Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM

519 posts, read 580,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not at all . medicare is 65. however delaying from 65 to 70 leaves you unprotected and with out harmless provisions .
Is this true? I assume what you mean is if you don’t sign up for Medicare at 65 (irrespective of one's SS timing decision) you are exposed to increased Medicare premiums until you do enroll in Medicare...

Last edited by larsm; 12-28-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 01:11 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,537,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Is this true? I assume what you mean is if you don’t sign up for Medicare at 65 (irrespective of one's SS timing decision) you are exposed to increased Medicare premiums until you do enroll in Medicare...
Yes, there is a "Late Enrollment Penalty".

See https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...t-penalty.html for some details.

There are exceptions, such as if you continue working past 65 and have employer group health insurance (called "Creditable Coverage").

Also some info here:
https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...rt-A-and-B.pdf

Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM

9,312 posts, read 16,620,954 times
Many advise holding off collecting until 70 to get the maximum benefit. IMO too many family and friends have passed away before they were 70, even those who weren't dealing with health issues. We retired early and enjoyed life, traveling and doing everything on our bucket list. Health issues slowed me down when I reached 70 and spouse passed away suddenly after just turning 70. Friends waited and never reached 70 before passing away. Everyday is a gift...collect it NOW.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:05 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,648,892 times
We figured out the pros and cons for holding off on SS payments and found, combined with the RMDs we would have to eventually take, taxes would wipe out quite a bit of our extra gain.

I also am doubtful SS (or Medicare) will be in the same form in 20-25 years even for those already receiving it. We like having our own investments and savings and not have to be fearful of what actions any election might produce.

So we decided on a sweet spot, where we could live comfortably with SS easily paying the bills even considering inflation, but we could also maintain a comfortable portfolio. I have seen too many friends hold off, spend their own funds, and then die suddenly or within months. It is true that after 70 nasty health concerns can really pop up.

If there is a survivor issue of not having enough money, I can understand why people hold off. I received a nice inheritance so that also gave us another cushion. I am really not interested in squeezing every last penny out of SS - you have to evaluate your particular situation.

And yes, we are really, really glad we traveled in our 50s and now in our 60s. Even if you are in good shape, we find travel is more stressful now and almost feel relieved when we get home.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM

106,220 posts, read 108,214,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
no that is not what i mean .

you are confused .

if you are on medicare but delaying taking ss your increases in premiums are uncapped . medicare is user funded but those collecting a check can never be raised more than their cost of living raise . so the last 2 years those collecting got no increase . all the others not collecting have to cough up more money to fund medicare. anyone delaying ss got increased as they are not covered under the hold harmless law like those collecting.

so those on medicare and collecting ss are protected . those on medicare not collecting a check are un-protected .

Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM

519 posts, read 580,921 times
Quote:
no that is not what i mean .

you are confused .

if you are on medicare but delaying taking ss your increases in premiums are uncapped . medicare is user funded but those collecting a check can never be raised more than their cost of living raise . so the last 2 years those collecting got no increase . all the others not collecting have to cough up more money to fund medicare. anyone delaying ss got increased as they are not covered under the hold harmless law like those collecting.

so those on medicare and collecting ss are protected . those on medicare not collecting a check are un-protected .

Was not aware of the "hold harmless" clause. (Not yet at Medicare age for spouse or I.) Good to know. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,175,117 times
How much approximately is the increase if you’re not collecting SS yet? DH will start MC 2018 but not collect SS till FRA in 2019

Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM

well i got 134.00, i am at the new rate ... my wife who was collecting was at 104 the last 2 years and is now 129 .

Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 PM

148 posts, read 113,711 times
Quote:
something to think about which only just came up in another thread is this .

lets say husband is collecting and wife is not ,as well as wife is not fra yet .

if wife was collecting she would get her husbands spousal adder , added to her own benefit .

if hubby died , and wife wanted to wait until fra to start survivor , and file for her own benefit she would not get any spousal as part of her benefit since she was not collecting prior to his death .

that spousal in my wife's case was 4k a year so to not get that if i died because she was not collecting yet is a lot of money to be considered .

from what i can make out those collecting their benefit with a spousal adder will keep that benefit if they have it prior to death until they file for survivor . those not collecting yet will not get the spousal adder if they file for their own after death of the husband . .

if this is not correct please chime in but this is what i make out of it

Mathjak107, I’m familiar with the situation you describe. I believe that a widow who was under her widow’s FRA and receiving a spouse’s benefit under her deceased husband would have to make a choice between taking a reduced survivor’s benefit or giving up the spouse’s benefit and filing for the widow’s benefit later.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-4111.pdf

If the deceased person was receiving reduced Social Security retirement, the widow’s reduction is still calculated using the PIA, but the benefit amount couldn’t go higher than the deceased’s benefit or 82.5% of his PIA, whichever is larger. Thus, sometimes a widow of such a person can collect her maximum widow’s benefit a number of months prior to her widow’s FRA, because the benefit would stop increasing when it reached that 82.5% cap or the deceased person’s benefit amount.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html

Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 AM

yes , that is exactly it . i figured that out earlier . the spousal benefit always dies when the other spouse dies .

the question popped up in my head originally as to just what is my wife's benefit today because they show her benefit today as her benefit plus a spousal.

so naturally the question was ,if i die and she elects to let her benefit grow until 70 and take survivor to hold her over ,just what is her benefit that is growing .

but i did find the answer and it is only her portion less spousal that grows .

survivor is the better deal for her- period .

one thing i did find interesting that is not clear at all and i was surprised when we saw her spousal check was this :

my wife filed at 62 for an early benefit . although she was deemed filing for spousal at 62 there was none because i did not file yet , i was delaying.

well , by the time i filed she was fra already . naturally i expected her to get a reduced spousal benefit since she filed and was deemed filing for spousal at 62 .

but that is not what ss did . they actually calculated her as fra for purposes of spousal and she got no early filing reduction on the spousal adder portion , her own benefit naturally stayed at her reduced rate . but the spousal adder was a straight 1/2 mine with no additional early cut ..

typically spousal if both people filed early has a double reduction .

so for purposes of spousal the clock does not actually start ticking until you get a spousal benefit and although you are deemed filing for spousal when you take your benefit it does not count until you actually get that payment which is when i finally filed at 65.

the spousal calculator on the ss website is not geared for this scenario , so putting in the info gave us a benefit a few hundred less than it actually turns out she gets because they don't start the spousal clock yet until i filed ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-29-2017 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement