Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:13 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily more conservative, but can change the other way also.

It is unfortunate, but I think many older Americans (65+) get their viewpoints tuned by cable news, as many do not fact check what they are being fed via other sources like the internet.

I have been encouraging my parents, in their late 80's, to unplug from cable news, as I hear too many false things getting parroted they see on cable news.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
And to the "Left" is death of civilization.

It has brought the death of every civilization.
It has ever gotten in its grip.

Nazi Germany, USSR, N. Korea. Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Sweden, and France, just to name a few.

All felled by embracing the "Left"
Ok this one says it all.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:23 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
It saves me having to read pages of drivel from people
who rarely ever give me a whole sentence worth of
intelligent thought.
Quote:
Most of them just regurgitate Demoncrat talking points they either heard on Farcebook or from the LameStreamMedia.
Quote:
And to the "Left" is death of civilization.

It has brought the death of every civilization.
It has ever gotten in its grip.

Nazi Germany, USSR, N. Korea. Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Sweden, and France, just to name a few.

All felled by embracing the "Left"
What on earth? Is this guy for real?

Old 12-24-2017, 04:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
If you add this:
Quote:
Even easier. Ask them why they should be allowed to enter the Kingdom.

If they tell you what they have done, as did those
in Matt 7:22 they are on the wide path to destruction.

If they tell you it is because of the finished work Christ
did on the cross, imputed to us by Grace thru Faith,
they are on the narrow path.
. . . it kinda rounds out the package, doesn’t it?

Old 12-24-2017, 05:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Yep. I am for real. Been on forums like this for over 20 years
Traveled the world for the 20 years before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If you add this:
. . . it kinda rounds out the package, doesn’t it?
Glad to know you recognize a well rounded package when you see one

Old 12-24-2017, 06:22 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Not in my case. If anything, the exact opposite is true, even accounting for the generally leftward shift in social values (what I take "conservative" to mean in this context).

Growing up in a small deep south town, over an hour and a half awayr away from cities most of you likely have even heard of, you can imagine what my politics was like growing up there.

I was likely in the middle 50% of people in my age-peer group (early Gen X) during the mid 80s -- which by national standard easily put me in the most conservative 20% of all Americans, and very possibly 10% on certain issues.

Starting in the mid to late 80s, I moved slightly to the "left" (even then, I use that very loosely), and stayed that way until the mid to late 90s. By that time, I had definitely moved toward the center, and stayed that way even to the 2000 election. During that election, I honestly could not vote for either Bush or Gore. I was *that* centrist by national standards (which easily put me in the most liberal 1/3 by my old hometown's standards.

Finally, by 2002, I felt I'd moved further left, and admitted to myself that I was at least a soft liberal by national standards. So in 2004, in my late 30s, I voted Dem for the first time in my life. If anything, I've moved leftward ever since. I'm probably in the liberal-most quarter by national standards, and very possibly in the most liberal eight (i.e. borderline 'very liberal').

It has to do with personal experience more than age in and of itself, even if there is a strong age correlation with conservatism.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:46 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Phil, I think I have and continue to follow the same pattern. Part of my moving to the left is due to the beliefs of those who consider themselves to be conservative. I am all for preserving and conserving some basic American beliefs. Those include the idea of personal freedom and choice. Conservatives used to be interested in these values but that seems to have changed. They now want everyone to follow their beliefs which seem to follow evangelism, not freedom. "Conservatives" seem to want to prevent others from deciding on abortion, or non-Christian beliefs, or freedom of sexual orientation. They are big on banning books, literature, and movies. They even want to rewrite history and deny centuries of scientific study when those ideas do not mesh with their religious beliefs. Many want to end the separation of church and State and want religious leaders to be able to participate in the national political issues.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
From your experience and those you have known do you find that to be the case? Do you think all these young Social Justice Warriors that like to cry about everything will end up getting a lot more conservative when they reach their older years?
Theres little uglier than a young conservative ...
Or liberal.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Phil, I think I have and continue to follow the same pattern. Part of my moving to the left is due to the beliefs of those who consider themselves to be conservative. I am all for preserving and conserving some basic American beliefs. Those include the idea of personal freedom and choice. Conservatives used to be interested in these values but that seems to have changed. They now want everyone to follow their beliefs which seem to follow evangelism, not freedom. "Conservatives" seem to want to prevent others from deciding on abortion, or non-Christian beliefs, or freedom of sexual orientation. They are big on banning books, literature, and movies. They even want to rewrite history and deny centuries of scientific study when those ideas do not mesh with their religious beliefs. Many want to end the separation of church and State and want religious leaders to be able to participate in the national political issues.
Definately.
And blondes have 3.7% more fun.!

Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
First time hearing "modern liberalism".
They've used the same effect for conservatism... the party used to be about keeping the national debt in check, and not going to extremes with policy. Now, they're in the pockets of corporations, and instead of doing things for better outcome, they do things "in the name of god and religion", and refuse to budge on those moralities. My favorite has to be being against abortions, but then expecting individuals to raise kids on their own when they were willing to do the responsible thing and NOT bring the child into the world in the first place.
As to retirement... don't know. It seems folks tend to stick with their beliefs through retirement.

Quote:
I don't think it is us getting more conservative,
nearly as much as the younger generations losing touch with reality.

On the other hand, there is a serious impediment to being able to discuss this subject, as we don't know if we are discussing classic liberalism or modern liberalism, aka progressivism or post modernism.
The following poster illustrates this dilemma:

Those may have once been definitions of classic liberalism, and thus a serious impediment to our ability to understand each other.

Modern liberalism (aka, post modern or progressive) is closed minded, statist, intolerant, bigoted, and has no concept of laws, values, rights, or liberty. Most of the post modern "progressives" don't even know where are rights come from, and don't care.
That's not the liberals I chat with. They know the laws as defined by the Constitution. Some of them served in the military and contributed towards rights and freedoms. They don't want any president nor skirting laws to their whims. No one's saying you shouldn't be able to make a living, but many things appear to be at the expense of the common man. That's how it works in OTHER countries, but we have checks and balances in place.

Last edited by ackmondual; 12-24-2017 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: "a president" to "any president". Added part about lawmakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement