Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
At least go to a good hair stylist and have someone look over your wardrobe. My daughter chooses my clothes. I have no style. I color my hair and am a size 8 or 10, nothing anorexic. I would like to go to the gym more, but I have arthritis. Don't act "old" and complain about all of your ailments. Continue working at least part-time. If you don't have to work volunteer.
Keep busy!

what is acting old? If the criteria is complaining about ailments and not doing anything about it, and not being physically active and utterly lazy then that applies to people of all ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 11:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
The only thing I have considered is breast reduction surgery/lift but the benefit (wearing cute little bras - or, dare I even think it, NO bra! less sag!) does NOT seem worth the risk of real surgery to have it done (nor the real risk of losing all sensation), nor do I have that kind of money just moldering somewhere waiting to be spent.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:35 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The only thing I have considered is breast reduction surgery/lift but the benefit (wearing cute little bras - or, dare I even think it, NO bra! less sag!) does NOT seem worth the risk of real surgery to have it done (nor the real risk of losing all sensation), nor do I have that kind of money just moldering somewhere waiting to be spent.

It IS major surgery---let me tell you. Drains, catheters, all that. Scarring disappears in a year, so that's not an issue. Loss of sensation is possible, but didn't happen in my case.

But it was life-changing and one of the best things I ever did. However, going bra-less is STILL not an option, and a side effect in my case was...er, ah, more prominent "headlights", so yeah, still gotta have that bra------grrrrr---- BUT, no more sag!

P.S. Although mine was in the U.S., friends here did it for around $2,300 and are very pleased.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
At least go to a good hair stylist and have someone look over your wardrobe. My daughter chooses my clothes. I have no style. I color my hair and am a size 8 or 10, nothing anorexic. I would like to go to the gym more, but I have arthritis. Don't act "old" and complain about all of your ailments. Continue working at least part-time. If you don't have to work volunteer.
Keep busy!

Your arthritis would likely feel much better if you did go to the gym.

Me - 58 but look at least 10 years younger; very few wrinkles (redhead coloring?); color my roots; regular manicures and pedicures (pedicures really help if you walk/run a lot to not get toe and foot blisters); have a trainer that I love.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:

Keep busy!
Working part-time in a workplace after retirement or after quitting a full-time job as an older person is the very last thing on the face of the earth that I would ever want to do!!

And finding a good fit or a satisfying position or a situation that works for volunteering can be much more difficult than is always glibly suggested.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-29-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 03:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Wow. I can't believe so many women have had face lifts! I mean actually wanting someone to slice their faces open and then cut skin and stitch it all up seems crazy to me.

I thought plastic surgery was only being undertaken by some image conscious actresses - not the general public.

Kind of shocked.

Whatever happened to "aging gracefully?" It just seems like such denial. You can workout, eat healthy, live healthy, have great hygiene, tend to your hair and nails, but slicing your face open? And from the responses, this is considered "normal."

Old 12-29-2017, 05:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I can't be the only person who is amused by a poster with the name "nobodys business" who is passing judgement on other posters in a thread.

I suspect that a lot of the women in the thread who have had plastic surgery had it during their working years, when a woman is judged MUCH more harshly on her apparent age and appearance than a man.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wow. I can't believe so many women have had face lifts! I mean actually wanting someone to slice their faces open and then cut skin and stitch it all up seems crazy to me.

I thought plastic surgery was only being undertaken by some image conscious actresses - not the general public.

Kind of shocked.

Whatever happened to "aging gracefully?" It just seems like such denial. You can workout, eat healthy, live healthy, have great hygiene, tend to your hair and nails, but slicing your face open? And from the responses, this is considered "normal."
I prefer "aging with attitude".

We live once in life and if it makes people (women and yes men) feel better, what's the problem? Obviously you'd be surprised how many people have things done, I know, I was. Some because don't like their big nose, other because their eyelids were so heavy they were tired all the time (like me), others because they're boobs are big, others too small. Others work out like crazy and just can't get rid of that belly.

Last edited by petch751; 12-29-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 PM

143 posts, read 111,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
This is one thing I did after I retired at 58 yrs old and wish I had done it years ago-especially before this "spare tire" claimed my midsection after menopause. I think menopause was also the culprit that made my breasts even bigger than they had been. At the time of the surgery, I probably should have been wearing a 36DD which is a lot of boob on someone 5'2''. I hated the size but more so, I hated the discomfort of underwire digging into me especially when sitting down. The first thing I would do upon arriving home was to rip the sucker off. Even that wasn't completely comfortable with all the weight now free and hanging. And at that size, you HAVE to wear underwire or you will have a shapeless blob on your chest. I am now a nice large B-small C and it feels great. Oh-and no problem finding a bathing suit anymore either!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
The first thing I would do upon arriving home was to rip the sucker off.
Bra off, day over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement