Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:24 AM

858 posts, read 953,171 times

Advertisements

I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

Am I getting there myself? I'm (only?) 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,216,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I find functions in the new smart phones un-intuitive to me. Believe it or not, I used have website usability as part of my work duties, so I thought I'm somewhat tech savvy.

Makes me think of the times when we laugh at our grandparents for not knowing how the remote control works.

When you start thinking like this, just imagine the things you can do that others cannot.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:29 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,952,261 times
Quote:

Older here but I resemble that. I use to be the one people came to and I never read directions or needed to. Now it is WTHeck

Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,573,952 times
It's not just you. "Smart" (if I was speaking, I would also be using air quotes with my hands) have awful interfaces and require about 5 steps for every task that should only need one or two.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:48 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,896,208 times
From the very start of computer technology too many developers produced interfaces focusing on the technical function rather than the user point of view.

I remember many times I lectured talented programmers on the issue telling them the end user does not see themselves as modifying databases, but rather performing a function whether it be paying a bill, keeping a list, buying, etc.

I find most user interfaces sacrifice simple usability to expand functions and I don't like them.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM

3,604 posts, read 7,881,468 times
1. Non intuitive interface is usually the fault of the designer.

2. Apple USED to be the usability king. But the desire for minimalism has made them less discoverable.

3. Sometimes there are just too many functions.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:23 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,088,773 times
Un-intuitive or just poor design? I am amazed at the poor ergonomics and design of most devices, software and apps. Try to hand your cellphone to someone or to change hands on your own phone. There is no where to touch the phone without changing something. There is a touch screen and the edges have additional control buttons.

I am flabbergasted at the design of my most recent semi-pro DSLR camera. Canon has been making cameras for years and the new camera is full of unnecessary stuff but lacks essentials that were on my old camera. The details are too esoteric to explain here but every photographer must just shake their head in disbelief.

A couple of years ago I needed a small laptop to take on an extended vacation. I could only find them with Windows 8. Microsoft has thousands and thousands of employees and a long history and virtual monopoly in designing computer operating systems. No doubt about it, Windows 8 was a disaster that Microsoft had to replace as soon as possible. How could they be that incompetent?

Old 12-23-2017, 09:24 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,500,284 times
Quote:

Depends on the brand of smart phone. I find Samsung to be particularly unintuitive. Apple on the other hand I find to be very intuitive.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 2,997,408 times
I have discovered a couple of things about my ability to deal with technology as I get older.

The first is that there is generally a point somewhere in the middle of any technology that for me, anyway, is the sweet spot. I did a lot of word processing in my career, starting with some of the earliest dedicated word processors and going through all the iterations of Word. There came a time when the new version we were presented with was just awful--it tried to think for me and anticipate what I was trying to do, like starting a numbered list just because I had used the numeral one, completing words unasked, etc. At that point, all of us who were really skilled in word processing became incredibly frustrated. It slowed us down and caused a lot of irritation. And every update after that made everything worse.

The other thing I will say is that I feel that if I had kept up with each new smart phone as it came out, I would probably be fine with using one now, but I didn't. So I have my flip phone and I don't care anyway. I've borrowed my DH's smart phone and found that it is really good at one thing--wasting my time.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
Maybe OP is getting smarter/wiser and what I've heard about these apps...good lord.

I can live very very well without them and have been doing so thru all this tech explosion. This grandma doesn't need apps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement