,905 posts, read 71,971,035 times
if i spend 5 minutes a year thinking about politics -i wasted 5 minutes of life .

Old 12-21-2017, 03:46 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,360,218 times
I found myself more interested in politics since retirement, and in the years leading up to it. But the past 2 years have been very upsetting. As an elder, I would like to see the 70- and 80-year-olds in congress retire. It is far past time for the next generation to take over -- whether that would be good or bad, I don't know, but at least some of the same talking points I have been hearing for 40 years might change to something else.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,970,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I still care but turned it off a few weeks ago. Trying to get into the Christmas spirit and switched to the Hallmark channel.
We recently took a long weekend trip by car, and decided to listen to one of the Holiday stations on XM Radio the entire time. It was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53
But then with all these groping scandals - what the heck. And the antics at their offices
Seems this will continue until science figures out how to propagate the species without using the Y chromosome.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I found myself more interested in politics since retirement, and in the years leading up to it. But the past 2 years have been very upsetting. As an elder, I would like to see the 70- and 80-year-olds in congress retire. It is far past time for the next generation to take over -- whether that would be good or bad, I don't know, but at least some of the same talking points I have been hearing for 40 years might change to something else.
yea I didn't know that Diane Feinstein was 84 years old!! She doesn't look it.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 668,165 times
I have had to turn off the news as it is so upsetting to me. I really worry about further borrowing over a trillion dollars (from China) and how this will affect the economy in the future. I feel we are in for major inflation, cuts in social services and a bigger discrepancy in income levels than we have now. I do not believe in trickle down economics.

I used to hope that education would help the poorer children climb out of poverty but that has only gotten worse. Now at the moment their healthcare (CHIP) is in jeopardy. College costs are ridiculous. My family has been lucky financially but I am sickened that our national politics are so mean-spirited and disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or